Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gurpinder_basra

Living room layout/furniture help please.

G B
8 years ago
Hello everyone

Comments (17)

• G B
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Not sure why my written part did not post. Sorry.

--------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone
  • G B
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    My living room is currently without chairs and only has a coffee table and sofa. We'd like to add two chairs to the room.

We found chairs we like. The issue is that I feel they may be too big. We feel this way because I was able to move chairs from our family room into the living room so that I could get a feel for the size.

1. Are the chairs too big?

2. Does the room layout feel right?

I'm not fixated on getting two chairs, so please make suggestions otherwise. I'm also open to rearranging the layout. The only pieces that are currently in the living room are the brown sofa and coffee table.

The chairs we like are H 35 X W 32 X L 33. The chairs I used to get a feel for layout are H 32 x W 33 x L 32.
  • leelee
    8 years ago

Consider tightening up the mirror collection over the mantel. Bringing them slightly closer together.

• leelee
    8 years ago

I like the chairs you picked. Pull them in more toward the fireplace instead of pushing them back in the corners. Like this...

• leelee
    8 years ago

You could also use the two chairs facing each other with the sofa where it is now.

• leelee
    8 years ago

Would you consider getting another coffee table? Maybe round with a glass top to lighten up the room?

• G B
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks LeeLee.

I'll try pushing the chairs closer together in front of the fireplace.

I'm also open to different coffee tables too. Thanks for ideas.
  • G B
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Just tried your suggestion. Already like it better!
  • altadavey
    8 years ago
    I assume the main pic is of the chairs you are thinking of buying? The size is fine; I agree with a previous poster that they need to be pulled in closer to the coffee table to create a cozy seating area. Later you can add a sofa table and lighting, and maybe a floor lamp with one chair and a small table/lamp with the other. One other purchase I'd suggest first is a picture with a pop of color for the mantle, and using a few of the mirrors with it in an arrangement; hang the others vertically on the wall to the left of the sofa. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Jeff Rice, Decor Designs, Inc.
    8 years ago

With two chairs flanking the fireplace, it'd be better if they were the same chair since it creates a more formal, symmetrical look. Using the chairs in the photo (or any mismatched chairs), I'd move one of the chairs (the one that fits best) to the right arm of the sofa creating an "L" shape with the two pieces. Put an end table between them with a table lamp to fill the gap. Leave the other chair angled as pictured to the left of the fireplace to complete the group. Yes, you'll block off one entrance to the seating group which is fine. Put a small side table by the fireplace chair as well. The space will feel more cozy and less formal. Good luck!

• G B
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for suggestions everybody.

The chairs I've shown (red and multicolor) are not the chairs I'm going to use in the living room. They are there to replicate the size of the chairs I'd like to buy (the white one in the first post).
  • G B
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Anyone have any suggestions for window furnishings, rugs, etc?
  • G B
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Anyone have any suggestions for window furnishings, rugs, etc?
  • G B
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here is the room with the chairs now.
  • auntthelma
    7 years ago

they look very nice. Are you thrilled?

• PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    7 years ago
    Do you want a rug? If so, what colors are you wanting to bring into the room. I would place a throw to warm up the leather sofa. A sofa console would be nice and a round coffee table would be better when/if you want.