matt_smith59

Help with Harbor Freight greenhouse bolts

Matt Smith

What bolts fit the tracks of the greenhouse? I'm building the 10 x 12 right now and need longer bolts for the bracing mods.

Excited to get this thing up and running. Also if mudhouse is still around thank you for your blog. Tons of great advice!!

• Matt Smith

Glad to see you're still around and glad to hear your greenhouse is still alive and kicking. I was able to find that same info on the Fastenal bolts. I'm hoping those will work since those should be easy to find in bulk to add stuff. As you can see I'm moving right along but I want to explore ideas for putting in the EMT braces at this point. No pannels will be going in till its fully braced. I'm going to go walk the hadware store tomorrow and see what will fit.

Had this lovley concrete slab sitting there doing nothing so I dropped the HFGH on that. I used that same foam sill seal you did and wrapped the foundation in a tar backed foil flashing to prevent rusting.

Instructions aren't bad, I'm sure they were horrible when you built it. Only real issue I've found is the corner brackets for the foundation are bent wrong and leave a gap where the foundation corner meets. Too bad I didn't know this till I drilled the slab and set the anchors. Looking like its should be ok though.

All in all it's really nice. Got it for $540 after a 25% cupon a few weeks back so you just cant beat it.

matt_smith59's ideas · More Info

• mudhouse

Yes, the greenhouse is still chock full of plants, with two heaters keeping them company, as we speak. Humming right along.

Looks good. How nice to have a slab already in place!

The instructions have been improved over the years. In an odd way the confusing instructions lead to a good thing, because I think the frustrations encouraged people to band together here on this forum (out of self defense!) Especially when the kit was new, the community brainstorming was great. There are now two versions of the 10x12 kits out there. I'm assuming some of the parts have been changed to make things better (I have been told the newer doors function more smoothly than the old version, for example.)

Overall, as you said, I surely cannot complain about the price, and the years of enjoyment we've had. I'm not happy with the longevity of the Harbor Freight polycarbonate panels in my sunny climate, but even after adding in the cost of replacement panels, it's still been a great value for me. The (much needed) modifications for strength and panel safety aren't expensive; they just take some time and a little bit of thought.

This spring I'm planning to bite the bullet and buy true UV protected polycarbonate, to replace almost all of the panels. A bad hail storm in October added insult to injury, so it's time. And I'm getting too old to replace the roof panels every four years or so, so a nice ten year warranty on panel material is sounding good to my old bones.

Happy New Year!

• Matt Smith
    Thanks for all your hard work posting your build. I had a gut feeling that this greenhouse wasn't good enough on its own but once I saw the kids I knew this was a great thing to have.

Thanks again and Happy New Year.
  • Matt Smith
    For those who may have the same question here's what I got. They fit perfect, slide right in and don't spin at all. The ones in the kit are meteric but it makes no nevermind to me.
  • mudhouse

Thanks for posting this, Matt.

• Matt Smith
    I'll post a thread with my final mods when I'm done for others that may need it.