Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrie_ohhh

master closet, need advice, slanted ceilings.

Sherrie ohh
8 years ago
we are buying this home. it has an awesome large master, which has no closets except the small linen closet pictured. we would like to build a closet along the length of the entire room from the window all the way to the right wall. the ceiling as shown is slanted, how do we incorporate this? the shortest height of the wall is 10 feet. we are not looking for a walk in because the footprint would be too much of the floor space. closet ideas anyone? PS we don't want to lose the window, so the closet should begin to the right of it.

Comments (16)

• havingfun
    8 years ago

First thing i would do is run a curtain rod across with a wall or shelf system on the window side, then do your set up, Hang curtains across like closet doors, see how it works, if not you can try again. I would start a foot or two to the right of the window and put a little stool or bench there.

Long range, once you have decided what works you can decide if you want to add the walls or leave with curtains, i would possibly remove the linen closet to make that corner a shade bigger. reading or make up spot?

• kmcg123
    8 years ago

i have a similar set up. I have two closets on each side with a big window in between. On the full height side of the closet (opposite the slanting ) I have a rod the length of the closet with a shelf on top. On the top shelf I keep purses and some out of season clothes. In one closet, I have a double rod for half the length. On the short wall side, I have built in shelves for shoes and other small things. I didn't have to build the closets -they were there when I moved in, but I thought the layout was awkward and I had a closet company come out and design a better layout for me. Technically, they are walk in closets, because you can walk in , but it is fairly narrow. Ok for me because I'm not too tall, but a little tight for my 6' 1" husband! The bedroom is big enough that I have dressers for clothes I can fold.

• Sherrie ohh
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    can I see a photo?
  • Sherrie ohh
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    PS to clarify, the closet would be in the space where the stuff if there now. all of the chairs dresses you see are moving out with the owners.
  • PRO
    Jan Neiges, CMKBD with NKBA
    8 years ago

Build the wall to the ceiling, so you will be keeping the cathedral ceiling look, but just bumping the wall further out form the window wall. EX: if the window wall is 8' and the highest point of the cathedral ceiling from the floor is 10' and you build the wall out 21", then the height of that wall will be between the 8' and the 10'. I hope that helps.

• PRO
    Deborah Broockerd/DkB Design Services
    8 years ago

A custom closet company can do built-ins for you that will follow the angle of the ceiling to maximize the space. You need a minimum of 22.5" pf depth (24" is standard). Then you can configure the interior of each section to give you the needed hanging, shelves, shoe storage or drawers that you need.

• monjav2
    8 years ago

Have you considered Ikea Pax wardrobe systems? We've had ours for years, and still love them. They look great on their own, and also can be added onto for a totally custom look at a fraction of the price. Ikea's 3D design program is free and amazing!

The window nook area would make an amazing dressing table/vanity space! I would paint the linen closet doors the same color/sheen as the wardrobe doors so that they blend with eachother.

• Tracy Taylor
    8 years ago

I dont know the dimensions, and obviously the finishes etc, could be modified as this is a generic mock up, but if this was my space I would do something similar, except no hearth on the fireplace and I would use wood casing to make it seamless.

• Kelley Dockrey
    8 years ago
    you have a lot of good ideas, but you will want to replace the base board heater since the closet will block it. of course, you could try to have the closet constructed with vented door to allow the heat to pass to the rest of the room.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

Ikea Pax for sure or custom for twice the price.

• Missy Bee
    8 years ago
    This idea may go completely against everyone's idea of good design, but I'll offer it anyway. You said the bedroom was large...so since I like having a dressing room, I would consider an arrangement that encloses the end wall including the window. The window would provide natural light to the dressing room. Of course there needs to remain plenty of natural light In the bedroom from remaining Windows.
  • sunnydrew
    8 years ago
    You could probably build a great reach in along that wall, with or with out incorporating the window. I would definitely call in a closet expert. You may pay more, but in the long run, only they will know the best way to maximize the space, not a contractor building the walls. The clipped ceiling is a challenge, but it is doable. Make sure your racks are adjustable to change with your needs.
  • keenplanner
    8 years ago

Is it a Victorian or Edwardian home? If so, try and keep within the historical context. Older homes usually had armoires rather than walk-in closets. You could also get a free-standing closet placed to the R of the window. This (as well as a built-in closet) could be waist or chest height too, to avoid being too intrusive. This would also give you added counter top space. If you're on a tight budget, I think Ikea has closets.

• chiflipper
    8 years ago

I agree with the first poster, set up something temporary, give the whole process more thought. The existing window looks very small, perhaps you could add skylight windows along the top edge of the sloped ceiling which would allow for the loss of the window and linen closet. Mistakes (sometimes costly) are made when we rush the process.

• Sherrie ohh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thank you thank you everyone for these great ideas! In the end, Im going to leave the left hand closet as it is, because we want to incorporate it into the master bath which is just beyond it. we will however turn the whole wall from the window and on into a reach in closet, we decided to cont the closet to wrap around the right corner as well for even more storage. i think we will buy ikea units and ask the contractor to add molding/ etc to make it look built in.