Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessicaspy

Home Depot American Woodmark?

jessicaspy
8 years ago
What are quality thoughts on Home Depot American Woodmark? We are interested in their painted cabinets (style Reading) Anyone have long term reviews of this product?

We are looking for good quality but not too expensive- we will opt for some high end finishes elsewhere. Thank you!

Comments (21)

• User
    8 years ago

Entry level quality and mediocre to poor finishes. Would look incongruent matched with high end products. Thomasville is about as low as I'd go on the food chain if you're shopping HD. It's solidly mid grade. But only if you have an experienced KD. That is the biggest issue that you'll have in any box store.

• jessicaspy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sophie can you expand on your comment regarding poor finishes? We would use a designer or HD designer and our own contractor for the install.

We had been considering a semi custom line from Kith/Eudora, using a kitchen designer from a local shop, but the cost was above our comfort level.
  • stlouisgaltoo
    8 years ago
    My DIY comment has to do with the price point of your house. We used HD for our total kitchen remodel. My husband hung/installed all of the cabinets. The laminate counter top, sink, plumbing, and flooring were professionally installed. My husband installed the tiled backsplash. After about 7 years after we installed the cabinets I am still very happy with my cabinets. BUT....our house is on the low end price of homes. Under $150k. No granite or high end finishes needed here. It would be silly to do so. Price point and reality influenced our decisions. It was such an improvement over the previous, decrepit kitchen that was here when we moved in. UGH! I " think" we used American Woodmark. I know it was not the Thomasville.
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

They don't sand the doors anywhere near enough in the finishing process. Look at any of the cross grain areas and they will be rough. Rub a nylon stocking over a stick and cope door's exposed end grain. It will snag. The paints and finishes are mediocre to poor. The door joinery and finish is a C to D. The box construction and hardware is C to C-. By the time you play the upgrade game, you could have just bought better cabinets in the first place. And you should if you are doing a high end kitchen.

Average mid grade a cabinet expenses in a mid grade 55K remodel are going to be in the 15-20K range. That's for middle of the road. Thomasville, Shiloh. Medallion. Schuler. There's plenty that can go much higher, which if you are doing a high end kitchen (110K+) you should be choosing. Rutt. Omega. Plain and Fancy. Not cheap box store stuff.

There is no such thing as good quality for a cheap price. Cheap price buys cheap to mediocre quality. TANSTAAFL

• stlouisgaltoo
    8 years ago
    Yep, we used American Woodmark...Del Ray. Still love it.
  • User
    8 years ago

They are a fine choice for a budget kitchen. Not a high end.

• stlouisgaltoo
    8 years ago
    Sophie, not everyone can afford TOL. Nor is it always warranted in lower price point homes. IMHO. She needs to qualify her house, location, etc. We are rural. The next owner may even knock our house down. But it will make a great rental too. No way would I want to leave a TOL kitchen (granite, etc) for next owner..I would never recoup my investment. But I am practical. I get compliments on my kitchen. It functions. In my next life I will have the funds for a designer home. Some of the kitchens are way over the top. We did the entire remodel (including the entire house plumbing) for 12k. :).
  • stlouisgaltoo
    8 years ago
    Yep, ours was a budget kitchen. I cannot argue with that!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Recommend you post this on the Houzz forum that addresses kitchens. You'll get a quick response from posters who have recently used or not used American Woodmark cabinets.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath

• jessicaspy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OP here...we live in upper middle class suburb of Washington, D.C...house is 3000 square foot/but has all builders originals from 1991. Lots of oak, laminate, and gold. We have a lot to do and would like to spend $40k on kitchen, excluding the floors. It's a u-shape with peninsula. Removing bulkheads and changing some electrical in areas. Will do granite, under mounted sink, counter depth fridge and possibly range with hood - either ss or cabinetry and place microwave in shelf or drawer. Estimates for contract work with floor have come in at about 15-17k. Expected granite is 5k. Would love the cabinets to come in 10-15 max.

• teamaltese
    8 years ago
    @jessica, if you're in the DC area, check out IKEA kitchens, you'll find them in high end homes in that area. We lived therefor over 30 years, and many mid level homes ($600K up) had IKEA kitchens. There are contractors who specialize in installation.
  • tumbleweed70
    8 years ago

I put in Woodmark in my kitchen 3 years ago. I probably would find another brand. I did maple and the top cabs were painted off white. The bottoms I had done in a dark espresso stain (don't remember what shade). The bottoms are beat up and dinged easily, and the stain is wearing off in a couple places. This is a house with two adults (one more careful than the other!). I sometimes wish I had put in another brand.

• gduplessis
    8 years ago

Jessica spy: Don't know where in the dc area you are. If you are anywhere near Fairfax, the Fairfax Circle HD has a good KD; Cheryl Nolte. A few neighbors have used her and thought she was excellent. We used Cherry Hill Cabinetry based in McLean. Their prices were fair and the cabinets are amazing. Also heard good things about Moss design.

• jonathan3
    8 years ago

We put in Woodmark cabinets three years ago and they still look like new. They are made in Arizona and I wanted to "buy local" as much as possible. I haven't seen one dent, scratch, or rough place left over from sanding. We have maple Savannah cabinets with a medium stain and auburn glaze, and we are very happy with them! I would definitely recommend them. These were upgraded to furniture quality when we purchased them so they weren't cheap. The boxes are made of a thicker plywood base with a nice veneer. We live in Tucson and it is very dry. At first, I was concerned about the wood drying out and finding loose joinings or warping of the wood fronts but nothing like that has happened. Hope you find a cabinet that you like.

• afischy
    8 years ago

@jessica, I'm also in a suburb of DC, and feel like you described my kitchen. Are you planning to keep the U shape? I am having difficulty choosing between keeping the U or moving to an L with island.

• User
    8 years ago

An (appropriate) Upper Middle renovation in DC metro for 40K is unrealistic. That is 20K below the national average for a plain jane mid grade kitchen redo with no structural changes. Take a look at the Cost vs. Value Report for data linked to your metro area averages. An upscale remodel is gonna run you 120K +.

Double your budget for a ballpark number with material choices that reflect your neighborhood home fit. Sure you can put in cheap builder grade choices again, but most people renovate to get rid of that and upgrade their home's value.

• teamaltese
    8 years ago
    I agree with Sophie. $600K is a mid level home, over that, you're getting into much finer finishes and products. $40K is not going to get the high end renovation you want. We lived in NOVA for 30 yrs, in both high end and low end suburbs. $40K are exurb prices for renovations in condos and townhouses. $80 K at a minimum for all contractor work, less if you can do a credible job at DIY.
  • PRO
    Coldwell Banker Residentual Brokerage
    7 years ago

Love American Woodmark.

• PRO
    Coldwell Banker Residentual Brokerage
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I personally looked at all the store brand cabinets. I opened and closed the doors of the American Woodmark cabinets they were the most beautiful. The opening and closing do not sound like cardboard they feel solid. The cabinets line up perfectly at the top and bottom of the cabinets. I compared to all other brands including Thomasville and there was no comparison. I sold furniture for 15 years American Woodmark smokes all the other brands.

• Stephanie Windsor
    3 years ago

Zip it Sophie, you sound snotty and are doing a disservice to professional designers with your snobbery.