Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barncatz

Horrible Mistake to use Formica 180fx Calacatta Marble?

barncatz
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Our farmhouse style galley kitchen is small, so any pattern repeat would not be obvious and we don't have a corner matching pattern.

Has anyone used this or seen it installed? If so, did it look....cheap? I've read a zillion articles on marble counters and have't ruled them out but, ...we don't drink red wine, but we live in the country and we're messy!

I'm meh on quartz and I don't like granite. Thanks for any help you can give. I'm "counter-researched out" and would like to reach a decision.

Comments (65)

• Gloria Montgomery
    6 years ago

Another alternative is a Marble or granite look Porcelain slab in a very large format: 60”x 120”. Much harder than granite or marble.

• Stephanie St Pierre
    6 years ago

This is an old post, but we went with the Formica Calacatta Marble and I LOVE it. It looks beautiful. No repeat, no seam, "fancy" edges. It looks phenomenal, is durable, NOT COLD, and was very inexpensive. A friend of mine is remodeling their kitchen and is SHOCKED at herself that she is putting "my" laminate in because she loved mine so much. I don't regret my decision at all. And in a few years, when I want something different, I can do it without the anxiety of the $$$$ being tossed away.

• mark_rachel
    6 years ago

Pics please!!!

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Beautiful Stephanie. Goes to show you that any of the kitchen materials will look great when coordinated well.

barncatz thanked cpartist
  • barncatz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We ended up with granite because DH really doesn't like the look of marble, not stone, not faux, just no. SMH.

Anyway, thanks for posting the photos of your lovely kitchen. Fun for us TKO and helpful to anyone who has the same question I did.

• Kate O'Toole
    6 years ago
    I could not afford stone at the time so I went with Formica 180fx calacutta marble. I think it looks good. not my favorite, but good. people always comment on it and most can't tell its laminate because of the bevelled edge. good luck.
    barncatz thanked Kate O'Toole
  • barncatz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

VERY pretty, Kate. And your backsplash sets it off to perfection.

These photos are reminding me of my renovation dilemma: husband? marble? husband? marble?

• M M
    6 years ago
    Beautiful kitchen, Stephanie! What edge is that? Hubby and I are planning a new build and I’m wanting to go with these countertops and love the look of your edging.
  • Stephanie St. Pierre
    6 years ago

Thank you!!

I believe the edging was the bullnose.

• Cheryl Cannon
    6 years ago

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about laminate, granite, or equartz - BUT I definitely want an undermount sink in both the kitchen and bath. while they acknowledge that it can be done, we're getting push back from contractors about finding someone who does this well. How did you find someone to do this work?

• Stephanie St. Pierre
    6 years ago

Formica can be integrated with Karran undermount sinks and are under warranty. No problems whatsoever. We just worked with our house design guy and he didn’t bat an eye at it. Look up Karran/Formica. I’d think anyone that can do Formica can order with the sink. An undermount sink was also a non-negotiable for me, too!

• abbepearl
    5 years ago

Stephanie.. Appreciate your comments. Can you tell me which finish you got on your 180FX . I have a sample in gloss but I am thinking maybe matte will look more realistic.

• Stephanie St Pierre
    5 years ago

Thanks! We went with the etched finish (not the gloss). We love it!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

I got a call from a builder yesterday asking if I install post formed plastic laminate countertops. I told her not usually, because I can't charge enough. I gave her a number, and sure enough I was right. So she's back to not being able to find anyone.

She found someone; she just didn't want to pay him. It's heating up out there.

• Ginger Ryan
    5 years ago

@barncatz Will you post a picture of your new countertops?

• stayuplate1968
    5 years ago

Stephanie, is the etched finish easy to clean? Does food or dirt get down in the etchings?

• Stephanie St. Pierre
    5 years ago

No, the etches aren’t deep enough that anything would get stuck. It’s very easy to clean.

• nlkgw
    5 years ago
    Stephanie, would you mind telling me what xolor your cabinets are painted?
  • Stephanie St. Pierre
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

nlkgw - Of course! The brand of cabinets is Mid Continent Cabinetry and the color is their "regular" white. Hope that helps!

https://www.midcontinentcabinetry.com/

• Deborah Burstyn
    4 years ago

So glad to be reading this post. Decorator I am working with is horrified at the thought of Formica pretending to be marble. Quick, fetch the smelling salts. But I am no snob and want to do the Formica FX 180 Calacatta. I will not do an undermount sink though. That gives it away.

barncatz thanked Deborah Burstyn
  • Stephanie St. Pierre
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Cool - I think you’ll be pleased with it. I didn’t find your comment about my undermount sink to be kind or necessary; but good luck!

barncatz thanked Stephanie St. Pierre
  • barncatz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Stephanie, your sink is beautiful. I'm not totally sure Deborah was dissing it - things get lost in translation. Because an undermount sink with laminate is not the usual choice, I'm wondering if she meant just the opposite.

Anyway, glad this thread is still floating for people considering this product.

• Deborah Burstyn
    4 years ago

Thank you, barncatz. Wasn't even aware that Stephanie had installed an undermount sink with laminate. I am sure it looks lovely. I thought this was a decor thread with people discussing options for their own homes not some Facebook-ish personal thing. I will continue to research laminate countertops but not on Houzz. I definitely do not want to risk hurting anyone's feelings while trying to discuss and evaluate materials and design.

barncatz thanked Deborah Burstyn
  • PRO
    The Cook's Kitchen
    4 years ago

I like it, and it’s a great option if you can DIY. I DIYed this showroom display from a post form slab. It’s not an inexpensive option at all, as labor has gotten high. Clients can generally do a granite for about the same price, or an inexpensive quartz for a bit more.

Coffee, Tea, and Marble, on a budget! · More Info

Coffee, Tea, and Marble, on a Budget by Aristokraft · More Info

barncatz thanked The Cook's Kitchen
  • Lyndee Lee
    4 years ago

Here it is on quartersawn oak in my basement kitchenette. I bought a 12 foot length for $150 and cut the back riser off. Eventually, I hope to put up a tile backsplash but just haven't gotten there yet.

I don't like the corners on premade counters but I like it for straight lengths. I caught a lot of guff about using this product in my own house when I complain about seeing it in kitchens. I agree but the truth is without corners it looks great. My brother and his wife just installed this in their new kitchen and even with the preformed backsplash it looked fine as the installation was high quality workmanship.

barncatz thanked Lyndee Lee
  • Stephanie St. Pierre
    4 years ago

@Deborah Burstyn Deborah - Sorry for my comment! I have several photographs on this very thread showing my countertops with the under mount sink. I assumed that was what you were referring to. I guess I was being too sensitive. My bad!!! I apologize!!

• barncatz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Boy, Cook's Kitchen and Lyndee Lee, those counters are beautiful! It is definitely a nice option.

• smcgibbo
    4 years ago

@Stephanie St. Pierre Just wanted to ask you about the etchings vs matte finish on the Calcutta marble. Our supplier is suggesting that the matte finish is more durable than etchings, did you get any information regarding this comparison? Would be interested in your opinion/experience.

barncatz thanked smcgibbo
  • Stephanie St. Pierre
    4 years ago

@smcgibbo - When we purchased, the two options were etched and gloss. It looks like the options now are etched and SatinTouch. We were recommended the etched because the gloss was more likely to scratch and be noticeable. I think the etched does a nice job of masking any scratches it imperfections, if there are any (I haven’t noticed any). Hope that helps?!? We honestly have never been sorry we went with this!!

• Jennie Carlson
    3 years ago

Would appreciate some help. I was set on using the laminate Calcutta marble with double rounded edge until builder kindly informed me we would have seams in both corners. So my only option then is standard laminate edge? Also I would love to do the Karran undermount sink but nervous about the seam eventually deteriorating from water there. Anyone have suggestions?

barncatz thanked Jennie Carlson
  • Lyndee Lee
    3 years ago

I have no suggestions for you because I don't like the seams in preformed laminate tops. My partner was surprised when I used laminate in my own house when I won't use it in other properties. The answer is that my space was a straight counter without corners. By the time you pay for custom laminate counters to get control over the seams, you might as well go to solid surface or granite.

barncatz thanked Lyndee Lee
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

"Also I would love to do the Karran undermount sink but nervous about the seam eventually deteriorating from water there."

These sinks have been installed in plastic laminate for decades. If this were an issue, I'm sure I would have heard about it by now.

barncatz thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • indylindy
    3 years ago

@Jennie Carlson I installed the Fx180 Calacatta marble tops with a Karran undermount sink 4 years ago. It has held up beautifully. I used the valencia edge (full wrap ogee). I've just sold the house and am moving next week. I've shopped for granite and quartz this time around but I think I am going to use the FX180 again. The price I was quoted for the quartz that looks like marble was more than the cabinets. Yikes!

barncatz thanked indylindy
  • Stephanie St. Pierre
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My undermount sink has had zero issues/problems in 3 years!!

• Sonia Hanchard
    3 years ago

I had this installed about 3 - almost 4 years ago and I absolutely love it. I have not had any problems with it none whatsoever.

barncatz thanked Sonia Hanchard
  • Brenda Hagel
    2 years ago

I know this is an older thread, but we also installed ours (Fx180 Calacatta marble tops) about 5 years ago. I still love it, and it's held up great!

barncatz thanked Brenda Hagel
  • mostelz
    2 years ago

Brenda did you use the ideal edge to not have a flat seem on the side?

barncatz thanked mostelz
  • Brenda Hagel
    2 years ago

@mostelz yes, it was an ideal edge. I don't recall if it's bullnose or double radius.

• Melissa K
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Brenda Hagel do you mind me asking what the cost of your countertop was? My kitchen looks like a similar size (maybe a bit bigger), and I love the look of the Calacutta Marble but am worried it will be considerably more expensive than a regular Formica laminate. Does anyone know the difference in cost between regular laminate and the 180fx series? Is the 180fx still a high pressure laminate? Thanks for your help. P.S. I am in Canada, so please specify if talking about USD or CAD, thanks!

barncatz thanked Melissa K
  • Brenda Hagel
    2 years ago

@Melissa K I'm sorry, I can't find our paperwork (and this was done a few years ago). It was pricier than the regular, but I can attest it's held up very well.

• womack2014
    2 years ago

@Melissa K I don't know if you still need this. I recently got a quote for both the Fx and regular. approximately 30 linear feet from a local fabricator (US). Countertop fabrication $965 (Fx Pietra grafite) and $685 (regular, white bardiglio). Futura edge and no backsplash. This company charges $650 for install. Hope that helps someone. They also said there is going to be a price increase early January 2022.

barncatz thanked womack2014
  • Melissa K
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone...I went with the FX and I LOVE it!!

barncatz thanked Melissa K
  • Andrea Fontana
    2 years ago

Melissa what was the final cost if you don't mind me asking.

• Lisboa
    last year

Please share pictures! I am trying to decide between Formica, Formica FX and Wilsonart for Calcutta Marble. Thanks!

• Jennie Carlson
    last year

I’ve had my countertops with under mount Karan sink a year now. A few issues with wear on edge of laminate but overall I’m happy with it!

• MaryJane Hatton
    last year
    last modified: last year

I had Formica Calcutta installed in 2015. its gorgeous and EVERYONE thinks its marble.

• Paulette Bennett
    last year

Mary Jane - how does the seam in the corner look? Also, is that fancy edge the same all around to the bar side? And do you have the etched or smooth surface?

• erasistible
    11 months ago

If I want to use this product with an undermount sink, is there anything I need to mention besides the model of the sink? Does it matter which Karran undermount sink I use? Thanks!