0

Paint dilemna

Yvonne S
I am painting his craftsman style house white, white picket fence. I had planned on painting just the window trim dark blue/black and the small window frame red. The painter is painting uprights and horizontals. What do you think

Hopefully when all the details are in place, this house would look more like a craftsman style. I would use the same color for all windows.
    Ironwood Builders
    I agree with Dy. The exterior detailing is not complete, so it is difficult to see "Craftsman" influences. White was not a typical color for that era on the exterior (or the interior for that matter). Browse Houzz and take a look at exteriors of the Arts and Crafts houses or Craftsman house available in the search mode. [houzz=
    Surfers End · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Wendell Arts & Crafts · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Craftsman exterior · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Craftsman Transformation - before and after · More Info
    ]
  • rinqreation
    Craftsman or not, it does not do it for me. Maybe a blackish-blue house with white trims would. Or at least a white house with the horizontals and verticals in a light color. And I would not pick red, rather pale blue or a buttery-yellow.
  • Yvonne S
    I have had a dark house and in the full southern sun the paint fades. The Houston Heights are full of every color under the rainbow so I thought a white house would be a nice change but I am now losing all the color except the window trims. I like the idea of pale blue window frames
    Susan Berry Design, Inc.

Some painters are "stuck" on painting trim, like little kids outlining their coloring pages! KILL the contrasting trim on the horizontal and vertical banding. Keep it all very simple and white. Timeless. Consider a very cool soft grey for the window trim, paint the porch trim and railings the white, accent to porch posts with the light grey, and pop any bold color on the doors. You could also go with a pale blue grey (bottle glass, sea blue) on the window trims and doors with all white. You can add pops of bolder colors in plants, plant pots and porch furniture. You could also add the soft blue green window trim to the shakes on the gables. If you need more help with color, I can help you pick exact paints.