Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tfoley31

Best color for accent piece with cherry cabinets

Tanya
8 years ago
We need to bring in a piece of furniture to help add a bit of storage in our kitchen, and I have found a great option to buy second hand and paint. My question is what would be a good logical color to paint it? I have attached a picture up close of the very red cherry cabinets and a long pic of the kitchen (previous owners setup so we have removed the table and took down the red curtains when we painted but still have them as a potential option as drapes are still tbd). The converted wardrobe will go just to the left of where the table is pictured so not touching any of the existing cabinets. With the shape of the kitchen being so narrow, and the backsplash being black, the room is a bit on the dark side so I want a bit of color brought in somewhere and am thinking of using this new furniture piece for that. What color would you paint it? Or would you strip it to the pine and stain it similar to the cabinets and not worry about it being a bit dark in there?

Comment (1)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

Blues and greens look smart with mid-tone cherry. More "antique" colours (antique blue in particular) look very handsome with cherry. This might add a bit of "country" to the space which might not be something you would like to see. It depends on your own tastes.

I see three different colours that could get it to blend into the current kitchen without much effort. You could strip it down to the pine so that it matches the floors. This would be a good way to have it incorporate into the space without standing out like a sore thumb.

Once stripped, you could leave it be for a while. If it doesn't suit your fancy, then you could look at the second and third options: paint the same brown as the back splash (looks to be dark brown) or stain to match the cherry.