Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iwantakitchen

Trying to figure out my appliance for my kitchen reno.

iwantakitchen
11 years ago
What are you favorite or least favorite large appliance purchase??

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    11 years ago
    My favorite is a Bosch dishwasher. The first time I installed one and turned it on I thought it was broken because it was so quiet. Makes amount the same amount of noise as a refirgerator.
  • PRO
    9H Builders
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    This is a tough question. For every person who loves their subzero, their is another who has had problems. And the same can be said for most appliance lines. From my experience I have had good luck with Subzero, Wolf, Viking, Gaggenau, DCS, Miele, . Yes, all high end. I have had bad luck with Electrolux, Smeg and Fisher Paykel. It really is hard to recommend any one company, and for the most part it comes down to aesthetics and personal taste.
  • Cathy DiVello
    11 years ago
    I have had good luck with Maytag washers, GE ranges and Whirlpool refrigerators. I have a Bosch DW, but quite frankly, it is no more quiet than the Kenmore Elite I had previously. I had poor experiences with Maytag and Whirlpool ranges. But do your research and check out Consumer Reports.
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    11 years ago
    Maytag and Whirlpool are the same company now, Kenmore is made by Whirlpool also.
  • rogersm1985
    11 years ago
    I work at a small apartment complex and we try to purchase all GE appliances. The main reason is that most of them are Energy Star which has helped our tenants dramatically with utility costs, and additionally it has been easier to find replacement parts for them when something goes bad. The previous company had installed all Hotpoint and Kenmores before we took over, and a lot of their parts were already phased out by the time they needed replacing. You might want to also see what types of appliances, if any, might help you qualify for a tax credit.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=home.index
  • PRO
    Kayron Brewer, CMKBD / Studio K B
    11 years ago
    My first question back to you would be -"what is your budget for your appliances?"
  • PRO
    Marlene Oliphant Designs LLC
    11 years ago
    Your choices will depend on budget. I have clients with full GE kitchens and those with full Viking and a subzero-Wolf kitchens. All of them are happy with their choices. I do recommend Bosch dishwashers to everyone. If you are a true gourmet cook you will want more fridge storage and a high BTU burner on your range. One thing I do not recommend is the combo microwave-vent hood; they are very inefficient. Ventilation is extremely important. Good luck!
  • iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I guess I should have re-phrased that question. Thank you to all that answered. I am trying to keep my appliances under 20K. However, I want to make sure I get something that has a good track record. I was looking at Jenn-Air since they have a pretty good offer but I don't want all JA appliances. I did like their Built in 36 inch Refrig with a single door. Also liked their Speed Oven.

Marlene, I do like to cook but do not want a large piece of SS in my kitchen..hence I'm looking at Integrated Built in. I want a 36 inch gas range top and I know that I want a venilation hood (after having Thermodor downdraft for the last 12 years..hate DD)

The reviews I'm finding for JA are not that exceptional. Would love to hear what others love.

Thank you so much.
  • PRO
    Kayron Brewer, CMKBD / Studio K B
    11 years ago
    Check out Ventahood for the ventilation hood. I haven't had a client to choose the Jenn Air refrigerator, but I was very impressed when I went through the JA training. Their refrigerator is only supposed to fluctuate +/- 1 degree. I do like Wolf for gas cooking, and many clients have loved their wolf cooktops/ranges. Bosch and Miele are great DWs.
  • iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    How about Speed Ovens? Is the Advantium the best? I really liked the Thermador wall oven with the rotisierri. I have Thermador now and its good, not great.
  • sfolove
    11 years ago
    I'm evauating speed ovens--looking for one appliance to cover microwave/convect/broil. It appears GE Profile and Advantium and Meile speed cook have those features. Any feedback on them?
  • tjml55
    10 years ago
    I would also love feedback on the advantium