0

refrigerator next to stove

jolu5

do you need a space in between stove and refrigerator. can you put a fridge panel around it. is it possible to just put panel only on one side??

• herbflavor

can you at least get 9-12 inches between stove and fridge.....if you are remodeling maybe post some sketches to let others help you get an optimal layout ..... [doesn't have to be perfect], for all the work and expense. If you have a gas line,you can skooch a bit. I think a panel would be worse than the side of the fridge-it's wood-flammable.

• emilyam819

You need to check the installation manual of the stove. It'll say how far from a side wall or other obstacle it needs to be. It is certainly recommended for there to be counter space on each side of the stove, not only for fire concerns, but also for pot handles and landing space.

• Nothing Left to Say

I have cooked with a refrigerator right next to a range with no counterspace in between or on either side. It was miserable. It was the single biggest motivation for remodeling our kitchen. (It was the existing arrangement when we bought this house.).. I would be very reluctant to put the money into a remodel where the end result would have the range and refrigerator right next to each other--even if allowed by the appliance manuals.

• cmw829

I wouldn't do it if I could avoid it. Ideally, a stove should have a counter surface on each side, even if one side if relatively small. 18 inches would be preferable to 12.

• silken1

I would think the extra heat when the oven is running or several burners on the stove, would possibly make the fridge work harder too. It would warm up that side of the fridge a bit.

• Debbie B.

Hi jolu5! Thanks for asking such a great question! I know for sure that when kitchen space is at a premium we all are tempted to find "alternative" design ideas to maximise a few precious inches of space. This idea is creative, out of the box thinking, but it's one that should probably get crossed off the brainstorming list. It's unsafe, impractical, and not energy efficient. If you're thinking of ever selling your house, I doubt the home inspector would let it go that way, and honestly, it would turn potential buyers off--kitchens sell houses!!

It would be awesome if you could post a pic or two of your kitchen and maybe a floor plan too. There are some really creative people on this forum who have been through the whole kitchen remodel process and who could give you some great suggestions!

• sjhockeyfan325

It probably violates code having a wood panel abutting the cooktop.

• jolu5

I think I need to change the corner next to the stove to a blind corner. I have 96" not 99" on that side. This will bring the stove over 6". so I will have 9" in between stove and fdridge. I don't know where else I can put stove or fridge?

• cpartist

Jolu, can you post the kitchen in relation to the rest of the floor?

A full floor plan?

Is this in an apartment?

What are your restrictions?

Does it have to be a gas range? Would you consider an induction range which in such a small space would probably be safer even?

Is there a reason you wouldn't want to switch the fridge to the opposite wall?

What are the pink lines showing?

• jolu5

It's a house. The range is electric, not indicated on the floor plan. what's an induction range?

the dishwasher side is a peninsula. there's no more room because there's a door at the end of the overhang, actually it bangs into it, I was thinking of putting a stopper or some sort of protection on overhang.

At the end of the refrigerator is a door,

This is all the space.

The pink is the end of the cabinet.

The only thing I can think of is getting a smaller oven. I think they're probably more expensive.

I will ask question about wall cabinets after I solve this one.

• cpartist

Jolu, please post your full house plan. You'd be surprised at what everyone here can come up with in terms of figuring out a layout that gives you the space, etc you need. For example, what is on the other side of the peninsula? Do you even need a peninsula? How big is the room that the peninsula juts into? Don't assume that a better layout can't be done. It can and has been more times than not on this forum. These guys here are better than kitchen designers.

Also, I would suggest especially since you have electric, you research in the appliance forum induction cooking. I am switching to induction over gas.

• writersblock

I would also suggest starting a new thread for layout help, since I suspect a lot of the folks here who could be very helpful will see the title of this thread and just assume that by now someone told you the answer to your original question.

• jolu5

This is not scaled correctly and possibly not 100%.

There's a high ceiling in living area, where the kitchen is is a flat ceiling and it leads itself to kitchen.

• jolu5

I think I have to put stove on peninsula, don't want to though, I;ll start new thread

• emilyam819

I would get a stove that can go in the peninsula and switch the dishwasher to the other side.

• jolu5

I guess I have no choice, I love the counter on the peninsula though.

• funkycamper

I suggest people quit posting in this thread and move to the new discussion where we are collecting a bit more information and, hopefully, will be able to keep the peninsula from being used for the range.

• herbflavor

the tight U shape is just too tight, Make it a galley....frig and stove on wall......sink on peninsula. No constricting corners.....you will have 2 nice runs and the stove can move down . Much more usable.

StarCraft Custom Builders

From Kitchen Design Rules:

Rule 17 - Cook Surface Landing Area

Guideline: Include a minimum of 12” of landing area on one side of a cooking surface and 15” on the other side.