Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_382315

Decorating living room.

I would appreciate any suggestions with my living room. I just purchased the sofas. I would like to add accessories, lamps tables, rugs, tv unit I can't even pick out pillows. Just purchased the pillows and don't know if the are too big. I am also looking for window treatment. Was thinking of solar shades. Don't want anything heavy. Any help would be appreciated

Comments (389)

• happyleg
    8 years ago

Nice sink! Aqua for walls.

• happyleg
    8 years ago

Unsure if tile is same (pink) if is then do light gray. I peeked again.

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The floor is white
  • Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    April, I tried to find you on houzz. Can you send me your link
  • PRO
    A Stevens Design
    8 years ago

Hi Anna,

I was just wondering how your Florida place is coming along, especially with warm weather coming, so great to see your post in notifications.

http://www.houzz.com/pro/aprilnyc/__public

I don't have my final webpage up yet but this is my houzz link.

I will be posting pictures to a small walkup apartment project shortly (staging and a new bath and kitchen) within a month. and hopefully have a new logo and my webpage up as well!

My current ongoing project: a fabulous one bedroom apartment renovation. The bathroom is in progress - a fabulous tile job in a textured white thassos marble, a stone shower seat was just ordered and the bath is going in fast. Floor and accent wall tiles are 2 by 4 feet from Artistic Tile! Amazing floor to ceiling doors from Italy, six of them, were just installed last week. I can't wait until the place is painted and posted and finished - and I'm sure my client feels the same! Too exciting!!! (And I'm sure she'll be glad to move back in.) Soffit lighting at windows and a great view from the twelfth floor of the East River. The place is coming along and the LESC crew working fast.

Now that I see you on the thread I'll be sure to check back and see your progress.

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    April, I can't wait to see the pictures of the renovation. Sounds fabulous. Nothing new in the apartment. Going back tomorrow for two weeks. Have to have major work done in Chicago. My brick wall in my yard was hit by a car and about 30 feet of it caved in. The wall is 80' long. The whole wall has to be replaced. Been getting prices and finally hired someone to do it when we get back. That is going to be a mess. Have to move a lot of my shrubs. Inside needs a lot of work also. Condo do is a pleasure to decorate because it is small. Will post if I do anything.
  • PRO
    A Stevens Design
    8 years ago

Hi Anna,

Wow! Ran into your wall - this happened to a friend of mine with a corner rental property - they ran right off the road into a carport and the corner of the house. Crazy. Hope insurance is covering this for you. It is a good season for landscaping though. Try to get all your shrubbery back in before the heat of the season or you will have to wait until fall or water like crazy.

What a lot of unexpected work and chaos to deal with...

I bet it will be a huge relief to be in Florida for a couple of weeks.

I know what you mean about a smaller project being more manageable...this is why my house upstate is a mess - I'm not there much and it has become a catch all for storage of junk. Managing while travelling back and forth between two residences is definitely not easy.

I'll post some all new pictures of my completed smaller bath and kitchen project next week.

I'll keep an eye on this thread now that I know you are heading back to Fla.

Did you ever get that rug from Overstock.com?

Did you select a bath paint color yet? Is the tile still available? You could continue the tile all the way up to the ceiling.

Rug, dining chairs, bath walls...looking forward to your progress...

April

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes it is a very light gray. I thought it would go well with the sink. Looking at the floor in that bathroom. I wish they could pot new tile over it. I read online you could if you sand the gloss off. Yes thank god for the insurance. If it didn't I think I would sell this money pit. It is just too much work and upkeep. It is hard to give up because of the location. I was born in this house and my parents gave it to us. We then
    Added a huge addition when we had our second child. I did do a post for my dining room on houzz which still isn't finished because I started on the condo. I already repainted it after I had it done. I will. Have to send you some pictures
  • Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    April I did not get the rug because I was leaving. May I will order it now because I will be there when it comes.
  • Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Susan I want to put this rug in the living room like you did How do you do it
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

I don't have a photo of your room with new sofas. The only one here has sofa back to seating area and I can't place rug in it. Sorry. If you have one of the sofas and the floor open in front of them post it.

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Susan I will post the room the other way if that helps. I just don"t know how you do it
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

This best I can do, but I think it looks good.

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you Susan not sure if there is enough color
  • PRO
    A Stevens Design
    8 years ago

Hi Anna,

Yes old houses are a lot of work and I have found very hard to keep warm enough in cold climates.

Bathroom tiling over old tile floor - Yes - I have done this, but be warned, old tile is not always that level so it's easier to go with a mosaic on top of old tile unless you do a leveling patch coat first or the previous tile is really level/well laid and still a sturdy bond to substrate.

Tiling over old tile will raise up the floor height too - so they should take out the toilet and put it back in with longer bolts and new wax ring for a finished look and put in a new marble threshold (if that is what you have) at doors.

They/you can skim floor tile with a patch coat. Just clean the tile well with Krud Kutter or some sort of anti-grease agent to get a good bond. You could probably etch tile with something like muratic acid but I don't think it's necessary and wouldn't bother - just get anything greasy off the top layer so that the setting material adheres well. Use a thinset or cement based mortar and not a mastic - will adhere much better to old tile.

Don't sand the old tile - this would be like sanding glass and not a good idea - never heard of this and would not recommend.

They could probably take up the old floor tile without damaging wall tiles in the bath - just make sure you have a few extra wall tiles on hand just in case.

A lot of contractors will fuss about something like tiling over old tile - they can't guarantee the work - so more of a do it yourself or handyman type job.

Lt Grey paint makes sense with the marble vein in the sink.

Would love to see pictures of your Chicago house. I think I saw one when I clicked on your link.

The rug looks good - cool and neutral - but now it is just a matter of personal tastes/preferences. If you are not sure, do a little more looking. It will be a soothing sort of room if you go with that rug, more understated. I don't think it is too light to look good in the room. I always worry about how well a light rug will hold up. If you are a shoes off at the door family you should be fine.

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    A Stevens, thank you for the info on the tile. Will show my contractor what you wrote. I will be at the condo tomorrow. I will send you pictures of my Chicago. Can I send them through Houzz.
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

Did you think this rug was too bright?

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Susan, too busy
  • PRO
    A Stevens Design
    8 years ago

I agree - I like the colors but not the pattern.

• PRO
    A Stevens Design
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

I would not have found this without an earlier Susan link.

Could you post this one Susan?

http://www.wayfair.com/Safavieh-Paradise-Stone-Aqua-Contemporary-Area-Rug-PAR348-3470-FV52749.html

another colorway:

http://www.wayfair.com/Safavieh-Soho-Light-Blue-Area-Rug-SOH305A-FV1924.html

and this one

http://www.wayfair.com/Tamira-Floral-Rug-TAM-1000-YA10834.html

and one more for you:

http://www.wayfair.com/Kaleen-Carriage-City-Park-Blue-Rug-6104-17-KR1707.html

You can probably tell I'm trying to work off of your previous too expensive Macy's pick.

April Stevens

• susan2494
    8 years ago

• PRO
    A Stevens Design
    8 years ago

Hi Susan,

The three of us are crazy to be up this late looking at rugs:)

• susan2494
    8 years ago

how about this one? I'm a night owl.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Too bright?

• susan2494
    8 years ago

• susan2494
    8 years ago

The 1st one is similar to the one from Anna, but has more color (I think) and the last one is similar to one you picked but has more light color leaves..

OK. I'm off to bed.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

A Stevens I just read you used to live in South Loop. Me too, but from 2004 to 2011.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Pottery barn is a good source for rugs. You can see some in person at the store and can get a swatch for $25 to take home. You can return the swatch for your money back.

• PRO
    A Stevens Design
    8 years ago

Chicago, around 1995-1998, then Pittsburgh/CMU for husband's business school.

All NY and VA now.

I still have Chicago friends.

I like your 2nd, 3rd and 4th rugs.

April

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks, Marcy
  • Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Mistry I am still near the south loop. Live not far from there. Little Italy university of Illinois.
  • Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Are these from pottery barn
  • Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Susan I like the first one. Where is it from
  • PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Love Little Italy area. Francesca's and Mario's Italian ice were some of our faves. I lived in Chicago for 37 yrs before moving to Southern CA. Miss the food.

My rugs I posted are Overstock and Pottery Barn. Did you want a source for any particular one?

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

I love Susan's 1st one!!

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I live about 5 blocks from Mario's. I am not on Taylor street. About 2 blocks from Taylor. I think I seen 2 of them on overstock. Which one of Susan's did you like. Was it the one I said was too busy
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

This is one from Macy's

This is from overstock

They are similar, but bottom one appears to be darker or has more color. I did read reviews and there seems to be some pink and lavender in the rug. Since your room is neutral might not be a problem $370

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

This one

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

This one is pottery barn.

• susan2494
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Deliver of rug from O.com is 4/22 That one above is O.com rug

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Susan do you have the names
  • PRO
    A+ Construction Inc.
    7 years ago

looks like some great ideas!

• happyleg
    7 years ago

Hi Anna, any updates?

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi happylegs no updates. Been in Chicago. Doing work on this house now. Posted my bedroom. Need help. Miss you guys
  • happyleg
    7 years ago

What's name on bedroom post?

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Need help with bedroom

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Happylegs did you find it?
Sponsored