Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelcdvdsn

Help me figure out what kind of countertop stone this is

davidsoncl
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I saw this at a remnant yard after hours, with mostly other granite surrounding it. I'm not even sure if it's granite, but would like to know what kind of stone/the name of the color if anyone recognizes it. Thank you for any help!

Comments (4)

• davidsoncl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My husband went back to the yard today and it is soapstone. Too bad, as I know that's a really poor countertop option :(

• fredsaid2
    8 years ago
    From what I've read it's a great counter option. Has to be sealed but everything has it's issues. One day I plan to re-do my kitchen in it!
  • davidsoncl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I certainly understand the draw to it because it's gorgeous. When my husband went in to ask about it, they really dissuaded him in using it because of the probability of staining, scratching and its porous qualities. The remnant came from people who used it in their master bath and they have already been back in complaining about toothpaste stains and scratches. We considered it for a wet bar that wouldn't be used too much, but they said simply dragging a wine bottle across it would scratch it. I love the look but I don't think I could deal with the worry or the inevitable scratches.
  • PRO
    Laura Bolen, Sales Associate at OHM International
    8 years ago

Hi, I'd like to comment if you don't mind. I have been in the stone business for 5 years and know quite a bit about soapstone. It's a very unique stone and most people that purchase it either grew up with it or have had it before. It's naturally anti-bacterial. It's primarily made of talc which is why it's a softer stone and tends to scratch. You don't seal this stone like granite or marble, you either apply food grade mineral oil or you apply a Saratoga Wax. Some people have old farm houses and won't apply anything to it allowing it to take on it's own patina over time giving that "old world" look.

Now if you do oil or wax it, when you do scratch it, you can take a very fine grit sandpaper, softly sand the scratch out and reapply the oil or wax but most people just deal with it because they knew the stone was going to do that in the beginning.

Now if you guys want this look but without the headaches of maintenance, there are a couple of granites that look a lot like Soapstone but no maintenance. One of them is Negresco in either a Honed or Leathered finish which is what we carry here at OHM Int'l. The other is called Virginia Mist and is a bit more expensive. I've attached a photo for those that would like to see what it looks like. Hope this all help. If you have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to help you. OHM Int'l has 9 locations going from NJ down to Orlando so if you have one near you, you're welcome to stop by and see in person. Thank you! : D