Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tandyvanjones

Replacing only one white appliance with stainless steel?

tandyvanjones
8 years ago
Our refrigerator is dying and the model that we want is $800 less expensive
In stainless steel than in white. Our dishwasher and oven are white and will not be replaced now. Is this a terrible design idea? Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    8 years ago

The stainless steel refrigerator will look great in your kitchen. In our own kitchen, we had all white appliances and when the old fridge needed replacing, we bought a SS one. Recently the white microwave died and we replaced it with SS. Your sink is SS and that probably never worried you, so feel free to put in a SS fridge.

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Eventually the stove and dishwasher will need replacing, too. Try comparison shopping for prices on white vs. stainless steel for identical models of those items. Usually white is cheaper by hundreds of dollars for mid range appliances (check http://www.ajmadison.com ) You can decide to save money on the fridge, but if you want stainless down the line for the others, they'll probably cost you more.

• Kathi Steele
    8 years ago

I have a stainless refrigerator and white everything else. I tied it together with stainless drawer pulls, stainless sink and stainless faucet. I also built it in so all you see is the front of the fridge.

The sides of stainless refrigerators are not stainless, they are usually black. You can disguise the side with paint, contact paper, wood etc. so the black does not distract in your kitchen.

• saratogaswizzlestick
    8 years ago

It will look fine. You already have the stainless knobs so it is tied in.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

i think of stainless as vanilla... it goes with any other color. we have some appliances white and some stainless based on availability of the exact brand and model we wanted to buy, and it will stay that way as time goes on.

• acm
    8 years ago

Agree with much of above. Also, the answer might differ if your current appliances were black, or if your cabinets were brown, but honestly, white appliances disappear into white cabinets, so you can replace them as slowly as you wish. However, agree with apple_pie that you should look at prices for other appliances you might want, as it's *very* rare for white to cost more.

• Valerie Toms
    7 years ago

I hate the look of stainless steel. It makes me think of an unfinished car. I am building a new beach house and would love to know what else I could do. Please Help Me!

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    7 years ago

There's now a black stainless steel available. Or you can have a cabinet door covering your refrigerator and dishwasher.

• Valerie Toms
    7 years ago

I saw a black refrigerator in Costco that I loved. But I want my new kitchen, which will replace a galley kitchen to be light, so is there anything else?

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Try AJ Madison website for other appliance finishes. Depends on your cabinets I think. Natural darker wood like cherry can look okay with black appliances. Lighter cabinets, especially in beachy areas, can look okay with white appliances. Those and stainless are pretty much your choices.

Look at Google images for your cabinets and see what appliances they have used. See what you think. You can also Google cabinets with specific appliances.

In the grand scheme of things, your appliances are just a part of your kitchen, not the whole persona.

I have a stainless fridge and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Love the fridge, hate the finish because it is so hard to keep "clean"...according to my standards!!

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago
    I agree w/ those who think SS fridge will look fine. What strikes me is usually SS costs more than white. Several years ago when we bought free-standing (before our reno), we bought white b/c it was way cheaper than SS.
  • yvonnecmartin
    7 years ago

Although my other appliances are white, when I replaced our ovens, I chose stainless because they are at the end of a long run of a white counter-top and apposite to a stainless cover to our built-in grill (which we don't use). The stainless breaks up the alley effect of the white and looks deliberate, to me at least. I do have stainless knobs on the cabinets and a stainless toaster oven and breadbox opposite to the ovens. So, to me, the important thing is to be sure that there is enough stainless in the kitchen to make the choice look planned.