Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patricia_wise

Master Bedroom - Creating More Closet/Storage Space in a Small Room

patricia_wise
11 years ago
Our Master Bedroom is 11' x 17' (BR "B" on the Floor Plan). We need to lose the only closet in order to enlarge the main bath. I would like to add closets along one wall (the long wall with the window) on either side of the window. With a King-size bed, it is going to be close - no more than 30" between the end of the bed and closet, but this seems to be the best solution. Other ideas?

I was thinking that having Japanese Screen-type "barn" doors might be a way of keeping them light and airy - anyone out there try this? Advice? Sources?

Also, I was thinking of making the whole room an Asian theme. Any suggestions for a platform bed with storage underneath?

Comments (19)

• a_rainbow
    11 years ago
    ^^Except where does a bed go! I like the above comment as well and now you can put a separate vanity sink outside the one bath where the removed closet is. One sink inside one sink outside. More functional when someone just needs sink but tub is being used. But the windows don't allow for easy placement of a bed! What kind of windows are they? Are both typical egress dimensions or is one a higher clerestory type?
  • Becky
    11 years ago
    Turn the bed on an angle in the upper left corner.
  • a_rainbow
    11 years ago
    I thought of that, but she states its a king bed.... The corner void behind bed would be huge?
  • qam999
    11 years ago
    Make the "powder room" into a closet.
  • patricia_wise
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Well, the windows are large sash windows in stone walls so they can't move. And we need more bathrooms, not less, so losing the powder room would create another problem. I tried measuring out the king size bed in the corner and, on one hand, it seems like it would fit rather neatly between the windows but the problem with that is it only leaves 24" between the corner of the bed and the wall, restricting access to the bathroom.
  • a_rainbow
    11 years ago
    What's budget like?
  • a_rainbow
    11 years ago
    I mean how much work can be done?
  • patricia_wise
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Well, I'm looking for the most bang for the buck. But, I'm not increasing the footprint - I'm committed to making efficient use of my 1953 rancher without knocking out any (more) of the stone walls. I am looking into King-size beds with built-in "dresser" drawers underneath (which probably won't work with the bed in the corner). The house, in general, is low on closet space, so I need to increase it in this room while losing the original closet - which was a pain anyway since it was behind the door.

I've been trying to figure out the Shoji screens to see if I could just build simple closets - with just a 2' wall coming out on both sides of the window and a vanity underneath the window.
  • 4isablessing
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    West elm has a platform bed with storage underneath.
    It also has the matching side tables. '
    I would put the bed by the wall where the old closet used to be if it fits there. Not by the window.
    Good luck with the renovation.
  • mjlb
    11 years ago
    Kaplan Architect's idea seems perfect to me... ideally with a pocket door into the room, so that the new closet wall is easily accessible. The room would be 11 x 15 -- plenty of space for king bed, altho' it would have to go on a window wall.
  • mjlb
    11 years ago
    Maybe like this?

Traditional Bedroom design by Atlanta Interior Designer The Belding Group, Inc
  • mjlb
    11 years ago
    woops - photo didn't work.. I'll try again:
    [houzz=
    Landrum SC residence · More Info
    ]
  • mjlb
    11 years ago
    While 11 x 15 is an okay size, I think making the room 9 x 17 is much less workable.
  • PRO
    Stephanie Bonini
    11 years ago
    Sliding doors on wardrobe units can definitely help keep walk-ways clear and would help, as 30" is a very narrow walk way. You'll want to be very conscious of door size and swing if you go with a traditional door.

However I always worry about clients being happy with looking at wardrobe units from their bed. If this is the only option, you might want to consider adding some lighting or decorative glass into the units to give a more serene effect.

If you are going to enlist the help of a pro, California Closets is a great option. We can show you the whole space in 3D and have endless options for materials, colors, lighting and decorative additions. We are also experts at maximizing space with a small footprint in the room, a key component to your dilemma!
    Good luck!
  • PRO
    Bartels Doors & Hardware
    8 years ago

Hi there!
    We have a few ideas to help you achieve that modern design with
    something truly unique while making practical use of the space in your bedroom.

We offer a sliding door that can cover a closet or any storage.

Sliding Doors

We also offer ladder systems which are telescopic. Therefore, they
    will lay straight up and can be pulled out once ready to climb and reach
    items. Also, in this same image we
    offer sliding doors and hardware that will allow you to make practical
    use of space by removing the need for swing space when installing a door
    for either a closet or opening from another room.

Modern Library Ladders

We have many barn door systems and ladders you can choose from and we can ship our hardware almost anywhere!
    Hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to reach out to
    us by emailing info@bartelsdoors.com or by calling 954.924.6137.

• PRO
    Deborah Broockerd/DkB Design Services
    6 years ago

Contact a custom closet company to help you design & build the new closet wall. You'll save space by not having traditional walls & can have the new closet depth at as little as 22 1/2". I do a lot of closet walls in historic rowhouses in DC - you'll be amazed at the function & beauty you can achieve.

• mjd232
    6 years ago
    Why is the door to the powder room from the master bedroom?
  • frostedsleet
    6 years ago
    Old 2013 Post