Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicolebanar

Builders light fixtures are yellow :(

nicolebanar
8 years ago
I walked through our house this past weekend to try and decide on paint colors and I was faced with a challenge. We paid a premium for upgrading all the fixtures in the house to Bronze, but what we didn't realize was that the fixtures would all have Amber Glass inserts. All the lights - especially in rooms that have no windows, like the powder room - have a yellow/orange glow.

Any advice? I forgot to take photos of the rooms that were most offensive since I was so sad. Attached is one of the fixtures and a picture of our tile with the light on vs. in natural light so you can see the difference. HELP!!

Comments (6)

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

I think you can ask the builder to make this right. Surely he must know that no one would want the only source of light in a room to have amber glass. Get antiqued brass if you must. It is making a comeback. Did you take any pictures of the fixtures? I'd like to see one.

• laragazza
    8 years ago

Don't be sad, this is so fixable. Emmarene is right, tell the builder about it, and expect him to make it right. If this is a builder of any size, you will get a satisfaction questionnaire after you move in, where you will be able to rate the builder. He will want you to answer that you are satisfied. If he won't make it right, then do what Beverly suggests, it will not cost much. This is a time for great joy. Don't let this little fly in the ointment spoil the joy of your beautiful new house. I love that shower!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 years ago

Bronze fixtures most OFTEN come with very off white or amber glass shades. A simple trip to a local lighting store with shade in hand for sizing....will fix your problem, ( you may need to special order) as will a check of the bulbs he used within, which may be the most basic green toned builder variety.

That said, in virtually no room, even a foyer, do designers regard ceiling lights as the ONLY light source ( powder rooms excepted perhaps) . Table lamps, standing lamps, recessed lighting, sconces, accent lighting.....all come into play. Fix the shade issue and know that the most attractive lighting in any scenario comes from a mix of levels and sources. .......my bet is you own some or many of those right now: ) and can relax.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

I always tell my clients to take the crappy builder lights and change them out themselves after they are in the space the builder just upcharges and really makes no attempt to design your lighting t fixtures that is your responsibility and you should have at least been given the opportunity to see them before install. You probably paid a premium price for a very run of the mill fixture, I agree bronze fixtures almost always come with cream or amber shades as white is too stark. The type of light bulb will have very little effect as long as the shades are amber as for the room with the tile that room is going to have a yellow cast no matter what you do as the tile will provide that color always.

• nicolebanar
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I am going to mention it to our builder during our walkthrough, but since he is a big builder I'm not sure what they will do. We do have a survey - so perhaps that will aid is here. Sadly we really just wanted the door hinges & handles upgraded - but to do so we had to do the whole package or nothing at all. In the rooms with natural light it is less noticeable, however, in the bathrooms it is horrid. I think my best bet it to replace either the glass or the fixture altogether.