Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol_racine

landscaping front yard

Carol Racine
8 years ago

I recently bought this house and hate the landscaping of the front yard. I live in Alberta in zone 2. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (12)

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

It is bad. Have you ever transplanted anything? That conifer needs to be moved. The lined bricks are not attractive. I would get them all together and store them for when you might need one. Is gardening something that you enjoy doing? If not then I think it would be wise to make the plan as simple as possible. In Spring you will see what comes up and you can identify what you want to keep. I don't like to get rid of plants so I would keep it all. It does look to me as if some things might need divided and redistributed. It is best to have some orderliness about plant locations. Like in home decorating things are combined in different textures and leaf color to make it more interesting. It is also best to plant groupings of plants as opposed to one long line. Annuals are not to be lined up either. That is called the toy soldier type of gardening. What is the plant-looking thing just out of view to the left of the camera.

Carol Racine thanked emmarene9
  • Sigrid
    8 years ago

I'd replace the downspout that is not next to the house with a rain chain. Your conifer is too big for its spot. I'd move it to a corner in your back yard. Your beds are small, particularly the lower row. You will struggle to put in anything big enough to make an impact.

If you're in zone 2, you probably have long winters, so you want a mix of plants that will look good in winter. I'd put in a few giant alliums, the seed heads are sculptural. Look around to see what kind of decorative grasses neighbors have. Spirea will probably do well, they are smallish shrubs that flower.

Do you want to put in something and forget it? Or are you planning to take up gardening?

• Carol Racine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for suggestions I hate the look of it as well Would prefer shrubs that require little care

• Carol Racine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That tree off to the side is the same as the one you fully see in front. I had cleaned out the flower beds as what was there was dead or was weeds. Would like to put in better stone work and change the shape

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

It is good to take all the measurements and make a scale drawing. It is easier to design things that way. Don't plant shrubs too close the the house. Choose shrubs that stay low. Evergreens are good as suggested by Sigrid. I think a broadleaf evergreen would be better than a conifer. Could you post a photo taken from further back? It would help.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Dwarf varieties will stay smaller and be more maintenance free. Pretty ones in spring are azaleas and hydrangeas, but they do lose their leaves in winter.

• Sigrid
    8 years ago

Can she grow azaleas and hydrangeas in zone 2?

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Maybe not... but there should be some dwarf variety of plant that would keep its shape and not require nipping and pruning all the time.

• cmsmith96
    8 years ago

Any chance you could post a second photo of the entire front of the house?

• Carol Racine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions

• PRO
    Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Happy New Year! My daughter in Edmonton is hoping the temperature will get back into the double digits.

I'll just make a few quick suggestions for you to consider while the ground is frozen.

a) Engulf the front downspount in the upright evergreen shrub that you are moving out of the nearby bed.

b) Remove All of the block bed edging, at least from the front yard, as it cheapens the look of the handsome brick and siding.

c) Add brick paving the full width of the front entry porch to follow the concrete walk beyond the front of the garage, where you will widen it into a small terrace, adequate to support a couple chairs and a small table for a couple drinks of hot chocolate. Make it circular, perhaps, as you have too many angles as it is.

d) Take a look, you have created an outdoor room, a welcoming area for your family as well as your guests. Hope that gets you started.

Analyze first, then plan.

Carol Racine thanked Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch