Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elcieg

OLLD 2/21

elcieg
11 years ago
Morning girls, and, i hope today, roosters…

Did Dali sleep through the night, alone? Or was she cuddled up to mp and j?

Astraea, bobbi and I are not on you know what. Was it a date?

Comments (55)

• charleee
    11 years ago
    That is stunning! You need to come here and do my front bathroom. I want to freshen it up with different colors but I'll probably go with mostly white so I can change it with the seasons, ya know? Like light and bright towels for spring/summer and darker for fall/winter. Right now it's done in all browns and I'm tired of that look.

I think I'll go with coral for spring/summer, what do you think? But no turquoise. I know everyone says they go well together but I don't think so!
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    11 years ago
    Order in the hen house.............Rooster on the floor........

As you were ladies....sorry, couldn't resist.. Not doing much today at all........it's cold, windy and wet outside. Just to the north of us they're getting freezing rain....so I'm content with not doing anything today.

Actually, in no condition to day to do much......have a couple of paintings in process that I need to work on, but not even feeling up to that today. Have to remind myself not to order my specialty drugs along with my regular maintenance meds. My maintenance meds come in 90 days supply and this time the refill came at the same time I needed to order my specialty shot, which has to be verified over the phone and with insurance before they fill it..............so they held up the entire order while that took place. The result was I was off my blood pressure meds and thyroid meds for about 2 weeks. Now that I'm back on them, the BP med is giving me a head splitting headache until my body readjust......bad part is I have a quarterly exam and blood work scheduled for next Tuesday and I'll have to listen to my Dr. read me the riot act for not being on the ball...........at least I'll be able to tell him that ,yes, I'm on schedule for my monthly shot.............."oh goodie, goodie.... I so love sticking a $10K harpoon in my leg every month......."

Note to self: "Calm, calm....... calm damn it."!!! Okay, I'm better now, I'm lying but I like to pretend.

Maybe I should start a new painting...........no telling what angry, angst filled emotions might come through in the finished product......

Will probably just end up working on our SketchUp models of the newly revised kitchen cabinet layout.......or might just export the bathroom elevations to Photo Shop and throw some color on them...........or I might just take a nap. I'm thinking right now the nap is far out distancing the other options.

Eztia..... you need to download SketchUp and you can design and build models of your ideas, which also will help with how you build them for real.......... a couple of hours on the tutorial and you'll be modeling like a pro.

Folks, ain't nothing wrong with growing old.....any damn fool can be young, it don't take exceptional skills to accomplish it. Considering the only alternative to growing old.........I'll take growing old.... but I have to admit the falling apart with that process just plain sucks.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    STK, a $10,000 shot? What on earth for? And why does it cost so much? What is SketchUp?
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    11 years ago
    bobbi.....I battle with a condition called Acromegaly. It's the result of a tumor that induces the pituitary gland to produce an over abundance of human growth hormone. In children it results in giantism (think Andre the Giant pro wrestler ). In adults it attacks the soft tissues (i.e enlargement of the internal organs, thickening of the arterial walls)...... there is no cure, only control of the HGH effects and the shot is for that purpose. It keeps the HGH from attaching to the other cells or metabolic processes. thus causing any further damage. It's called Somatulin Depot and it's abut the consistences of a liquid plastic.......think rubber glue, so the needle is about 1.75" long and a 12 g size...... I call it the harpoon.....the EOB says it's right at $10K per month, so I'm guessing the Insurance pays about a third of that and the rest is written off..... at least I hope so, cause I've been on this med or the Sandostatine since 2000 along with all the other replacement or supplements and since 2000 going by the EOB's, I'm well over $1M just for the meds alone..........that doesn't count 2 surgeries to try and remove as much of the tumor as possible and the Gamma Knife procedure to kill any remaining cells along with a good portion of the pituitary gland. Which screws up the rest of the endocrine system because basically the pituitary gland is the traffic cop and controller of the entire system.

I'm betting our insurance company just wishes I would die off or just go away.............. the odds are in their favor on the former resolution, as the chances of me collecting my SS retirement checks are not in my favor..........but, such is life. There are speed bumps along life's highway and this is one of them. Pain and heartaches aren't options in life.........misery is a choice we make.

The effects of the condition is debilitating muscle pain and fatigue, joint and bone pain, depression, constant battle with blood pressure, and dimensional cognitive issues. Since my endocrine system is virtually non-function other than my replacement and supplement meds, things like stress, exertion, a cold or any infection can put me into an unbalanced state and then we have to start playing with the dosages. I never know how the day will turn out.....I can wake up feeling good and in 2 hours be confined to the couch or back in bed..........or I may not even be able to get out of bed due to the muscle pain and fatigue and in 2 hours with some rest be able to move about the house for a spell...... I tire rapidly and easily, so I have to plan accordingly. No projects that take hours to complete or that have to put done non-stop........I have to account for periods of rest and the pain levels and the loss of coordination. There are certain thing I don't dare attempt without the wife being home and present........climbing ladders, working on the roof, even some power tools without an honest assessment of my current abilities at any given time.

As to the SketchUp question........it's a free 3D modeling application you can get online (just Google sketchup). It's fun as heck to play with and quite useful. I use it on just about everything to study massing, shadow lines, color, materials and just about every design issue. You should check it out.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Holy moley, STK! That is horrible, I'm so sorry for you. When did you learn you had this condition? You must have felt devastated. You make me feel bad for complaining about my 24/7 sinus headache, the headache sounds like a dream compared to what you're going thru. I don't know how you function let alone have the great sense of humor you have. That shot sounds painful, I can only imagine how it feels. I will pray that you have more good days than bad and that they find a cure for this.

Thanks for the info on SketchUp!
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    11 years ago
    ASV... that is a beautiful photo.... do you mind if I borrow it for a painting resource?

And I didn't know that a baby Puffin was called a Puffling.......but it sounds logical. I've done a couple of paintings with Puffins in them or as the subject and they are fun to work on. Now that you've got me thinking about them.........I see another new painting in the works. Something with rock cliffs, a mommy Puffin and some Pufflings......thanks.

I hear what you're saying about savoring life........back in 2000 when I was diagnosed with this condition it was to say a life altering event. Suddenly the 50-60 hour work weeks weren't just that important.........believe me, my priorities were turned up side down for sure.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Ok, I'll bite, what is a Puffin?
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    11 years ago
    Bobbie, I was diagnosed with this beast in March of 2000........ devastated isn't the word, heck I didn't even know what it was or what the extents were at that time. I think I was more relieved that there was a cause of everything I had been going though leading up to that and that I just wasn't going crazy.

It is what it is.......it's rather rare. About 3 in 100,000 patients with this type of tumor end up with Acromegaly..... there is still alot that the medical profession doesn't know about this condition. As my primary Endo told me at the time of diagnosis........"there is way more that we don't know about this condition than what we do know...." it's listed as a Rare Debilitating condition by the Government, but I'm having to fight what seems to be an unending process with SS for my disability claim. Go figure.....to bad I can't get some Doctor to claim I am ADHD and don't behave in school.........then I could get SSI almost over night.

I just take each day as they come........good or bad and deal with it accordingly. The hard part is that outwardly I appear to be fine........it's all internal, other than the physical fatigue issues when I have to walk or something and that's difficult for family to comprehend why I'm exhausted or can't do something due to the pain and such...............especially when the fatigue comes and goes. Give me a chair or couch and I can almost guarantee that within 10 minutes after sitting down, I can be asleep.....and at night.........9:30 or 10:00 and I'm out like a light till sunrise.

There are worse things in life.........I only have to make a trip down to St. Judes hospital for children and see the real fighters and heroes when it comes to tragedy.........the day I had my first surgery, there were two other patients scheduled for the same procedure for the same reason.......a 9 month old baby and an 18 month old baby........heck, I was able to struggle through working another 9 years after I was diagnosed........most patients when they are diagnosed are so far along that they are already disabled and prevented from working.........

There are days when it gets to be too much and I just keep reminding myself that even in the darkest of storms.........the sun is always shining above the clouds and sooner or later will burn through. We just have to wait for the weather to change.

I think I'm gonna go take a nap now..........that's how I rolls ladies.........cocka doodle doooooooo.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Hi Everyone...How is everyone today? I've been getting very strange pains for the last two days...I can feel the baby move alot, but every time I turn my body I feel so much pain. I have had 3 children and didn't feel this before. Praying all is well...we don't have family out west, so it's me all alone with the kids today. Thankfully today is my daughter's day off school. On the other hand we have our interior carpet, tile, etc selections appointment today. I am very excited...hopefully I can walk to car...yesterday I could drive no problem, but getting out of the car was another story!
  • User
    11 years ago
    S. Thomas Kutch - So sorry to hear what you are going through. I'm sure that it can be frustrating feeling like this and outwardly looking just fine. It's amazing how the human mind works. If we don't see it, we don't understand it. I pray that you feel better soon. Get as much rest as you need and take care of you before anything else.
  • elcieg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    STK, people do not realize how important a healthy endocrine system is. It controls every function of our body. When something goes wrong, often it can be easily controlled with meds…for instance an under active thyroid. But, when a whopper hits, it is nasty. 5 years ago I was diagnosed (after a 10 month search) with a pheochromocytoma. That is a tumor on the adrenal gland, 2 in a million with 1 found at autopsy. Let it be said that all the docs who were not able to diagnose it simply attributed my symptoms to a mental breakdown.

So, even though my disease had different symptoms, I truly sympathize with you.

And boys and girls, if you ever are faced with not feeling well, but there is no diagnosis, in addition to all the other tests you receive, demand a 24 hr urine collection. If it weren't for that test which identified my illness, I would have had a fatal stroke.

So. STK, fight the good fight. Take your meds and watch what you eat. Have you asked if any particular foods exacerbate your condition? For me it was red wine and chocolate and a few others. One piece of chocolate resulted in a seizure.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    STK, I admire your courage and your positive outlook. Begin that beautiful painting of craggy cliffs and pufflings. God bless!
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Just for you olldbob, an adorable puffin.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    Wow STK - please look after yourself - that is quite a burden and I admire your fortitude and your attitude. I am fascinated about the endincrinology part. Since Silent Spring by Rachel Carson I have always followed and watched with fear and wonder how the chemical industry is brewing up concoctions that at one end can save our lives but at the end may be killing us drip by drip.

Princess_q - if you have been through pregnancies before and this doesn't feel right - PLEASE phone a doctor. I don't want to be alarmist but sometimes it is better to check and find out it is nothing than not to check and find out it is something... Just like Judyg - they found the test that gave her a diagnosis.

As for bobbi - the picture above is a puffin (not a puffling) - interestingly enough when they are not mating - they go plain brown and their beaks fall off!!! I am feeling a lot like them these days!!!
  • elcieg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    pq, get thee to a doctor right now. Don't make roo get on a plane and drag you.

I bet mp and J were up all night with Dali.
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    11 years ago
    ASV.... surely you're talking about the turning brown or your beak falling off.......
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Is this whole puffin thing a joke on me? I'm going to Google this, be warned.......
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    Bobbi!!! No joke - but I feel the turning brown and stuff not being where it used to be is very much a reality

BTW STK - of course you can use my pictures - I can send you loads more if you wish. I never tire of that view.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Uncle! I Googled 'puffin' and it is real. How could I live this long and never hear of it????
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Ain't being OLLD grand! STK....with you man. I'm in recovery...but can slip over into a condition called Chronic Graft Vs. Host Disease with just one cold...or a sunburn. Then life gets kinda ugly....we won't go there. Onward and upward! We'll wobble our way there! Hey ASV! Congrats on being the number one commenter! Have you heard fromthe Irish job yet...thought you knocked that one out of the park!
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    please phone the doc pQ!!! sometimes the cord gets tangled and feels like a pulling sensation/pain. trust me, i know from experience. just go get an ultrasound asap!

and no judyg, i was not up all night with dali or J! lol but we had another barking visitor. long story. let me just say these 2 words.... ALBINO PEKINGESE! omg

i just went by the house and Dali was passed out on the couch with her little tongue out a smidge! talk about a dollbaby!

bob, i can't believe you've never heard of a puffin. ive heard of them and seen pics, but I am with ASV....I have become the puffin while not mating! oh my goodness.....I did not know that about them....how bizarre that their beaks fall off!
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    Hi Dave - as your philosophy shows, take it one day at a time and cherish and appreciate what we have 'cos we never know what is round the corner tomorrow.

Thanks for the thanks, but I am sure it is short-lived. I do enjoy flexing my imagination but as you say, and you are sooooooo patient, after a while it can get very same-y. I am sure you are tenacious... I will fizzle out or become less present!

Irish job no, but I was intrigued that he wanted a luxury target market and then considering painting his ceilings. I am in exactly the same boat with our project up in the mountains. But everyone who is anyone (and the market is super-rich Russians and Chinese) wants only the best... so it is restored wood (or wood that has been put through an aging process) and it is nothing like our 1980s pine ceilings.

I have decided to work with it a) because I am fed up with the taupe trend - thank you Ms Kelly Hoppen and b) I feel it is ecological not to tear down everything just because it isn't fashionable today. But it is a challenge!
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    and STK....you may be napping right now, but I'll talk to you anyway. that's some pretty heavy stuff. wow. i cannot imagine. you're a trooper!
    i also would love to see some of your artwork. :)
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Well! Aren't we a quiet bunch today! I just made some Reese's Peanut Butter cookies, anybody hungry?
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    and you say you hate to cook! bob, you cook a whole lot more than me....maybe that's why I still love it, eh? :)
    i've been really busy today...not much computer time. will be leaving for home soon...yippee! and I'm off tamale. And yes, I will be snuggling up with Dali and Fooey as much as possible! And I think Boo Mappin is coming over to meet Dali and drag poor Fooey around all day! ha!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Baking isn't cooking!!! I just wish I could eat half of what I bake! Sounds like you have a great day planned for tomorrow. MP, what's the time difference between us? Two hours? You have no projects in the works right now?
  • elcieg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    mp, bobbi, anytime you turn on the stove it is cooking.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    That's a good one judy!!!
  • busylady1
    11 years ago
    Hi Bobbi, And I made a lemon sponge cake. We could have a tea party!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Oh! A tea party! I love Alice in Wonderland, it's my favorite cartoon! Or movie, whatever. We must invite Johnny Depp!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Busylady, have you ever made a tres leches cake? It starts with a sponge cake, so I was just wondering.
  • elcieg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have, bobbi, believe or not. Got the recipe from a chef who came from Mexico. YUMMY!

This is my cheat recipe I found on line using cake mix. Not bad at all.
    1 (18 ounce) package white cake mix
    1 1/2 cups flour
    5 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    2/3 cup cooking oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup milk
    Filling
    1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
    1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
    1/2 pint whipping cream or 1/2 pint heavy cream
    Frosting
    1/2 pint whipping cream or 1/2 pint heavy cream
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 13 x 9" cake pan with cooking spray (Pam).
    Mix cake ingredients together and pour into prepared cake pan.
    Bake for 45-50 minutes until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
    Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
    While the cake is baking, mix filling ingredients together and refrigerate.
    For frosting, whip cream until soft peaks form; blend in sugar gradually and add vanilla extract.
    When cake is done, allow to cool; then fill with milk filling.
    You can poke holes in the cake or use a flavor injector.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    That's it! So incredibly yummy and diabetic un-friendly!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    I've invited Houzzer handyman to join us, when she does let's give her a great OLLD welcome, ok? Thanks!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Dave! Can you build things with wood? I have this great idea, we could colaborate but I don't find an email address in your profile!
  • elcieg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I mentioned Art and I were going Italian tonight. We did and the food is extraordinary.
    We share a salad which you can make at home. Baby arugula and shaved fennel tossed with fresh lemon juice and a good olive oil. Perfect as is, but then we get the antipasto, too. Slices of the best Italian cold cuts, roasted onions and peppers, sliced Asiago cheese, artichokes, and italian olives. We top the arugula with it. Delicious. With warm Italian bread, a great Sunday night supper. Tom makes his own bread and pasta. All this info is for when you all come to see me.
    http://www.fazio.net/
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Did I mention we're having leftovers? You brat! Sounds too good to eat! What was your entree'?
  • elcieg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    BOLOGNESE AND CALAMARI IN RED SAUCE. EAT YOUR HEART OUT.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Brat!
  • elcieg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    bobbi, you and R come to the Cape to visit. I will have you fat and sleeping in no time.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Deal! Will you rub my feet? Between the toes? hehehehe
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Bobbi, stay away from the cookies! davidironwood@yahoo.com. I hope to get cleared for woodworking tomorrow at Stanford...I have the prelim OK..just going to confirm as the platelets dropped a lot.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Good whatever all, probably missed most of you by now. Was going to say I woke up feeling crap this morning (o/d on paint fumes I think) but reading Kutchie's story was an instant cure. I'm never going to whinge again. I'm findingly lately almost every week I hear of an illness/disease/condition that I have never heard of before, I wonder where I have been all my life. Yes, yes, yes, I do understand how unfeeling and lacking in understanding people can be when they can't actually 'see' a condition. When I had my breakdown I felt like breaking my leg too, it would have got far more of the kind of empathy I needed than constantly being told to get over things. Kutchie, my thoughts will aways be with you, I just hope medical science can do something for you and soon. I can't believe your health insurance held up your bp and thyroid meds for 2 weeks, my doctor would have freaked, the thyroid especially would have had you falling in a heap and both meds are dangerous if not weaned slowly. Please post some photos of your artwork, I would love to see them.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Judy, that Spring Mint has come up an aqua/blue on my screen. Looks pretty much the same as I did my lounge room and it is a perfect colour for a west room.

Bobbi, try aqua with your coral, the turquoise could be too heavy. Are you thinking of changing your tiles? I certainly recommend the white, I'm still loving mine, even though there is a bit more cleaning, it is easy to do and I love doing it because everything just shines.

Bobbi, you aren't the only misfit either - I had never heard of a Puffin - maybe because we don't have them here, although I'm pretty aware of birds in general. How cute are they!!!!!

Painter just finished for the week and I checked out the kids' room - boy is it GREEN!! And I was worried it was going to be too pale. Looks great with the linen though, I am so happy with it, and I think it will be one fun room. It might even photo for me.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Princess - I can't believe after 3 babies you haven't done anything about this. I do hope by now you have contacted your doctor at least. Call the paramedics - anyone, GET IT CHECKED OUT!!!!!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Bobbi, I have come across handymam a few times and she sounds nice, hope she does join us.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Morning roo! How's your painter doing, has he painted the entire house now? It must be so great to sit back and just watch for a change. No, not changing the tiles in the bathroom and they're beige like everything else was when we moved in. Just wanting to change the color scheme for the spring/summer, something lighter and fresher. Glad you're happy with the green, post some pics!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Morning Bobbi, painter doing well. Will be back Monday and hopefully will be finished. I just love walking into the bedroom wing, it looks sooooo amazing and so clean and fresh. With the soft yellow hallway, and BH's bedroom slightly deeper and the other 3 bedrooms in green and all the woodwork, ceilings and cornice so super white, I can just stand and look at it. It is almost like looking at someone else's house and wishing I could have it .................. oh hang on it is really mine!!!! Even better I know it will look great in winter too, the freshness will stay but it won't be cold. Can't wait to get the carpet down, the white in that will lift it even more. I will see how photos go, but might have to wait to get things in for the colours to photo.

How deep a beige are your tiles? That might affect the shades of colours you use. I'm wondering how lime green and navy would go, not "pretty" for summer but striking.

We are supposed to be getting a really bad storm tomorrow, a 1 in 20 year one, the breeze seems to be picking up already. We are forecast to have one of the highest rainfalls in our area and the winds could reach 100kph. It is coming in from the ocean so has picked up big seas already, up on the Gold Coast they don't have any beaches left, they have all been eroded and life guard towers are gone. Interesting day ahead.

I hope to start a big clean where ever I can, not sure if the painter has actually totally finished any bedroom but BH might know and we can start scrubbing up the floors ready for the carpet. Not sure what else we will be able to do, the weather will play a big part. I may be able to refinish the doors, ready to go, but don't have a lot of room to work anymore.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    I'll open 2/22