Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qbryant

Smooth vs wood grain hardie

qbryant
8 years ago

Looking to use 6 inch exposed hardie lap on a white farmhouse,I like the look of the artisan siding but the regular smooth is more in our budget,it looks alittle more modern as well,and we like that buy is one better at hiding flaws etc.

Comments (42)

• JDS
    8 years ago

Hardie Plank Lap Siding is sold in "Select Cedarmill" (imitation roughsawn) and Smooth as well as Beaded Cedarmill and Smooth so if you keep within your budget you can have either finish.

IMO painted imitation roughsawn cedar looks a little silly since the real stuff would be stained instead of painted.

• mushcreek
    8 years ago

We used a wood grain Nichiha lap siding, as we got it at a great price. Not my first choice, but it looks better than I thought it would. Smooth might stay a little cleaner, as I've noticed that the grain gets dusty.

• llcp93
    8 years ago

We used the wood grain Hardie Plank siding on our 1897 Farm House and had it painted blueish grey and white. This was our only option in Hardie other than smooth, from what I recall, as we did it back in 2010. I don't think it looks silly at all.

• ascorsonelli
    8 years ago

Went with smooth (for the more modern look you mention) and painted it. I love it!

But...... the seams are easily visible. Especially if you're doing the porch ceiling in smooth.

• qbryant
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Would love to see some more pics,looks great.
    Quintonjenn@yahoo.com
  • ILoveRed
    8 years ago

We used the wood grain. It was pre-painted. House is ten yrs old. We re-painted this fall. If I used fiber cement again, I think I would choose smooth. Just like the look better.

• JDS
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears to me that Hardie is offering fiber-cement lap siding that is intended to look as much as possible like traditional smooth and rough sawn cedar lap siding.

Smooth cedar lap siding is clear, knot-free cedar planed to be completely smooth so it can be stained or painted. Rough sawn cedar lap siding is a lesser grade of cedar with imperfections that is cut with a large circular or band saw with no further surface treatment so the face grain is raised. In addition to the raised grain, a circular saw will leave curved marks and a band saw will leave vertical marks. It is too rough to be painted so it is usually stained or left unfinished.

What Hardie calls Cedarmill lap siding has an exaggerated raised grain but it is smooth enough to be painted and has no saw marks so it looks more like something produced in a mold rather than a sawmill.

I believe that if you must copy something, it is important to copy it well.

Rough sawn cedar lap siding (cut with a band saw):

Hardie Cedarmill lap siding

• Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
    8 years ago

To each their own. I like he Hardie cedarmill lap siding well enough...

• qbryant
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Great reference,thanks!
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

The problem is neither side is completely correct for an old house. The smooth side looks too smooth and the wood grain side looks too rough. So what's the answer?

• JDS
    8 years ago

Smooth vertical-grain resawn pine and cedar "clapboard" lap siding is still being made the same way it was in the early 19th century except the saws are no longer powered by water. First grade smooth lap siding has a vertical grain to reduce warping and hide the grain of the wood for painting. Rough sawn lap siding is a lesser grade that is flat-sawn with a face grain. I'm not aware of any intermediate grade of sawn lap siding other than smooth and rough.

Most of my house still has smooth painted white pine clapboards installed in 1891.

• LE
    8 years ago

The grained version looks fake to me when I see it up close, but it's fine from a distance. (We did use the smooth, but not for lap siding, it was a reverse board and batten installation.)

• JDS
    8 years ago

The only wood I have seen that looks like that is sandblasted hardwood.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

So being that someone like myself is limited to hardie, then smooth side is better. I was leaning that way, but wasn't 100% sure.

• JDS
    8 years ago

I believe most imitative trim is reversible but I wasn't aware that HardiePlank was. Consider using the Beaded Smooth HardiePlank to add some character.

• JDS
    8 years ago

I've never had a client who wanted anything other than natural materials on the face of their house so I only know what I read about fiber-cement siding. If I were to suggest a fiber-cement product, I would prefer shingles because they add texture to the house and eliminate corner boards, a huge architectural bonus IMO.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I do agree with you and would prefer shingles too but the hardie shingles are double the price of the lap siding.

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

Double? Wow!

• JDS
    8 years ago

Then factory dipped or pressure treated cedar shingles are still a good choice.

• rwiegand
    8 years ago

I wouldn't put up with such a poor, rough finish on my cedar clapboards so I certainly wouldn't tolerate it on a manufactured product. There's nothing more irritating than "the look of real wood"-- it almost never looks anything like wood. The fake raised grain is just nasty.

• JDS
    8 years ago

Painted lap siding with corner boards creates a uniform semi-formal texture that works well with certain house designs but if you are considering the Craftsman Style, although it is not necessary to adhere to all of the characteristics of that style, because it springs from such a rich and influential design philosophy, those characteristics deserve to be considered before selecting exterior cladding that might even contradict that philosophy.

"The American Arts and Crafts Movement shared the British movement's reform philosophy, encouraging originality, simplicity of form, local natural materials, and the visibility of handicraft ..." Wikapedia

I have often selected painted lap siding with corner boards for Victorian and Colonial Revival house styles and although Hardie is not made for 4" to-the-weather coursing, I'm sure it could be substituted for painted cedar clapboards. For less formal houses, I often select treated cedar shingles with no corner boards to emphasize the massing and roof forms of the house. I don't add windows or other design elements until the 3D massing model is acceptable without them.

Because the house shown below was deep in a forest I wanted the siding to be red cedar shingles with dark green windows but the owners preferred white cedar with a bleaching oil and white windows that I think would be more appropriate on the ocean but it worked out fine.

There is no end of variations possible with cedar shingles especially the stained and pressure treated kind.

• ksc36
    8 years ago

Hardie is made for 4" exposure and is quite common in this area (Boston).

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Beautiful and as it turns out when I was googling cedar shakes, this house you worked on came up in my search. :)

I'm going to stick with the hardie smooth side, and assume I should do 4" exposure? I know my old 1898 house had cedar with that narrow an exposure.

• amberm145
    8 years ago

Hardie plank is "always" done in the fake wood grain around here. I prefer the smooth. It would have been the same price, but would have been a special order, a few weeks to come in. We had a siding crew ready to start "tomorrow", so I had to go with the wood grain. Then the siding crew disappeared, and the material sat on site for 6 months. But given that stuff is practically as expensive as gold and not returnable, I was stuck with the grained. Grrr. The trim I could specify in smooth or fake grain.

• housebuilding126
    8 years ago

ascorsonelli - Could you tell me what exposure you had on the siding? Also, what product did you use for trim and the posts? Looks beautiful!

• ascorsonelli
    8 years ago

Thanks Dreamhouse! I believe it's the 6" but will measure tomorrow. Everything is Hardie--trim and posts included. Contractor built the latter to my specs.

• housebuilding126
    8 years ago

Thank you! I'd love to see any other pics of your project exterior. Did you use smooth Hardie trim for the posts? Thanks!

• ascorsonelli
    8 years ago

Turns out it's 8 1/4" (7" exposure). Best I can tell everything except the underside trim (what's the proper terminology??) is smooth. Like I mentioned before, the porch ceiling left plenty to be desired--but that could be bc of a poor install?!

Window trim
    Underside and post
    Ceiling
    half of front porch

• Ron Natalie
    8 years ago

It looks silly because real wood siding when installed new would hot have grain texture on it unless you really screwed up the installation (makes no difference if it was painted or stain). I paid extra to have my siding smooth so it looks like wood siding rather than a vinyl imitation of wood.

• housebuilding126
    8 years ago

Hahaha! Don't feel bad dantastic, I will probably still use textured siding despite the bashing it has received on this thread. I feel like it will probably hide all the dents from the pucks and baseballs better...Ugly siding lovers unite! ;)

• housebuilding126
    8 years ago

And thank you, ascorsonelli! I love the styling of your exterior! Did you get pre-finished or did you paint? If so, what color? Love the light grey.

• ascorsonelli
    8 years ago

Aww, shucks ;) Thanks for the kind words! It was unfinished that we had painted. DH actually picked the final color (after I gave him choices of course)! Sherwin Williams Mineral Deposit

• keywest230
    8 years ago

ascorsonelli:. When my builder uses Hardie for porch ceilings like yours, he uses Hardie 1 x 3 trim pieces to create a 4 ft by 4 ft grid pattern which completely hides those seams. Looks like nicely trimmed out 4' x 4' panels.

• corimike
    7 years ago

ascorsonelli: Love your house! Did you find that imperfections in paint were more easily visible with the smooth Hardie? I am building a house that is traditional in style, but I like the smooth finish. Trying to decide which to use, and my husband thinks the one advantage to wood-grain is that paint drips will be more easily disguised. Do you still love your smooth finish? Thanks!

• phooneycat
    7 years ago

zookeeper93, I love your house color! Can you tell me the name of the paint color that you used?

• ascorsonelli
    7 years ago

@keywest230, yes! We ended up doing the same to hide the seams.

@corimike, I haven't noticed any paint issues. Still loving the smooth! I personally think the wood-grain looks too fake, but I'll tell you, someone thought our smooth-finish was mdf! Yikes.

• corimike
    7 years ago

@ascorsonelli Thanks for the response! What did you end up doing for exterior window trim? Did you do something smooth, rough sawn?

• Carolyn Miller
    6 years ago

I would like to know if you should use smooth trim on the cedar rough siding. We will be painting our farmhouse white with black shutters. I liked the smooth siding but our contractor talked us into rough!!

• dsc
    last year

Any followup on using hardie cedar rough siding with smooth trim?

• millworkman
    last year

What type of followup are you looking for? There should be nothing wrong or any reason why is would not work fine.

• dsc
    last year

Have you guys done this? eg Hardie board board&batten with Cedarmill panel and smooth trim and bats? Does it look good? Maybe better than all cedarmill (too rustic looking?) or all smooth (too modern/clean/bland?)?