Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Mexican Grocery Store Visit = Mexican Detergent

enduring
8 years ago

I bought these powders today. I don't see HE on any of them. This may be a problem with my Miele, but I can use them in the Maytag TL. Can you use these in a front loader?

The store manager said he could see if there is Ariel powder for colors and order some. He uses the liquid Ariel. His mother came to visit from Venezuela for a month and scolded him for not using powder Ariel, LOL. He has a front loader.

What can I learn from you laundry detergent experts!!!

Comments (18)

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Did they have Foca? Its in a blue bag with a baby seal on it..it smells wonderful and used with STPP on whites does a fantastic job.

enduring thanked mamapinky0
  • enduring
    Original Author
    8 years ago

YEs Mamapinky, they had Foca. I have a bag that I bought from Walmart months ago and I love the smell. I haven't been using it much, but have in the TL with STPP.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

As for Ariels directions LOL.. I use 1/3-1/2 cup in a TL depending on soil level

• enduring
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good to know Mamap! The guy at the store read the directions and said it was cup for lightly soiled clothes and 1-1/2 cups for dirty load. Do you add anything else? I think I read that there were optical brighteners in the product. I am surprised there isn't a FL/HE version. Have you heard of a powder color version of Ariel? There was a color liquid version on the shelf, but I forgot to see if it was HE.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Yes the powder version of Ariel for colors is called Color and Style. I do have it and I've found no difference in scent, looks or how it works compared to powder Cheer..IMO they are the same product.

I have never found a HE version of Mexican Ariel...also it doesn't surprise me as to the high dose of Ariel that's recommended...inMexico with their poor water quality suds are highly saught after and the average household doesn't have HE machines indeed many still do hand washing. Laundry Detergent will be judged in Mexico as it suds a lot so its good or won't buy that again it hardly suds LOL.

I do think Larsi tried the Ariel in his Miele but it could have been his E-Lux. I don't think he was fond of the scent.

Ariels scent is unusual for sure but it will leave clothes smelling sooo fresh.

There is also a Euro version of Ariel but has to be ordered on line and won't have the phosphates.

As for adding anything to your Ariel..I don't add anything to it as it works so good on its own.

I just don't know if you will be able to add enough in the Miele to get the clothes clean yet not cause suds issues. I'm curious if someone else pops in about this.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Fun finds enduring! Yeah, a while back LaundryMitch sent me some Mexican Ariel... he like MamaP lovvvvvves it!! I however did not :( I did not care for the scent at all. I used it in my Miele, and I used 1.5 TBS for a large load. With that small amount, suds were not too bad actually. I found cleaning to be "ok", but I did not think my clothes looked or smelled particularly great. I might be in the minority though.

German Ariel powders for colours and whites I find phenomenal!! TRUE "he" and outstanding performance. They do not leave laundry that soft, but with some liquid fabric softener, the results are awesome!!

• sandy1616
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I use 2 Tbsp of Viva or Ariel in my Asko with no problems. I love Ariel. Dirt cheap per load and works well. My dosage for the Mex detergents is the same as US Tide and rinses better IMO. If you see it on your next trip the Pinol in the dark blue bag for whites is amazing. The scents are a lot different. I can't think of a sweet smelling detergent from Mexico. That said, the scents are stronger. I also love the tiny bags of detergent most carry. At 2 Tbsp per load the small bags are great for trying out detergents.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I have the Pinol with Bleach....works great. I also feel the Ariel rinses better than Tide but that could be do to the phosphates.

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

If anyone knows of Mexican grocers in Chicagoland that sell Mexican Ariel with phosphates, please let me know. I've checked a few in my neighborhood but no dice.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Can you do a google search? You will only find Ariel with phosphates at a Mexican grocer. .but it will most likely list water softener and not Sodium TriPolyPhosphates.

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

I did try that but, not surprisingly, most of the little Mexican grocers don't have a web presence :) I'll keep popping my head into various shops as I happen upon them, or wait to see if someone knows of one. Thanks!

• sandy1616
    8 years ago

Grew up in Lake Co. Should be plenty of Mexican groceries :). I've never translated the ingredient list but would think the bags printed in spanish would still have phosphates.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Sandy they do but P&G threw a fit when they couldn't stop the importing of Ariel to Mexican grocers in the US so they took it out of the ingredients listed. .in Mexico they don't have to list them. But P&G will be stopping all Phosphates in detergents around the beginning of the new year so everyone better get while the gettins good. I'm not buying any more Ariel I have plenty....but I wish I could find old stock of Foca with phosphates...its dang near impossiable to find now.

• sandy1616
    8 years ago

Maybe I'll grab a few extra bags so I don't regret it later. I assumed if it didn't say phosphate free on the label that they still contained phosphates?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Enduring..did you try the Ariel yet?

• enduring
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Haven't tried any yet. I don't generate a lot of laundry and DH load was just done this weekend. It will be next weekend before there is enough for the work clothes. I plan to just use the Ariel for the Maytag for now and see how it goes. I have the detergent sitting in my kitchen and I notice the scent, at least I think it is the Ariel. I can see how it might not be someones favorite, at least in the bag. I prefer the Viva plain at this point. I haven't used any of it though.

The Foca detergent that is available, does it have phosphates, if you get it at a Mexican store? I have a plastic container of it down the basement that I've used. I really like the scent of Foca. I have added STPP when I use it.

When I work on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays I don't do any housework for the most part. Today I just put in 11.75 hours. I will put in about 9 or 10 tomorrow. Then it's my 4 day weekend! Hooray!!!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Sadly no Foca has phosphates anymore, not for a few years now..unless you find a bag on the back shelf somewhere. On the top corner of the Foca bag it says no phosphates...if you find a bag that doesn't say this than it will have them but chances of that are slim. Back about 3 years ago Foca with phosphates was showing up on Walmarts shelves LOL needless to say the enviromentalists hit the roof and it was forever gone. Actually even in Mexico I'm told its not in the Foca.

Ariels bittersweet scent takes some getting used to but boy does it leave the clothes smelling fresh. After you use it let us know what you think. Hope you get some well deserved rest soon.

enduring thanked mamapinky0