Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fixuprhouse

Can I make this small area rug work? Help finish the room!

fixuprhouse
8 years ago

Working on our "big room", our only family room (we had the windows replaced, new carpet, stairs, defined entry way, painted and bought couch, grey chair and dark brown recliner 2 years ago) I ordered this area rug b/c I LOVE it, and wanted to define the sitting area and add color. It is a handmade Zapotec wool rug, and only 2.5'x 5', about all I loved that I could afford.

I've included photos of the room from a couple of angles, and art work that still needs to go on the walls. The first photo was a cheap rug I tried out & returned.. it was 5 x 8

'

To be added:

* Artwork: mexican lithograph 21" x 31' , Picasso poster 18" x 22", long watercolor 27" x 16, square water color 20" x 16 (my Dad's work) pastel ladies (not crazy about this one) 20 x 28, MacIntosch poster 29" x 23 (It would really make my husband happy to show off his beloved Beetles) Beetles (2 identical photos diff sizes 2' x 3' and 20" x 28". I'm just listing possibilities, although I love the MacIntosh, Mexican lithograph, and my Dad's watercolors.

* plus pottery platters (I'm an amateur potter) to hang on the wall to bring in color about 2 or 3 13-15" in diameter. (The photo is to see the glaze, platter/low bowl would be maybe 3" high).

* textured (gold/brown grass weave) roller shades for the windows.

* track lighting to up light from each of the 3 beams,

* maybe buy an arched standing lamp for reading/task work

* May not get a coffee table yet, b/c I still have teenage boys who need a space to walk on their hands and toss an inflated ball...

* I'm planning on painting the garage door the same color as the walls: C2 paint: "Vicuna"

We have a number of challenges: TV on a sawhorse (my husband's idea b/c cable box comes in from attic area over that wall). I wanted the TV to go on the wall opposite the couch, but unless we get a genius electrician, or end our cable connection DH says no can do). The TV is also blocking custom built wall unit. 2nd old recliner... need alternative seating before dumping it. Working under fairly low budget. This is the only TV in the house so line of sight is important when placing the seating.

I welcome all suggestions, especially how to include the rug, placement of the furniture, lighting suggestions, and art work placement. Thank you SO much in advance for considering helping me.

This is my first Houzz post, so I'm not sure how the photos will post!

Comments (36)

• havingfun
    8 years ago

is there a tv involved in this? is all seating needed right there? can we have a pic of like all sides? love the pottery. In the term first run, are you talking the beige or the striped?

• fixuprhouse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Having fun.. Will add more photos below. Yes we do need all the seating, but maybe the old lighter brown decliner has been tapped to be retired. I've already returned the striped rug, the beige carpet is new and stays. (We bought wall to wall because this room is very cold in the winter and is above a crawl space). The new area rug is in the photo above my pottery.

• fixuprhouse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• fixuprhouse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

HavingFun... I need to wait for daytime to take photos of the rest of the room. Will post more tomorrow :-)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

The room is screaming for window treatments, and the pink velvet recliner doesn't work with your other selections. The blue and brown are a good start. Are you open to painting the walls a more neutral color so that they are a better backdrop for your various art pieces?

• carolyn12ingleson
    8 years ago
    Beverly Thanks for your comment. Yeah I agree that chair needs to go. But we do need a seating replacement. Not open to changing the paint now: we just painted last year. The yellow tones of the dull gold are emphasizes because I brightened the photo with a photo editor. The beams cast shadows so the color looks much grayer in the daylight.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

Let me rephrase my questions are all the seating needed on a nightly basis or just when friends/family visit? And i do not see a tv, is there none?

fixuprhouse thanked havingfun
  • carolyn12ingleson
    8 years ago
    HavingFun...Yes the is a TV ( the only one in the house) at the end of this long room...See attached photo. It has to stay there because the cable wires come in through the attic there. Mostly we have need for 3 seated TV watchers, at most 4 TV watchers. The dark brown recliner swivels.
    fixuprhouse thanked carolyn12ingleson
  • apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

The best option is to find the genius electrician to move the cable tv connection. You can always use surface wiring along the wall if the wiring can't go in the crawlspace. Move the wiring and postpone replacing the pinkish recliner if budget is an issue now.

fixuprhouse thanked apple_pie_order
  • Geneviève
    8 years ago

Looking at the last photo , I would turn the sofa facing the TV and only have 2 chairs if possible . The rug is a bit too small and yes to some window treatment . The pieces of art that you have collected are just wonderful.

fixuprhouse thanked Geneviève
  • Geneviève
    8 years ago

Huestis Tucker Architects, LLC · More Info

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

Beige And Grey Casual Cotton Curtain · More Info

• havingfun
    8 years ago

can we have some sorta measurements? and how are you feeling about moving the tv? It is hard to move furnishings to that side due to the openings much easier to move tv over?

fixuprhouse thanked havingfun
  • suezbell
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You don't really need an area rug to define that sized sitting area and a small rug really isn't big enough for that purpose the way you have your furnishings arranged in your first pic. A small rug could work to define the area if you could use the rug under a glass coffee table so it is visible and with no other pieces of furniture touching it. Because you really like your small rug, it would also likely work great as a wall hanging on a large wall.

If the entire living room has a wood floor, the condition of which is as good as the small bit showing at the doorway, seriously consider getting rid of the carpeting, especially if you want an area rug to define the seating area.

In your first pic, the art above and behind the sofa between the two windows seems a bit too small for that wall area and a bit high -- unless, of course, everyone in your household is really tall. With some exceptions, the general rule is that the center of any art needs to be closer to eye level.

You have an interesting variety of art but you may well discover that not all of it will work well hung in the same room. Don't force that -- just repurpose some of the art elsewhere and take your time finding what does appeal to you in the same room.

If you want the option to move your tv to another part of the room, then check with electronics stores and see if they have a unit that will pick up the cable feed at the source and wirelessly transmit it to other units within the house.

Alternately, see if the electronics store has a cable that would act as an extension cord for your tv connection not unlike the long cords you could get for a tv antenna. If so, then the challenge would be to hide it. Don't discount the possibility of extending the cord to the ceiling and running it along the ceiling to the location you want even if it means adding a trim board all around the room to hide the cable.

A tv, not unlike art, needs to be enjoyed without straining ones neck to see as much as not straining to look around furniture to see it. If that or absence of enough wall above the built ins rules out hanging the tv above the built ins, another solution is needed.

If the tv is where you want it to be but need to deal with the built ins in which it doesn't fit, then the easiest solution might well be to remove the built ins, perhaps repurposing the materials elsewhere to create storage shelves.

A much better option, in my opinion, would be to alter the built ins so the tv fits in an indentation within your built ins. I'd likely rip out all the shelves above the drawers between the two most obvious vertical supports -- one at the right edge of the tv and the other farther from the left of the tv (and to the right of the black rectangle) -- then refinish just that section of the built in unit. You may need to refinish the wall with a solid piece of sanded smooth finished plywood; if so, the big box building supply stores will cut one to fit. Then you could use shelving boards to create a new box inside and around the opening / indentation where the tv will be located. Check about finishing the shelving boards before you install them. If you cannot match the exact finish of the built ins, you could always opt for contrast and go much lighter or darker, even painting the boards and the wall -- the entire opening / indentation -- where the tv will hang -- black.

... Another option might be to add doors to the built in shelves, using solid doors, and use the built in shelves for unseen storage. This could work if you could find an arm with which to hang the tv from above the built ins that would position the tv in front of the built ins while it is being viewed yet enable the tv be moved to access the storage. If you choose this option, I'd suggest using the most plain doors possible so they're not the focus of attention of the room.

... Alternately, you could add doors to the shelves behind the tv and put the tv on a stand with wheels so it could be rolled out of the way to access the storage on the shelves behind the tv.

Just a thought: consider trying your sofa against the wall facing the windows and then also try it centered between the two windows adding either a floor lamp w/table combo or a a side table w/lamp on each side in front of each window.

http://www.deviajeporahi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/traditional-floor-lamp-with-attached-table-uk.jpg

fixuprhouse thanked suezbell
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

carolyn are you still there? have you looked into extension for tv? i just saw a couple days ago, i think they call it a racetrack, you run cord through it then paint to match the wall.

• fixuprhouse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow everyone... I am blown away at your ideas and helpfulness!

T I haven't been able to get back because work/life took over today :-).. (all good).

• fixuprhouse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Suezbell:

To answer your questions:

I love ur idea of trying a glass coffee table so that the rug is visible. Since I've already ordered the rug (coming from Mexico), I'll try out a glass topped coffee table. I have a friend I can borrow one from.

You gave me 3 great suggestions about the built-in if the TV has to stay there. My husband also had the idea about the arm extending from the built in, but he hadn't thought about doors.

No wood floors under the wall to wall. The wood-like look is Amstrong plastic wood. We tramp snow, mud, dirt in this area & I didn't want to go nuts with real wood getting ruined. (We do have real wood stairs going outside to the mud roo). We debated carpeting vs. wood floors in this room, and decided on carpeting (installed 2 years ago) b/c it is so cold. It has minimal insulation in the crawl space directly under this. Also wood flooring would have blown our whole budget. So we aren't going to change the carpet or the color of the walls.

The small water color is temporary. My Dad brought it a couple of weeks ago, and I hung it up on the first available hook. I do see it is too high... and we are all short!

After Xmas when the tree is down I'll try the arrangements you suggested. I'm so sorry, I'm a bit visually challenged (not vision, but ability to visualize in my head). For reference the wall that has the TV is the East wall. The couch is currently on the South wall. Are you suggesting I slide it over between the 2 windows on the South wall? Or try it on the West Wall, the end of the long room?

Again, I'm so appreciative of your time, experience and great ideas!

• fixuprhouse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

HavingFun:

I'd love to move the TV. Were you thinking to move it to the North wall, (across from the couch now?). Seems that would improve the layout of the furniture greatly.

I hadn't heard of the extensions for TVs or racetrack. I looked it up quickly and it looks quite possible. Maybe we CAN move the TV! I'm not much of a techie, so will need to get more advice on this! But it is a TERRIFIC idea (as in Charlotte's Web). Thanks!

• fixuprhouse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Genevieve and BeverlyFLADiziner:

For some reason I feel very uncomfortable about curtains in this room. I considered them because they are so practical. Especially easy care curtains.They somehow have the wrong feeling for me.Hard to articulate... Maybe too traditional, cosy, cluttered? I do like the ones Genevieve picked out... subtly blending. I guess I don't want so much cloth on the 6 windows to pull the eye away from the artwork on the wall? Not sure.

What do you think about the roller shade idea? We looked at many samples from Blindster and this one was the best combination of allowing some privacy, some light, texture, and blending with the paint and trim stain. These are the"woven wood" roller shades:

• fixuprhouse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• fixuprhouse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

apple_pie_order:

I'm hopeful that with HavingFun and Suezbell's suggestions, we may be able to move the TV! If the sofa works for viewing because it is facing the TV, then we won't need that old yucky,now pink, formerly brown recliner! Now only one person (the"King of the TV") can comfortably recline and face the TV. The other couch sitter at the end closer to the TV gets a stiff neck, so migrates to the floor!

• fixuprhouse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

HavingFun asked for measurements:

width:just over 13'

north wall corner to the start of the half wall about 13.5'

south wall: 23'

Need any other measurements?

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Oh, wonderful I think that would be perfect for you. I think you should start with that. movement of the tv then you can work on other things. check on your feelings about glass tables, i assume all your tv watchers are adults. Here are my thoughts currently.

sitting area for tv 13' - north to south x 13.5' - east to west on south wall. Tv on South wall-18", couch -42" deep (?) +6" from window. 2' from table to couch, and 2.5' from table to tv. total = 10 ft total going E-W. not bad you have 3' to play with am i right? Please measure the couch and swivel chair so we know we are right.

Now, to go north to south. swivel recliner is 3.5' (it will facing tv when spread out so doesn't matter in this calculation) only width, though i think that closed they are pretty much square? You will put a little table behind it or beside it, so that does not effect measurement. Couch i think is about 7'. table needs to be shorter so does not effect measurement. We have 10.5', leaving 3 for another chair, but since that is not going to affect entry, it really is not a problem. You then need another chair that plays well with the couch and the recliner. you might want another rug to help them agree.

so in furnishings, we have 2 chairs there, one a recliner, in upright position chairs face each other. couch stays where it is, tv moves opposite - if you are running wire from attic, even better, and i am pretty sure cable company will do at least part for free.

I would want a separate seating area somewhere else, like where you have it now, with the books, etc. Move the gray chair that matches the couch over there. take another chair that likes the gray one and put it there. it does not have to be identical, but they need to be compatible, have ever seen 2 chairs fight? not pretty. I would pull my colors from the little rug that is going to go there, you know the one coming from mexico? Then your shelves can also be used to show some of your lovely pottery along with books and other things. Everyone will help make that and your family pictures look great, but i think you need to look at furniture first.

I actually think that since it is a family relaxing room with limited space, i would go with ottomans and a small table. I think the one on the east side of the couch is ok. the one of the west looks kinda big, but hard to see. I do not have a budget or style yet. so these are just it fits in size or is kinda it. ok? tell me i will pull them down.

Vanderbilt Foldable 3-piece Storage Ottoman Set - Overstock Shopping - Great Dea · More Info
    come in various colors, store things. about $130, maybe we can beat that, you put trays on and they are then tables.

Coffee, Sofa & End Tables - Overstock Shopping - The Best Prices Online · More Info
    one option of a pretty reasonable, pretty small table for the west corner. oh try the other table over with the 2 chairs, see if it is too big there.

You can get back to everything else later. night!

• shiningautumn888
    8 years ago
    Have you considered getting rid of cable and using wireless internet tv such as apple tv, air stream, hulu etc. Freeung yourself from the binds of cables lets you put your tv anywhere you want. And a flat antenna ads ability to get all the local channels crystal clear. Plus its cheaper than digital cable. So think about that bc it completely removes that constraint.

The rug is too small, way too small, to be used for a seating area. You could hamg it like prior poster said or use in a hallway or kitchen. I agree an area rug is not really needed altho a large seagrass rug layered over the carpet would look nice.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

I was going to try to convince you to try curtains, but I think you may be right. I like the woven wood roller shades. I think the rug is too small for the floor. You might try it over the back of the couch, or hang it as art.

• carolyn12ingleson
    8 years ago
    groveraxle...you must be a night owl or on the West Coast! These modified photos are so helpful! I can much better visualize: how the roller shades will look, how to arrange the artwork on that wall, alternatives for the rug, and even consider adding curtains down the road (as budget allows). many thanks... by the way what software do you use to try out these ideas?
  • Amoeba-meba
    8 years ago

Love your new little rug from Mexico! Wish it was a little bigger...

• havingfun
    8 years ago

I do think the rug would work on a small second grouping of 2 chairs.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Hi, Carolyn. I'm close to the west coast: Arizona. I use Photoshop Elements to alter rooms. I like the uncluttered look of the woven wood roller shades. It looks like you have a lot of art, and by the time you've hung it all, you may not have space for curtains.

fixuprhouse thanked groveraxle
  • fixuprhouse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

havingfun, I tried to lay this out as you described. I don't quite get the picture.

I think I didn't describe the measurement of the room adequately. The distance from the north west corner to the end of the half wall is 13.5 along the north wall. So there is about 10 feet after the half wall ends to the north east corner of the room. Did I place the couch and chairs where you expected? Also not clear on how to make this second seating area. What furniture goes there besides the hutch/shelves, rug, and grey chair. (Shouldn't the grey chair stay with the grey couch?). I started this layout in excel, but can't attach it, so I'm taking a photo of it. Furniture measurements below and in excel are somewhat to scale.

I don't seem to be able to embed the excel or pdf file here, or attach it. So I'll take a photo of it.

In inches:
    In feet:
    Flexsteel
    couch 79" x 37" diameter x 37" height
    x
    x
    Flexsteel
    grey chair (recliner) 36" wide x 38 deep x 40" height
    x
    x
    leather
    recliner: 32 wide x 40 depth x
    41" height
    x
    x
    round table:
    28" diameter x 26" height
    x
    small
    rectangle table 22" x 17"
    x
    large
    rectangle table in corner 41" x 30"
    x

Thanks again for your help!

I'll be out of commission for a couple of days....

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I like the room and I like all the advice given so far. The TV should go on the longest wall across from the Sofa. Here are some ideas I think could work in the room.

1. Move TV across from sofa.

2. Put Mexico rug in front of book case area and find a pair of matching chairs; could be wicker, bamboo, etc with arms for reading by the book shelves. Find black floor lamps to put by each chair on outside. Find small leather ottoman to put on rug for feet up for relaxing

Pair of any chairs with floor lamp by book shelves with fun rug. Dog optional!
    Need not be leather

Contemporary Family Room · More Info

3. Sell all recliners and again, find another pair of recliners that are more streamlined and will blend better with your sofa. It looks light next to the massive chairs you have; big doesn't need to be the most important factor to be comfortable; try lazy boy recliners they come in all sizes and shapes and fabric and leathers that are fun. The energy level needs to match the Mexico Rug!

Clean lines non bulky recliners. Need not be leather.

Rustic Contemporary Retreat · More Info

Fabric solid but could be pattern to reinforce your rug patterns....

Lucas Light Beige Fabric Recliner Club Chair · More Info

When you are looking at recliners, have hubs take off his jacket, slip off his shoes and bring a book with him and sit in a variety of styles on the sales floor. But you need a PAIR; make them your birthday, anni, and xmas gifts for the next year. You will enjoy them for many many years.

Love all your art work, by the way. Hang at 65 inch height for center of picture.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

i will look in morning too much for my head tonight. have fun!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

I don't know after #2, but up to that point, except all new chairs maybe not, but besides that, that was what i was trying to describe!

• fixuprhouse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

soosun2. Thanks for the photos and your suggestions. It gives me a better idea of the concept. Selling the new (dark brown) recliner is not in the cards, we need to make that work. I can see giving up the old pinky/brown one though.

I'm still confused about the layout you and havingfun propose. Do I have this right? What am I missing?

1. The couch runs on the north wall directly across from the TV which is on the south wall, then it would be pretty much be centered between the 2 windows on the north wall, and will occupy the central third of the room.

2.The two chairs (one recliner, one other?) face each other at rights angle to the couch. Do the front of the chairs then line up with the arms of the couch. Should there be a coffee table in front of the couch? (smallish table but rectangular or oval, fairly narrow and long ?). We need a surface for people to put drinks/food on. Would the table make this too crowded?

3. The other area of confusion is the "bookshelves". Are you referring to the hutch with shelves tucked into the northwest corner, or the built in on the east wall where the TV currently is?

4.How much space will the 2nd small sitting area (with 2 chairs, lamps, ottoman and the Mexican rug) require? I can't picture where you'd put these. The couch and two chairs in the central third of the room, leaves two spaces that are shaped like right angle triangles.
    "Northeast triangle":is right angle like this L\ with the base along the north wall out about 7 feet until it hits the side of the couch, and running 7-8 southward along the east wall. So this would be next to the built in shelves.

" The northwest triangle" is the inverse /_! with the base beginning on the other side of the couch along the north wall and running 7-8 feet toward the north west corner, then extending along the west wall almost across the room. So thinking this through, this is probably the more logical location, since there is more space. The east side has the entry way absorbing part of the east wall, but the west wall gets the full 13' of width.

Which spot did you visualize the 2nd small seating area?

5. Another question. You say the pictures should be hung "at 65 inch height for center of picture". Does this mean find the center of the picture on a verticle axis, and put that center at 65" from the floor? I'm about 5'2", so the center of the picture should be a couple of inches over my head?

Thanks so much for you time and explanations!

• havingfun
    8 years ago
    1. I really was not moving your sofa unless it needed nudging to make it work. See Grover Wed/9:30. the only thing from the section i am moving is the gray chair, because it makes the brown one look odd man out. So one new chair to replace the gray.

2. I would not care about having them exactly on the edges of the couch, i would leave a little room to allow for side tables. The side table by the shelves and i believe the nw corner of the couch is too large. So, i would probably get a simple standing lamp and like this

Amazon.com: end tables: Home & Kitchen · More Info
    $25

Round End Tables on Hayneedle - Pedestal End Table · More Info
    $39, nice if there is space

then if room allows one next to the recliner so it has one on either side. now there should be plenty of room for drinks.

In front of the couch, I would put a couple smaller ottomans, or i can tell you how to make them if you like, then you could have some wonderful fabric on it.

These are just pics mind you, they have these everywhere and can even be gotten used.

Urban Seating Folding Storage Cube in Chocolate Leatherette · More Info
    for additional drink/food space, just do this-
    Contemporary Living Room · More Info
    I dont recommend one this large, but see the tray on it, works well.

3. I believe we are all talking about the east wall where the tv is currently, i would move the gray chair there and get one more with either foot stools or a small glass table with your cute rug underneath.

1. If the chairs are not huge, they take up about 3 feet and you angle them in. This can be a lovely little tea/sunday paper spot. But it also stores a couple more seats that company can pull up. If you want to save on seating and the pink wonder is comfy, you can always slip cover it.

2. you need to hang the pics where you feel comfortable, the world is not one size fits all, i think they are just trying to say you do not want them down to your knees, the center should be about eye level.

See ya manana!