Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nagoose

Pot filler or not to pot filler

nagoose
11 years ago
Do you think a pot filler is a good idea? We have one sink in the kitchen and it is very close to the stove, but I am wondering if having a pot filler is useful.

The main reason is to have another water source. If someone is working at the sink, if you want cold water to fill or top up a pot, etc, you have to interrupt the other person and wait until the water runs cold and then the other person has to turn it back to warm...

There is no room at all for us to have another sink like a prep sink.
Pot filler
No pot filler

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    11 years ago
    Agree with DIA....Kutch that was a bit harsh. Lets keep it positive here.

I think a pot filler is a great idea.
  • nagoose
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Of course it is our kitchen and our decision. Answers don't always come easy for a lot of people, namely me! Sometimes you do something you think is a good idea, but it then turns out to be not as you expected hence the question. Ultimately I will have to put on my big boy pants and decide. ; )
  • PRO
    Adapt Architecture & Construction
    11 years ago
    General we have talked more people out of pot fillers than we have put in. If you plan to cook lots of soup and stock maybe it would be nice but generally most of our clients do not use them often enough to justify the expense. They are not cheap and the sink is usually only a few steps away. As an avid cook myself I use a pitcher near my range if someone is at the sink and I need constant access to water.
  • nagoose
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    To DeWitt Architects: Thank you for sharing your experience/expertise. Your comment is definitely something for me to consider.
  • User
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    A vote in favor of the pot filler. We use ours every day because it reaches our coffee maker and my husband makes tea every evening. We have a galley kitchen so we do need to cross the kitchen to get to the sink - not that it's a difficult task by any means :) - but it is a nice little convenience.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    This is a totally superficial response, but I wasn't interested in one because I simply don't find them attractive!
  • Rawketgrl
    11 years ago
    IMHO Pot fillers are for large kitchens. I would not get one if you only have to take 6 steps to get to the sink. Invest in something else you will use every day or upgrade a feature instead...
  • PRO
    nFORMAL design
    11 years ago
    This is one of those subjective questions that only you can answer. If you notice, the votes are split almost 50/50.

@DeWitt...I have to disagree with you on this one. I cook a ton, and my roommate and I are "tag-teaming" all the time, so like gnenerak, I have to make him stop cleaning/using the sink. Let the water get cold, and then let the water get hot again--which takes forever. I would LOVE a pot filler in my apartment.

However, that being said, if you have a manifold system where hot water goes to each fixture separately, then I probably wouldn't feel like I need it as much. But, waiting for the hot water to come back up is a pain.

It's like a chef's knife. I know people who cook all the time that wouldn't spend $150 on a chef's knife, but I most certainly would. If you think you'd get your money's worth of satisfaction out of the price of the filler and install, I say do it. If you aren't sure about it, then you probably don't need it.
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    11 years ago
    Sorry if I came off rude.......that was not my intentions. My point was that nobody knows the OP's habits better than the OP and that the OP had pretty much already answered her own question.......does it really matter what everybody's opinions are? Everybody has an opinion, but the only one that really counts is the home owner who has to use her kitchen. It's not rocket science, either she thinks it will benefit her and how she uses her kitchen or it won't. If it does, put it in, if it doesn't, don't put it in. It's really that simple.
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Nagoose, I apologize to you directly if I insulted you in any way or manner, that wasn't my intent. Rereading my original posting I have to admit myself it was rather snippy, but my point is this....as designers or builders or design / builders, it isn't our personal preferences that we should be giving you, nor that you should be looking for. Our jobs and task are to determine what your preferences are, what works for you in your house hold, what style you're looking for, what colors you like, what level your looking for and what you're willing to budget for that. Then we take that into consideration as we hopefully with much skill pull it all together into a solution or solutions for your consideration.........if our recommendations don't reflect you and your needs and wants, then we have failed. If our solutions only reflect our personal preferences then they become nothing more than our opinions and this is a disservice to the client or those seeking advice.

The difference between a good designer and a great designer, in its most basic level is this.......a good designer knows good design principals (i.e what colors, fabrics, configurations work, quality of construction, etc., etc...). A great designer knows how to incorporate that knowledge into meeting the clients needs and that requires first getting to know the client's wants, habits, functions, desires, and their budget and that's extremely hard to do in a few line typed on a forum website. It can take hours if not days to gather the information into the client's life to put together something tailored to them as part of the solution. That solution may take days, weeks or months to incorporate all that knowledge into a viable solution...........

You asked a question, then you gave your reason for wanting one even though you were wondering if they were useful..............your answer lies within the lines of your original posting. What would work for you? There in lies your answer.

I have a pot filler, I have a prep sink and I have a general use sink.........I also have a coffee machine filler line. I don't have a big extravagant home (approximately 1200 SF). It's just my wife and I, but when I'm cooking I don't like conflict in the kitchen even with the water usage .... therefore I solved my problems, with abundant water sources.........that's how I roll. I wouldn't dare assume or propose that everybody should do what I did. Those are my personal preferences. Will I get my ROI on them... probably not, but that wasn't my purpose. Making my job in the kitchen easier was my purpose and I did that for my needs..........for my personal preference, because it was worth the extra effort and cost for us.

Your solution should be driven by you and what you want........and nothing short of that. Regardless of opinions.

I hope I conveyed my thoughts better this time for you.
  • PRO
    Adapt Architecture & Construction
    11 years ago
    I never thought about time it takes to change from hot water to cold issue at the sink. Maybe it is because our cold water is really warm down here in south Texas or that I put a 4gal water heater on the hot water line under my kitchen sink to have instant hot water in my old house.

Either way I agree that good knives are where the money should be spent. They are the only real cooking tool that matters. Oh wait…was that opinion? Oh noooooo I am melting!