Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazyb0ne

Small Basement Floor Art above Couch Ideas and Other Furnitures Ideas!

lazyb0ne
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hey guys I need help finding ideas for my basement floor. It is has 2 rooms and a living room with kitchen combined. It's a small basement home and I was wondering if anyone can give me ideas to make it a bit be more modern and comfortable. I really need help selecting the best artwork to put above the couch. I don't know what looks nice for that type of color scheme. There is also a Red circle on the pictures and The stuff near the refrigerator; that can be removed anytime and am lazy to move it at the moment. Thank you! and appreciated for any type of helpful advice! P.S Picture is a paranama shot so it looks more compacted.

It looks super empty; I need your inputs! Thanks!

1. http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/simon_liu1/ROOM_zpsf1zoeiup.png

2. http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/simon_liu1/Room_zpsoldh8q5s.jpg

Comments (50)

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Try a wallpaper mural on the back wall instead.

lazyb0ne thanked apple_pie_order
  • Rina
    8 years ago

Yay, it shows the whole image. It's a really good-looking room, by the way.

lazyb0ne thanked Rina
  • Rina
    8 years ago

If I may babble on a moment, it's struck me that I liked those two pictures because they introduce two other elements -- air and water -- into a very earthy room. As well as the other colours, of course. Didn't realise that when I picked them.

lazyb0ne thanked Rina
  • lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks you so much for replying! I liked the painting idea and to the other wall too. I will consider that. Also, I was wondering the sofa I had is a two piece and I was wondering if I should try to make it to a L shape. Bad thin ng is if I make it a L shape, it looks awkward and disconnected. I was wondering if I should put a night stand to connect them.

Also on the cabinet on the right, next to the bathroom do you think I should put something there? It looks awkward and empty. My uncle told me to cover up the fridge and I thought it was fine. I don't know if I should cover it up with different cabinets or just leave it as one. Any ideas? Thanks!!!!

• Jean Benelli
    8 years ago

I think a framed world map would add color, interest and be a great conversation starter. Do you live in a historic area? A local map with points of interest on it would look good on the small wall. I do think a book case placed along the side of your refrigerator will hide it and be added storage space. If you need a place to hang your hat, a hall tree on the smaller wall would also look good. And yes if you decide to make your sofas into an L shape you will need a table with a lamp.

lazyb0ne thanked Jean Benelli
  • lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Jean Benelli

Thanks for your input!

1) So I live in New York, so I don't think its a historic area. I did think about the world map. So I assume you also agree with the two artwork placements?

2) So is recommended to hide the whole refrigerator? And if I am, I should move the cabinet and the bookcase together?

3) I made the sofas L shape and does it look awkward? Should I buy a bigger nightstand? I always wanted to make it L but I don't like the curving part. And if it is L shape, the artwork would look much nicer. Thanks!

UPDATE: MANY THANKS

1)http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/simon_liu1/Mobile%20Uploads/20151227_202512_zpsv6sp987g.jpg

2)http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/simon_liu1/Mobile%20Uploads/20151227_201604_zps0tfvvvpv.jpg

3)http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/simon_liu1/Mobile%20Uploads/20151227_201556_zpsyl36alas.jpg

• Rina
    8 years ago

Good morning from my side of the world. I don't think you need to hide the refrigerator at all. The kitchenette is part of the space, and it's a really good-looking fridge. You could happily put a third piece of art on the wall on the right -- if you're using colour on the other side, you could place a large framed photograph or black/white drawing there, and put something on that cabinet that reflects one of the colours on the other side of the room. A big fruit bowl, perhaps?

Can we see a picture of the L-shaped arrangement in the same full long view as the I used above to illustrate art? I think the version with both parts of the couch against the walls might look best.

lazyb0ne thanked Rina
  • Nancy Ingram
    8 years ago
    Here's some suggestions:
    1. Wall mural-something scenic. Since you have no natural light, I think this would really help to bring the "outdoors" in.
    2. Consider painting end walls a darker color. Preferably a color found in mural. This will help to make the room not seem so long and narrow.
    3. Lighting: just having overhead lighting makes the space feel somewhat sterile. I would replace the overhead lights with ones that have a drum shade and a bottom light shield. Then you will not have all those weird shadows and glare. Put all lights on dimmer switches. You also need ambient light-table and floor lamps. If possible, add a hanging light over kitchen table. See floor plan.
    4. I would add some softness. Look for a shag area rug and one that is large enough so that all your furniture can be on top. Also consider adding an area rug pad, a blanket throw and accent pillows for the sofa.
    5. Plants. I always add some sort of greenery. Prefer real but fake will work. I would put something on the coffee table and one on the side of fridge.
    6. Furniture: I would move the tall cabinet with microwave to wall opposite fridge. Move cabinet that is next to tv where microwave cabinet used to be. Now you can bring in your black chairs. I would also bring your desk out of bedroom and put on long wall next to sofa. Now you can move bed so that it is centered under window and clothes closet can go on wall with door. See floor plan for other bedroom.
  • Nancy Ingram
    8 years ago
    Inspiration...
    lazyb0ne thanked Nancy Ingram
  • lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Rina : Actually, the the sofa all pushed against the wall is the best haha. But I'll probably get a new one in a year or two. The wall on the right you were suggesting is which wall? The one near the TV? Or the one near the fridge? Since my sofa is pretty long; when I buy the painting do I go according to the whole sofa? or just a part of the sofa? Thank you so much!

@Nancy Ingram : Thank you so much for your time. I really liked your advice and I want to clarify that I should mostly use the floor lamps/lamp-tables more than the overhead lights to make it less sterile?

-My sofa is super long; due to it support to be a L shape but taken apart due to it's length. So right now it's around 108" ~ 9 feet. Would it look awkward with a table-lamp next to it? I really loved the idea; but wondering would it make it too long?

-I also would like your input on paintings and the refrigerator. Also for the position of the paintings as well. I like what Rina suggested and would like your opinion on it as well. Do you also suggest I shouldn't block the fridge or the gap behind the fridge which may show some wires?

-One small thing is on the wall of the cabinet/desk/sofa there is a door which leads to the outside. So the cabinet couldn't quite be placed there. Also, If I don't like to put the desk there ; what else can I put over there since the area is still quite spacious even with the cabinet? The cabinet is new, so I can always return it for something else.

Again, Thank you so much!

• Rina
    8 years ago

I meant the wall above the coffee station (?) on the far right. If you don't fancy b/w, a food picture could be quite fun.

Yes, I think you are right in considering the couch too long to go 3/4 width or whatever for your art in that rather confined space -- it will be overwhelming and you can't get far enough away to see it properly. But I'd try to go more than half the width, if possible. Could you cut a large piece of board or paper to that kind of size, stick it on the wall and try to feel if that would be too big? If you feel you need to go less than half the length, then I would suggest you offset the picture to the left (it will be balanced the one on the other wall.

lazyb0ne thanked Rina
  • lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Rina : I'll try that or perhaps I can get three medium size frames and put it accordingly? What you think about that? That might look better than a big piece covering 9ft sofa. Really sucks to put a painting on top of the long sofa. Looks a bit awkward.

• Rina
    8 years ago

Yes, three could definitely work. I like that idea.

• Nancy Ingram
    8 years ago

As far as overhead lighting, i was suggesting that you change out your overhead fixture for one as pictured. Since the end wall is the one you see as you come in the door, you might look at doing a metal piece, large round clock, or large round mirror instead of an art piece. For art over the sofa, I would look at a triptych. Visually more interesting, especially when the panels are different sizes. I like your sofa broken up. You need to replace your end table with a square one that fills that entire area and is dark in color. Get a taller lamp. Move your tall bookcase to where I had shown the desk and still move your tall cabinet by tv to wall where bookcase was so you can put floor lamps on either side of tv. Also, I painted the end wall darker so you could see how that looks too.

• lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @Rina what 3 piece would you recommend? Thanks!

@Nancy That's a great idea for the light and frame on the big wall. But I was wondering if the light fixture require drilling and extensive work?

Also, wouldn't the sofa look a bit weird due to the uneven placement? So it would be good with a painting on the left side of the room and a big frame on the center of the adjacent wall? Thanks!
  • Rina
    8 years ago

I like Nancy's different-sized panels, and darkened end wall (though that corner may be too dark already?). I'm not mad about many of the commercial triptyches, which rather lack artistic energy to me. But I like this, for instance, on Etsy -- it's a lot more than just a random picture cut in three.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/105012910/triptych-art-stretched-canvas-print?ref=market

lazyb0ne thanked Rina
  • lazyb0ne thanked Rina
  • Rina
    8 years ago

Suggestions aside, art is intensely personal -- don't just buy something because its size and shape and colours are right. Buy something that lifts your heart, speaks to you, makes you smile or has some special meaning for you.

lazyb0ne thanked Rina
  • lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Update: So I manage to do this at the moment. Let me know of its weird. There's the spot in the corner. If it's not awkward and is okay, I'll buy a nightstand to fill up the space and a lamp there. And I gotta check out the paintings and lamps.
  • Rina
    8 years ago

Looking good, I think. A lamp in that corner would be great. Enjoy your shopping.

• Nancy Ingram
    8 years ago

Much better!

• lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What color lamps/pillows? The light one or black? Thanks!
  • Rina
    8 years ago

I think I fancy a black-shaded lamp, but where the pillows are concerned, I think you should choose your art first, and then decide on pillow colours and style. In fact, it's not a bad idea to choose the art before the lamp, too, because it could have a strong influence on which lamp looks best.

• Rina
    8 years ago

Some art from the Houzz site. Alas these are both heading for $200. The first one is based on a Georgia O'Keefe work, and though I don't think the second is your taste I had to include it because (a) it would work in your room, and (b) it's based on one of my favourite Edward Hopper paintings.

Safavieh Petalista Triptych Wall Art · More Info

"Main Street Triptych" Wall Art · More Info

• Rina
    8 years ago

Fancy a sea view? (Photograph)

Ready2HangArt Christopher Doherty 'Ocean' Canvas Wall Art (3 Piece) · More Info

• Rina
    8 years ago

And then there's this, abstract but not too abstract, and I think rather beautiful. It's just four feet wide, but being 32" tall it would have a lot of presence.

'Abstract Landsape Canvas Wall Art 3-Piece · More Info

• Rina
    8 years ago

One last one. I must stop enjoying myself and do something not so much fun. This would be really nice with the black/white lamp idea.

Abstract 3-Piece Canvas Wall Art · More Info

• Rina
    8 years ago

Hi

Doing a little fiddling with your room -- a black standing tripod and a small white one. Note that the two aren't an exact style match -- that's deliberate. I'm thinking over-matching is not a good idea (i.e. big and small versions of exactly the same design). I like the thinner shade for the corner. Still, I made both tripods for fun. The small one need not be, of course, but should be in the same general style. Looks good, I think.

• lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Rina thank you so much for your endless effort. I am very grateful for your help. I purchased two black tripod lamps and looking for a table lamp now. I'll update you, thanks again!!
  • Rina
    8 years ago

Yay, progress!

• lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So another update; Please give me your opinion, are the lamp shades too big? or is it okay? Should I keep the shade in the middle? or make it black? Thanks!

or is it too many lights?

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/simon_liu1/20160127_183331_zpsbq6yxv3s.jpg

• PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    8 years ago

Looks fantastic! I like the minimalist color scheme. Not sure which colors your are planning to introduce in your artwork but I thought I would give you a few ideas. Besides triptychs you may want to consider a set of 2 or 3 art pieces from the same series. And a panoramic piece also works above sofa, of course.

Bike In Black White And Red - set of 2 prints

Flower Abstract - set of 2 art prints

Moving Parts - set of 3 art prints

Indian Summer, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info

To find more ideas on colors and sets of artwork, please check out our page and search for the keyword "set", for any color or any shape of artwork. Enjoy and, please let me know if you have any questions... Raisa

• Rina
    8 years ago

Given that it's a wide-angle shot, and I think I'm seeing the lamp shades as wider, though shallower, than they are -- no, I don't think they are too big. They make a good, strong statement but they don't overwhelm the space. They help to give it shape. I can't really see a shade in the middle because the light is on so all I can see is bright light, but that also looks good to me.

One might say "too much lighting" if the big lamps didn't also act as sculptural shapes, which they do. You will seldom need all the lamps on at once, of course.

Looking at "before and after" on the link, I'm just so impressed.

lazyb0ne thanked Rina
  • lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much! Got me very happy haha. I'll get you a picture of it off. I was only planning if i ever want it on, I'll dim it.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/simon_liu1/20160128_005543_zpsiwegpccf.jpg

• Rina
    8 years ago

Bring the right standing lamp a bit closer to the sofa so that at least one angled leg is visible, and it doesn't look squashed.

• lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Rina, Not sure if my message got sent. So I'll put it here:

So I actually have 2 questions to ask;

1. I really
      like the lights and from your statement; they will stay J haha But I mean they makes
      sense though right? And Yes, I’ll bring it closer.
    1. Should I make the corner light black or stay
      bronze?
    1. So theres this spot in the beginning of the
    a. http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/simon_liu1/ROOM_zpsf1zoeiup.png

b. And I’m not sure what to put in that area.
    Nancy, suggest I should put the cabinet on that spot and I
    found out it looks a bit odd. So I moved it back on the side of the
    fridge; does that look weird? But now, another problem is, I don’t know what to put on that empty spot? What
    should I put to fill it in? I thought of shelves like these:

c. [https://www.houzz.com/products/dark-taupe-reclaimed-look-60l-tv-console-prvw-vr~25508163[(https://www.houzz.com/products/dark-taupe-reclaimed-look-60l-tv-console-prvw-vr~25508163)

d. But It might not look well. So I need a bit of
    help in that area.

1. Additionally, So this is the recently setup:

a. http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/simon_liu1/20160128_015748_zpsncatjbol.jpg

1. P.S I would get the painting soon. Thanks!
  • Rina
    8 years ago

I need to come back later or tomorrow as I'm going to be busy for most of today. Don't put a black shade in the corner. It's fine as it is.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Our designs for inspiration.

Pleasant View Court Residence, Oakville, Ontario · More Info

Hilltop Residence · More Info

• Nancy Ingram
    8 years ago

You are making good progress and I agree with Rina about the lamps. I still would like to see that cabinet on the other side of the room. If you flanked it with a chair on either side would that help. Explain why it feels odd. Or could you move it (if it's not too much trouble) and take a pic? Sometimes it helps just to live with it for awhile.

• lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello guys, So these are the pictures of the moving of the cabinet; haha its actually quite heavy. Actually it doesn't look weird anymore; maybe it was before my lamps came. Please give me your input; since there is a before/after pictures of the placements.

These are from two angles:

or

3) Most importantly, Is there anything else you guys would like to add? besides the painting?

-I actually do need a coat hanger.

4) Also, Nancy If I were to leave the cabinet like you preferred, what should I add next to the display case by the refrigerator? Should I add a leaning shelving unit like you suggested earlier? Thanks!

• Rina
    8 years ago

Ark! My comment disappeared while I was shopping for you. What about a coat stand, then, between the glass display cabinet and the refrigerator? I like this, and it looks like a bargain price compared to others.

Iron Coat Rack Coat Tree Stand · More Info

• Rina
    8 years ago

Oy, pics like this download beeeeg sometimes.

For some reason photobucket won't let me access your pics any more. Grrr. I'm getting 'web page not available' on all of them.

One thing that's bugging me is the collection of kitchen materials on top of the fridge. Some way of screening them is needed -- I presume they are there because of a lack of storage space in the kitchen? I don't think the fridge itself needs screening. I really like the geometric shape it forms with the alcove walls.

• lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh sorry, I think photobucket is on maintence. But I figured out how to directly post the pictures onto houzz. Haha, oh kitchen materials will be removed; I just put it there temporarily. I actually have a lot of space in the kitchen but lazy me. I will remove it when I have the next picture taken.

So I believe that putting the cabinet back on the sofa side is the right way to go? I'll leave it there and perhaps put a coat hanger over there over at the glass cabinet.

Theres the spot near the cabinet where you see some shoes; I am willing to take those out too. I kind of forgot to remove it too. Do you think I can put a coat hanger there instead? Might be more convenient near the exit door.

• Rina
    8 years ago

:-) I hadn't focused on the shoes. Yes, it would be nice if they went elsewhere. Yes, of course the coat stand could go there -- I just thought it was a suitably narrow thing to put next to the glass display case.

Just as a possible alternative, how about a slim artwork there? You could put a storage box beneath it. I've used a chocolate poster for fun as it's right next to the kitchen, but an elegant b/w line drawing in a slim dark frame would look good.

http://www.art.com/products/p10291180-sa-i1054238/pamela-gladding-chocolat.htm?sOrig=CAT&sOrigID=261671&dimVals=261671-207267&ui=0D2C70FA587F49EC8D878B98F18A5E9D

lazyb0ne thanked Rina
  • Nancy Ingram
    8 years ago

I think the cabinet works there-it helps balance out the room. Few more thoughts:

1. Look at getting a closed shoe storage unit and keep it next to the cabinet you just moved. Pic 1-IKEA

2. I know you don't like looking at the side of your fridge. They do make decals and magnetic panels that you could use and make an artful statement. See pics.

3. Consider either moving your trash can so that it is up against the fridge. Or put it in the cabinet under the sink.

4. Center your display cabinet on the wall. And get some colorful glass pieces or white ceramic pieces. Add a light if it doesn't already have one.

• lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Rina

Thanks! I actually like that idea and putting a coat rack there too. I will reupdate you :).

@Nancy

Actually, I'm okay looking at my fridge, just one of my family members came to take a look and told me I should cover up the fridge. Never liked the idea, but we'll see what we can do.

I thought about it and I like the closed shoe compartment which can be used as a small cabinet. I will buy the shoe compartment soon perhaps a little more taller one. And put a art on top? what do you think?

Also, what do you think about the coat racks?

• Rina
    8 years ago

If you were to change the tall cabinet, what about a much wider, lower piece? I've roughed up a bookcase from the top of your cabinet, but it could be something with drawers/doors, depends what you need. Get the height you were looking for with a tall, modern mirror.

• lazyb0ne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey guys, sorry to revive a old post, but I still want to ask for help if you guys don't mind. I've send this message to Rina, but not sure if it went through.

Update:

So I was always troubled with what 3 piece art to get and I finally got one that I liked. Its a 3 piece with shades of blue/black which I think could fit with the black lamps/pillows. I was wondering if this is a good place to put it? or the other wall on top of the sofa?

Painting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D1EIQKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, Rina right now the living room looks like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2NtzvRYeyxQbDRsWHE4a2FhZVU/view?usp=sharing

-I'm having trouble finding something to put by the side table. Thinking about floating shelves or something to cover it. Perhaps even a combo.

-Like I said early, I don't know if the 3 piece should be on that wall or the other wall on the other sofa. Because I know usually the painting goes to the back of the sofa facing the TV. If I stay like that, what should I put on those empty walls? I love the modern theme and hope to keep it.

-I already planned to put this picture on top of the wood-theme clock so I think that should be fine.

-Also, like someone posted before, I think a drum fixture is a great idea, what do you guys think?

Thank you so much!!!

• Rina
    7 years ago

Hi Lazyb0ne, so nice to see you again. It's bad timing for me as I'm on a tight deadline job and anyway life is being a bit hectic, but here is a thought from me ... yes, I think the picture would look good on that back wall. Separate the parts a bit to get more width, and hang it low centred over the back of the sofa. I still want to see a mirror over that gorgeous chest of drawers you have. Maybe horizontal rather than vertical? Not sure, but that narrow room could surely do with a bit of reflection to increase the perception of space.

I want a big statuette or vase or something in a strong colour to the left of the chest ... don't care what it is as long as you love it and it's not small and apologetic.

Looking good, though!