Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlerda

BEST light GRAY PAINT color for whole house?

Jessica
8 years ago

looking for a soothing, rich, fresh gray that will go with everything and make our white baseboards and door POP...any suggestions??

Comments (29)

• teamaltese
    8 years ago
    Jessica, so much depends on the color of natural light your rooms get. What looks great in one room may look awful in another. Some grays have blue, some have green, some have pink undertones, depending on the light. Your best bet is to go with a paint brand you like, and sample the grays you like.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

I find Vancouver Day from C2 is a great true gray and it works as a real neutral I have it through my whole main part of my house and still love 9 yrs later.

• Jessica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

good idea, it's just so hard to tell until you get them on the wall...I thought maybe some pros/designers may have a "go-to" gray that they could suggest

• Jessica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Form & Function that looks like it has more tan in it- is that how it looks on the wall? I have a similar color on my walls now and although it's a great neutral, I'm looking for a more of a spa gray

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Revere Pewter and Edgecomb grey come up again and again as go to colors on houzz. Try them and remember they can be lightened too if you want very pale.

• Stuarton28th NYC
    8 years ago
    Benjamin Moore Angelique.
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Jessica, it has just the tiniest hint of beige. It never hurts to buy a little sample and test it out in your home!

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

My go to is Revere Pewter. Assuming you have natural light throughout most of the space.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

On the Rocks Sherwin Williams 7671

Boynton Beach Condo Before and After · More Info

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    This has to be the most asked question by far on Houzz! Of course it is almost impossible to really tell how a gray will look in anyone's space what with lighting etc. it depends on whether you really want a warm gray, as in BM revere pewter or a cooler grey such as BM titanium. BM cliff side gray is pretty neutral. So is SW repose gray. But who knows, you have to try?
  • lexi2012
    8 years ago

It get the right tone, you really have to try it on one of your walls. Buy a sample. My daughter went through 3 gallons of different grays before she settled on the right on, actually she painted the room 3 times because each shade looked so different once on the wall. One was too blue, one was too brown, etc.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Oh dear! Please don't do that! If you find that you are having a difficult time with discerning the underlying tones in the greys you are picking it may be worth paying to have a color consultant come for an hour or so to pick this out for you. Buying cans of paint and having swatches all over the wall are not very helpful!
  • Steph
    8 years ago
    Chose Sutton Place Grey for a majority of my condo. Very fresh against white crown molding, very neutral tone, without it being regular grey, looks great next to bamboo flooring.
  • PRO
    Imperial Flooring Inc.
    8 years ago

Sherwin Williams Ellie Gray

• Lisa Robinson
    8 years ago
    Jessica we just painted out living room do you like this shade?
  • PRO
    Ever After Custom Homes
    8 years ago

Sherwin Williams - Agreeable Grey.

It is a very light grey and looks really good. White baseboards really pop.

Definitely buy a sample and do some test spots in various lighting conditions.

• Jessica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone, this is helpful...I am tempted to have a color consultant come to the house- I think Sherwin Williams does a free consult.

@hermosalisa yes I love that- it seems warm, rich, cozy, refreshing and really makes the white pop...I do see a lot of blue in there...are you happy with it? Our floors will be a similar medium tone.

• Lisa Robinson
    8 years ago
    Jessica,

There is a hint of blue that shows up more in pics than in person. It's a cool cozy gray as you stated. If you decide to sample this one it's Behr Marquee color Galactic. We absolutely love it. We have not retouched the trim or baseboards yet and still the white stands out. Best of luck
  • gustaviatex
    8 years ago

The house I recently bought is painted SW Icicle. It is the palest gray (but still great contrast with the white doors and trim) that looks pale blue in some light. It took some getting used to, but I like it. Depends so much on the light.

Existing Michele house · More Info

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    I think it is helpful if you view your paint chips together on a sheet of white paper in good natural light. This will help you see the difference in the undertones and you can eliminate the ones you don't like. The SW site has a nice feature were it shows you " like" paints when you pick a color. This helps you to see the obvious difference in these grays.
  • Steph
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is Sutton Place Grey by Glidden-Color matched to Valspar. LR/DR, Kitchen. Very light, fresh, and livable.

• Lisa G
    8 years ago

You might like SW Agreeable Gray. In my old house I tried Revere Pewter but it took on a pink tone in certain light.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    You can clearly see the differences here! All of these suggestions are fine but may not look anything like that in your space! Good luck and keep us updated!
  • dd
    7 years ago

What is the hype about Gray owl? It turned muddy looking on us most of the day - when the sun is out, it is a green room! I would not use this unless you have an East West facing room. Avoid it!

• Jessica
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I ended up using Rhinestone by Sherwin williams and we love it- it's a very faint gray and has a hint of blue in it but it really pops against white trim...We tried at least 15 on the wall and they were allllll tooooo dark...Check out Rhinestone if you are looking for a great neutral gray that won't overpower the space....we did the whole house and are very pleased!

• Mary Miller
    5 years ago

i did Rhinestone by SW at our beach condo and is absolutely stunning with white marble tiles.... about o do our home and want something on the pale side as that but maybe not the same color

• aliceingardenland
    3 years ago

SW Misty looks great in my lighting.

• Kathryn TIKI
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am doing Benjamin Moore Collingwood on all of my walls with Benjamin Moore Shale on my ceilings. It looks amazing! OC-17 White Dove trim and SW Urbane Bronze on my baseboards. All of my artwork, wood floors, white upholstery etc look great! I especially love how the time of day changes the tones of the greys just slightly. 4 Eastern facing windows in one room, only one in others on Western side. Clean. Converted double shotgun in New Orleans with 11' ceilings.