mikerno_1micha

Variegated Gollum, skinny fingers or 'Legolas' pics here please)

myermike_1micha

Here is my 'Legolas' that a few people wanted me to share. It's getting bigger by the day..I'm debating whether I should start selling pieces of it like many I shared it with have been doing, or still saving a a few cuttings here and there for special people like should I say as gifts or trade to keep it a bit rare that way? I think of this all the time....)

Any suggestions?

Should I make it widely available like some seem to be doing by selling it and make a profit? By the time I do, maybe it will be too late to make anything worth value.

Many seem to think the value or something being rare takes back seat over making a few bucks..I was always preferring trading or making it a special gift...Not sure of what to do.................

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

woodnative, I don't think I have your email, and I don't see a way to message you on here. I'd love to buy another cutting from you, if you have any more to spare.

• oks2n2_Siberia1

My dear american friends!

My Legolas grow as regular Jades from +5C to +45C (from +34F to +104F) in the gritty mix with a very small amount of peat. Most importantly, I water all Jades only with soft water (distillate) with the addition of potassium nitrate. Then they become insensitive to hot sun and cold temps and water. And I grow under the led phyto-lights only, not white led lights. White leds are destined for people.

Stush

Aloe is not Jade. It can overwinter with a lack of light and its leaves become red.

Sincerely,

Oksana

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Poet, I am so so sorry. I am re reading this and see that you have tried to reach me?

I am planning on selling a couple cuttings too. I first wanted to offer here before I go to E-bay. Let me know if anyone is interested since I do have a cutting as we speak.

Nice Gollum by the way!! That's on my bucket list!! Some one here shared one with me but it's green now((

Mike

• poetiquette
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thanks Mike.

I am always interested... it's like an addiction that I can't kick.
  • poetiquette

Please send over photos.
    I will email as followup as well.

• woodnative

Wendy aka "S Lazy Dog" keep an eye on your mailbox for a small cardboard box in a couple days......Thursday according to the PO. : )

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

Chris, tried to email you. I have two email for you and one failed. Anyway, look for a box maybe Thursday.

Oks, I have kept all my jades in a sunny south facing window. Most of my smaller aloes and huernias and such are kept during winter under LED's which are so much better and cheaper than the fluorescents I used to use.

Mike and all else, here's the pictures of me entering the Legolas club.

As received;

As planted;

Now;

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Stush! It's still looking great! I knw it would be in good hands with you. Ilooks like it actually may have roots, but you will know once new growth commences. I am proud of you)) Enjoy

I will be selling this much bigger piece for 150..Yes, I have seen some sold on E-bay for over 1000 dollars almost the size on my mother plant and more than this for a cutting smaller in which this cutting is pretty big. I don't want to sell here but in private. I will work something out over e-mail before it goes up for auction)

I just can't afford to keep giving them away at times but I also would trade a smaller cutting for something like that variegated hobbit!!

Now, I REALLY need to get a cutting of that variegated 'gollum' that you have Stupidlazydog! Beautiful..

Take a look

Mike)

• poetiquette

Hey Mike,

I sent you an email earlier. Did you receive it?

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

Mike, would you trade a piece of your Legolas for a piece of my variegated Gollum? Whenever you have a piece to spare.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Stupidlazydog, I do have another piece and it's already starting to root. Funny, you should have a couple of these on hand in case one does not make it. But the bigger the better, because one can still break down another piece like the one I am selling.

Sure, just e-mail me. I am getting a root on that one already. It's looking very nice and the perfect colors. I will take a pic if you would like. I love yours too and that is one mising from my collection)

Poet, I will post my e-mail here so that you can e-mail..No problem. Many here already have my e-mail anyways. Some even have my phone number, and yet some have been to the beach with me. Ha)

mikerno_1@yahoo.com

• poetiquette

Yep.
    That was the email that I used this morning.

I will send you another.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hi, everyone!

Mike, I repotted my weak 'Legolas' today. I used a terracotta pot as you suggested, although I wanted one just a little bit smaller. I think it'll be okay, though, since it is very hot here and will dry at a good rate.

I also amended the mix. There was a good amount of potting mix already, so I added more of the brown/red scoria (lava rock). I will try to fertilize more often now.

I will take better pics when I go back outside.

• woodnative

My thoughts is that is a lot of plant supported by very little chlorophyll. You might get a better plant by rerooting the top. Just my opinion.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Josh, good job!! That mix looks like it might stay moist fir a good root system.

Chris made a great point. I too would hack the top off and the start with that cutting. Your not afraid to hack anything. Ha

Too. I never put mine into full day hot sun. It destroys and leaves and can over heat the roots in which this one has very sensitive roots.

I would give sunlight behind a screen or early morning and late morning sun.

Mines Always perform horribly in direct hot sun like any of my other jades buddy.

I‘m glad you decided to fix it. Please keep us posted. It will be a splendid plant once again )))

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, fellas! Thank you!

Yes, indeed, I do plan to hack the plant back to root a better plant. I will wait for at least a few weeks until the plant is settled again, and growth resumes. Keep your fingers crossed.

No hot sun for this one. I have it in a shaded spot, but still a very bright spot under an umbrella. I will move it around to keep it as happy as can be.

Josh

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Josh, I think after all that work it will take off just fne. Funny, I had lost interest in mine for a while, left it alone and it started to look bad, but after a little more attention, poof, better. I had to do a repot, and started fertilizing it more. The white leaves were starting to turn brown at the tips and the new leaves were shrinking or growing in very tine. It just does not like the full sun this time of the year, even here, weird. It does not do that to me until about May. So I stick it behind a screen in my sunny window and it's ok.

Good job and please keep us posted.

Stupidlazydog, I can't wait to get mine and I'll bet you can't wait to get yours. I will see Nancy tomorrow. Anytime on a FRiday or Saturday you guys feel like taking a ride to the beach, let me know. We can all go together. You can stop by my house too.

Troy, I can't wait until you get yours. Please let me know when you do. I would love to see it all potted up and ready to root. If you need any support or know how, feel free to aks any of us. Nice

Mike

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

woodhaven, your package arrived today. Thank you so much! I will put a check in the mail to you tomorrow.

Mike, It's been so cool and rainy, the beach sounds like fun. I gave your var. Gollum cutting to Nancy yesterday. I can't wait to get the cutting from you! It will be so exciting to have 2 Legolas cuttings. Hopefully they both root and grow well :-)

Nancy, thank you so much for acting as go-between so Mike and I don't have to mail the cuttings. And, even more, thank you for the Hummel's Sunset and Denethor cuttings.

Now the pressures on to get these to root and grow!

• woodnative

SLD, Glad it arrived and hope you are happy with it. The stem has some substance so it should root relatively easily. 'Denethor' looks like an interesting one to grow too. Enjoy them!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Chris, looks like you had some serious storms roll through. Hoping you were ok.

Josh, that sounds like a plan. I am so glad you decided to do what you did. It will be looking great sooner than later buddy.

SLD, guess what? No worries about the cutting I sent back with Nancy. I didn't tell you that it already had roots that I started. Little, but yes, a very good start, Give it lots of morning or late afternoon sunshine until you see growth then more sunshine behind a window with a screen. It will do great for you. And the cutting I got from you, it is such a cute thing. Even my mother liked it and she is not one much for plants. She just might adopt it. Thank you. You can water like you would any other plant you grow.

• nanzjade z5 MA

Hi everyone. As Mike mentioned, here is the Legolas with roots for SLD. He also potted it as well. I’m hoping to meet up with SLD today.

• nanzjade z5 MA

Thanks again Mike for the visit yesterday, it truly was a great time and extremely enjoyable to take in all the beauty in your yard. I hope we can plan a day for others to enjoy it too and visit the beach again.
    Here’s Pics of Mikes mother Legolas... it really is outstanding!!
    Josh, its wonderful to see that you repotted your Legolas and I hope it improves for you. They are a rather challenging, I actually left my Legolas with Mike.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, all! Thank you for sharing those pics!

Josh

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

Here are my new little Legolases (Legoli?)

on the left is the one from woodnative and on the right its the one from Mike. Thank you both!

Nancy, thank you for meeting me with the cutting from Mike, and thank you for my new little aloe :-)

Is this a variegated Aloe vera?

• woodnative

They look great!!!! That looks like variegated Aloe ‘Soothing Stripes’. Fun to grow and every new pup is different. Good luck with the Legoli!

• nanzjade z5 MA

You’re welcome. They look great, SLD! I wish you lots of luck with them and hope to see your updates on them in the future.
    Woodnative, you’re correct with the aloe’s ID :)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

I love the Variegated Aloe Chris gave me years ago. Feb. 2012. It was half the size of yours Windy.

I love anything variegated.

• geoforce

SLD... I really like gollum, and someday will probably try to get one of these variegated ones. I sure wish you luck with those and you can grow them toward the goal to match Mike's. That aloe is really something. Hardly looks real it's so pale.

• woodnative

Stush I hope you got my e-mail. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! SLD, Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

Chris, I think so. And your welcome. Can't repay you with so much you given me over the years. Nice to be able to give something back.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Stush, I know I already thanked you, but just another thank you for those cuttings. Such a great set of them. I hope your cutting is doing ok ))

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

Mike, cutting is growing. Doesn't mean it has roots yet but keeping it protected and in bright shade.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Stush, that is great) The fact that it is holding it's own is fantastic news. I am very happy for you! MY cuttings are doing well too.

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

So far, so good for mine :-)

• woodnative

Just playing around with the phone camera

• woodnative

Any updates on people's 'Legolas' jades??

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

I showed this on Jades I bought on Facebook.

The center one Mike gave me; Getting many more leaves but not getting any bigger. Like no stems.

Woodnative; Yours is the one on the left.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Well, the tiny piece of 'Legolas' that I had from the original plant from Mike is still alive and seems to be growing some leaves. I am also attempting to root a leaf to see what happens, but nothing so far.

Josh

• woodnative

Green man I find these do better in a less gritty, more organic mix. Stush they look great! That young plant from Mike looks great and a typical young ‘Legolas’. Did that one from me show any variegation? Here is one of my Legolas.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Yeah, I made this mix special for this cutting with extra potting soil and organic material.

Takes longer to wet, longer to drain. I don't really like it, but if that's what it takes to keep this plant going, so be it.

Josh

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

You guys are all doing a great job!!!
    Chris , what exactly does your mix comprise of and do you grow it in a clay pot? Please share my friend. It’s thriving.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

Chris, Still waiting for some variegation. Currently under strong LED shop light from Walmarts. My mix is pure compost from my own well rotted grass clipping pile. Since using it on my Snake plants, I have seen great root growth and vigor.

Just found out about something called 'Stump Tea' sold by HTG Supply. It is a compost tea with tons of micros that make root growth. So far so good. PITA to make up properly. Mix bag in a large drum with an air stone. In a few days start taking the water to water the plants with. Can't use tap water unless you let it set a week to remove chemicals.

Mike, still waiting to hear from you about the Aloe offer?? I still owe postage from last plant you sent.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Made an exciting discovery today while inspecting my 'Legolas.' The solo leaf that's been in the pot for months has finally rooted! Now to see if the leaflet shares the characteristics of the parent.

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

Hi everyone, all of your plants look great! My little Legolas from Mike has been doing really well so far...

• woodnative

sld that looks great!!! Sorry the one from me did not make it but you are growing if fine now and that one from Mike is doing excellent!!! Greenman I have not (YET!) gotten a variegated 'Legolas' from a leaf......just solid green or albino. That is awesome!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Josh, hey, for months?? Wow, just goes to show you how long a leaflet can survive before rooting. Graet job buddy.

Chirs, still looking great.

Stush, thank you for your kindness as always. I would love a white Aloe if it's the same one that Rina posted. Gracious my friend and I hope you are well these days. Can't wait for the warm weather to stay instead of taking off every few days.

SLD, I am impressed. Looking mighty fine there. That makes me smile.

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, Mike!

Yeah, way back when you guys advised me to chop up my 'Legolas' and re-root it, that leaf happened to fall off; and, because it was a good balance of half green half white, I figured I'd try to root it. That was last June, just a little over 8 months ago!!!

Chris, I expect the 'Legolas' leaflet to go one way or the other, too....but I'll keep my fingers crossed until then!

Josh