rwillekes

Kitchen dilemma

Robin W
I have one of those atrocious 80's kitchens with the laminate cabinets with wood trim handles. I'm painting the cabinets all white but am torn as to whether or not I should add hardware. Thoughts?

• bevballew
    I get you with those cabinets. I would try painting the wood black first if you think you will like that look. Maybe paint just one cabinet with a latex paint you could remove rather easily if you don't like. I think it sounds pretty cool myself. I lived in a house years ago with those cabinets. I think a black trim might be fun.
  • kitasei
    Sure - put up a poster of Nancy Reagan saying Just Say No on the refrigerator, another of the Tianammen Square uprising and Earth Day, and find a period telephone and computer. Call it Millennial.

Low window kitchen dilemma

I have no idea you need to post a to scale floor plan with all the windows doors and plumbing details . A good idea of surrounding spaces and a budget.

Kitchen Dilemma - U shape and Island or Peninsula

Kitchens usually need fairly large walkways, especially when people are pulling out chairs at a seating area or opening appliances or cabinets in a cooking area. That's even more true in your case because it appears your kitchen connects to the bathroom and what looks like a few other rooms. So there will be a lot of foot traffic. A peninsula is almost always a better idea in a small kitchen than an island for three reasons: A) It greatly reduces the number of walkways as it is connected to a wall on one end. B) it totally separates the cooking and eating areas which prevents people from bumping in to each other. C) It adds cabinet and countertop space as it wraps around the corner. All of that is true here and I think your contractor's advice and drawing are good. Kudos to the contractor for being honest instead of trying to squeeze an island in to a too small space as many of them do to please the customer. Do you have room for a dining table in your living room? Most people find counter height chairs uncomfortable for long time periods and would be happier eating at a table than an island or peninsula anyway. Usually an island or peninsula is mostly used for secondary seating for breakfast and snacks.

hello Big problem small kitchen dilemma!!

Your cabinets are just fine and so's the countertop. The floors are wonderful and do harmonize with the cabinets--not sure why everyone thinks they don't complement each other. What would help hugely would be repainting all the walls a warm, creamy white instead of taupe. The taupe walls don't bring out the warmth of your cabinets, floor, cabinets, or furniture. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/11-terrific-paint-color-matches-for-wood-details-stsetivw-vs~9025200 Here's Gentle Cream BM One cosmetic feature you could add is a stained-to-match deep molding across the cabinet tops the take them to the ceiling.

Faux Tile Chair Rail Kitchen Dilemma

HI, I'm having a hard time imaging what this will look like regarding cabinets and stove. Will the stove (same stove?) be in the same place it is now but with a vent hood and a cabinet flanking each side but not to the corner? Is the fake tile basically plaster that is scored to look like tile?
  • kitasei
    Rubik's cubes would add great pops of color...
    FN Design
    You could stain all the wood bits a color that matches the floor, paint the cabinets white and get rid of the thingie in front of the window ... then new hood and faucet and remove what seems to be a light box and install new lighting.... that should hold you over till you give in and get a new kitchen. ;)
  • charleee
    Oh Dy, seriously? It reminds me of the time my friend's daughter wanted to dress old-fashioned for Halloween, I'm thinking poodle skirts, bobby socks and saddle shoes, she's thinking hippie.
  • charleee
    By they way, your kitchen looks very neat and clean, good job :))
    Maier Architects
    I agree with using horizontal hardware if any. Actually to update the kitchen, before I painted the cabinets, I would remove the valence over the window to let in more light and take the linear appearance away. Then I would consider new lighting as what appears to be the 80's flourescents really "date" the kitchen and change its mood. The new faucet and stainless range would really bring it out of the 80's.
  • apple_pie_order
    I'd paint the wood handles white or black or stain them darker to match the floor's wood tones. For the overall appearance, you might consider adding lights above the cabinets to give the kitchen some drama and depth. Most kitchens look better without storing or displaying things in the space between the cabinets and ceiling.
  • providences
    Previous comments are correct that the kitchen cabs can be easily made to look modern, but you have not told us if you prefer a streamlined modern look as in the picture posted with one reply, or a traditional look (the all white cabs, lots of large trim pieces and details).

The golden oak current look is very dated and should be changed. I don't think new hardware would improve the look of the cabinets given that the handles are already built in as part of the wood trim.

For a modern look, if your wood trim is really wood, then consider sanding and staining it so it contrasts with the white but still keeps its wood nature - grain etc. A white-washed or gray weathered look works for oak. If the trim is veneered MDF (especially a plastic veneer like in the 80), then don't paint. It will not look professional due to brush marks and the paint might have trouble adhering. It is possible to laminate it to a stainless look, or with real wood veneer to give it a quality grain and color. Lowe's also sells a U-shaped aluminum rail (in the hardware steelworks section) that could be used to replace this oak trim on the door tops and still provide the same functionality.

Modern kitchens also get away from the wall of uniform cabinets look, so you could invest in a frosted glass door here and there, interior cabinet lighting, as well as some open shelves. Ikea sells some cheap steel open shelves and wall rails to get you going.

For a traditional kitchen, you should probably get some crown molding for the cabinet tops and upgrade that window valance (or remove it altogether). Cabinet hardware would also be appropriate, but you should probably change the oak trim to something that doesn't have an obvious handle function as to get away from the "quick and dirty upgrade" look, and make it seem that these cabinets have always been like that. Personally I don't think you can really make a melamine white cabinet ever assume the look of a traditional white kitchen so perhaps a modern look is your better option.

I think that the range hood also needs to be upgraded perhaps to a stainless or even a glass model, or get the built in microwave (a cheap one could be around $250).
    White Lotus Interiors
    Two sets of hardware is just odd.
  • winniegirl
    Hey, Love that kitchen! We have the matching cabinets in the kids bathroom :) ha! Thought you couldn't paint laminate? Maybe that's just in the bathroom where the moisture would peel it off. I am in no position to offer any advice,( only sarcastic comments) since I come here to get my questions answered by all of you creative types. You have some great ideas, I like the idea of a dark stain on the lovely oak trim. Can't wait to see what you do! good luck
  • charleee
    rwillekes, you have many comments on your dilemma, any thoughts?
  • Robin W
    Great comments! Thanks for the thoughts all!

I've thought about staining the oak to match the floor but given the amount of it in the kitchen, I'm worried that it would be overwhelming. Both pieces on the sides of the fridge are the same oak.

I would really love to get rid of the 'thingie' above the window but because of the molding going around the top of the cabinets, the cabinets around the window would look orphaned without. I thought about trying to salvage the trim (I'm on a pretty tiny budget right now) but removing and angling might prove to be pretty tough. Thoughts?

The light fixture will be replaced, I'm thinking some simple track lighting. The hood fan and faucet are also going to be replaced.
  • bcgirl80
    Hello - I agree paint the wood a darker accent color black is perfect, match the range to the dishwasher and I would add hardware. Something simple clean -
  • Robin W
    Update. Finished painting the cabinets. Decided to go all white for now and see how it looks. Don't have the corner cabinet door put back yet but thought I would share the progress. Pardon the mess...

Trying to decide on a wall color now...
  • charleee
    Oh man is that ever better! Great job!
  • Starbella
    What are those cupboards called European? That's what my friend calls her mothers cabinets;)
  • Robin W
    I don't actually know the technical term for the style of them. I just call them ugly.

That said, they look a lot better painted but I will admit, a complete renovation is in the immediate future.
  • Starbella
    I totally understand. I just bought a new home and the kitchen is honey oak. I see a Reno in my future but need to start saving. I will be painting or gel staining them till I can get the cream kitchen of my dreams:)
  • dianecourbat
    Yes, those cabinets were called European in the '80s. What is called European now are cabinets that are completely plain, usually shiny and still have no hardware showing. They go to the ceiling and almost look like a blank wall. I like them a lot!
  • bevballew
    You cabinets were th big craze in the 80s deviating from the standard. Too bad the painting did not help. I have friends who put Home Depot cabinets in their home and they look beautiful. And I assume the prices might be decent. I had your style cabinets in a small bathroom when we built out home in the 80s. I agree they are ugly now. At that time they did seem cool! Maybe you can just put new fronts on your cabinets?
  • Cheryl C
    Robin, your cabinets look wonderful! I was going to suggest painting the wood white rather than black but as I read further you already painted them! You go girl. They look awesome. Good decision.
  • Robin W
    Oh my! I had forgotten all about this! I never did post pictures of the finished update. It took me about 2 months and there are a few little things to do still but here's the finished photo.
  • rosiegabby
    Looks really good.
  • bitterswt02
    Cute!! yes to the hardware question. It the finishing touch. Lovely job! Congrats!
  • Cheryl C
    And nice color choice on the walls. love it!
  • marchjuly
    What did you use to prime and paint? We have the exact same cabinets but haven't painted them because we assumed nothing would really work...or last. Please share your process!
  • toddmanning
    last year I redid these same cabinets. We flipped them inside out. Drawers & cabinet doors are flat on the inside. I thought the laminate needed to be sanded so that the paint would hold up to daily use. So i bought one of those $85 kits from Lowes Took 2 days for me to sand, prime, paint & poly the whole kitchen. Waited another 24hrs to screw in the handles & a little slip of the screwdriver left a mark. When it came time to redo the bathroom cabinets those also have this same laminate, we flipped the cabinet door, painted it with a spray paint this time & added the handles. After a year, I have never had to touch up the bathroom cabinets but had to fix the marks in the kitchen many times. I would recommend plain old good quality spray paint. The ones I used in the bathrooms were the rustoleum 2X ultra coat in white & the other the rustoleum Universal in copper finish. I replaced the laminate top in the 1 bath with a granite counter with an under sink everyone thinks it's an expensive vanity and the spray paint cabinets have a better shine. Don't waste your money on those kits.
  • apple_pie_order
    @toddmanning: do you have photos? Sounds like you found an excellent strategy, too.
  • toddmanning
    Right now all I have is a before pic from the listing. I never took a pic after we finished. I'll try to do it some time today so i can post both before & after.
    D. Ryan Group -Construction Services
    I wouldn't paint laminate .. That's crazy ! Just order new drawer faces and doors .
  • tlparks
    Robin W, what is your wall color?
  • Robin W
    D Ryan - sometimes budget dictates what options are available to you. I wanted a simple update that would make it look better. It doesn't have to last forever, just look better until I can afford to replace it all. Please don't post here if you're going to be negative and discouraging like that. Some of us like to be crazy creative!

As for how... I took all the doors and drawer fronts off and cleaned them with TSP. Then I roughed them up with sandpaper front and back. Reversing the doors wasn't an option as they are full overlay doors so they have big holes in the backs that would have required filling. So rough them up, then give them a good wipe with a soft cloth to get all the dust. I primed both sides with a high adhesion primer (I think it was BIN 123) letting dry a day in between coats. I did 2 coats of primer. Then I used a melamine paint designed for cabinets - CIL Smart from Home Depot. Two coats of that waiting 1-2 days between coats. Also did the same thing for the cabinets. Big things are the sanding, priming and follow the instructions on the cans.

It's been over a year now since I finished and I haven't had ANY problems. The cabinets are easy to wipe down and I've even had to scrub a few but as of yet I have no significant wear marks. If you're on a budget and want a simple redo to hold over till a full renovation is possible, I strongly recommend painting. And don't listen to people who say they wouldn't paint laminate. It is possible!
  • tlparks
    Wall color? :)
  • Robin W
    Sorry TL. I had to go look at the can as I couldn't remember. It's CIL Cliffside.
  • apple_pie_order
    @toddmanning: thanks for the new photos. Your kitchen went from outdated to sleek and sophisticated. Nice to know there are alternatives for painting various laminates.
  • marchjuly
    Thanks for the info. I might just give it a try...
  • Joanne Charamella
    I painted my (same) cabinets White; stained the trim Dark Oak; replaced the countertop with a Brown granite laminate and replaced the faucets and lighting with Oil Rubbed Bronze fixtures. Navy oriental rug on dark oak hardwood floor and Navy check curtains at the windows. Hope this helps.
  • tiamay
    Great job on the update.
  • desertgirl
    Those were the same cabinets my dad just refinished . He sanded and put a 2 inch frame around face. He used a paint from Home Depot that you have to special order to paint over this material . Lots of time and fairly labor intensive. The end result was great, he ended up with a pale butter yellow cabinet and put on a new counter. Good luck on the decision.
  • Ramona Eggenberger-Genosa

I like the idea of just painting the oak trim black, going to do that, then a modern black splash in grey/black/white subway tile, the update could look good without all the $$$$$. /will keep you all posted.

• dawn_dunn18

Personally I would leave the cabinets as they are and just add hardware. Your cabinets are in good shape and they're very clean looking. Maybe if you updated the countertop and backsplash and then added a new faucet it would make the room look more modern. Or if country is your thing you could add cute country pulls to the cabinets. In my experience... painting laminate does not work in the kitchen unless you're going for a MAJOR project and plan on taking the cabinets down to do yourself or paying a professional. When I tried that project it was such a disaster that I ended up just getting new cabinet doors... now there's an option as well. Much less expensive.

• Joanne Charamella
    My exact kitchen! For your project, first select a color scheme. Mine is navy blue, white and brown. Here is what I did: Prime/paint cabinet doors and drawer fronts a high gloss white. Stain the wood trim dark oak. IMO, No door pulls; the wood trim is enough. My new counter is a brown quartz-look laminate; the sink is white porcelain; faucets are bronze. A new light fixture and area rug pulls it together. My cabinets are starting to fall apart so I am glad I did not spend too much on my upgrade. Save your money for new cabinets in your future. Good luck.
  • luvlylux

Thanks Robin for your post and updates. Duly appreciated. I was having the EXACT same dilemma with my kitchen. I wanted a quick and cheap makeover for the 80's european style kitchen cabinets and I was thinking of painting the wood trims white but wasn't sure how it would look. I was also going to add hardwares to the cabinets (particularly glass like acrylic knobs) but now that I've seen yours I may not after all. Only thing is I'm stuck with outdated backsplash tiles but I'm thinking to do marble contact paper over it as a temporary fix up. Several youtube videos show that they were easy to apply and not hard to remove. All this is a temporary fix up anyway til the actual renovation a few years down the road. :) Will post up before/after pix some time when it's all done.

• Rps Abque

I'd love to see a close up picture of the paint job. I can't imagine painting over laminate looks very professional. You don't paint laminate since laminate is a non-porous material the paint will have nowhere to go and just dry on top, showing every brush mark. I imagine it looks like "painted laminate."

• Steph
    Not true. I used a shellac primer and Ben Moore advance, and I have no brush strokes. It's all about the prep, and laminate should not be overly sanded before you prime. Everyone asks me if they are sprayed professional or that they look like they were bought that way.
  • Rps Abque

UPDATE on my comment: I read and saw what was said in a few comments down about that Melamine paint she used. Never heard of it. Interesting! Thanks for the comments.

• David Allan King
    last year

I've been reading elsewhere on this (am embarking on the same project) and from what I have seen it can be really nice to paint the wood trim the same white as the door, as provides a much more streamlined thorough look. Keep us posted how you progress!

I have the same 80’s cabinets. Painted the oak white on top, all black on the bottom and added hardware and new counter top.