Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rotwein9

Dark, Tricky Family room - Translating the Professional Staging

Miramont Manor
8 years ago

Please help. Many thanks already in advance for any insight or ideas.

I need direction pulling together this tricky, dark family room, and translating it into a family friendly but elegant space. We use the room for watching television with teen-aged kids, hanging out together and entertaining. The room is 17x14. I would value direction on creating a "look" with: 1.) window treatments, 2.) artwork (walls?), 3.) fireplace (hate the brick). 4.) flooring (in a year). Toying with an Art Deco Theater direction, but very open to ideas. This room has been a challenge!

My goal is functional elegance. We just put in the large custom ivory leather sectional (and rug). This helped tremendously. But, the balance now feels a bit off, the color or scale? This is our work-in-process photo...Scale of art now seems wrong, also coffee table, perhaps? Love the sectional and rug...

Here is the inspiration photo: a professional photo of the room (below), as staged by interior designer (when we bought house). I like the overall look, but it didn't provide enough seating. The staging addressed major room problems including a.) darkness (custom walnut paneling) and b.) panel/floor clash (orange-gold toned parquet). c.) It has a refined, elegant "look".

I need to sort out 1.) window treatments for TV watching (blackout), coupled with panels etc. to pull together? Apologies for this poor photo due to light exposure. Window and door are approximately same dimensions, and we don't need to use the door often, it can stay closed. 2.) Art for inside some of the panels - as in staged photo? Anyone have an idea of whether 3.) fireplace should change (one in formal living room looks like white carrera). Finally, in a year we'll put in new hardwood - thoughts on color?

Again, many thanks for your ideas and/or feedback. I'm in a bit over my head here.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Miramont Manor
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Did I ruin the room by putting in the sectional? I'm so confused, never had this type of house before...

• PRO
    Miramont Manor
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay, here are a few more pictures...I'm very new at this. Walls behind the sofa

Here is another, more pulled-back angle on the fireplace and windows. Thinking Roman blinds and some kind of light-colored panel. Have never lived in traditional house before...this is new experience!

How can I paint the fireplace bricks cream-colored? Also will paint media stand cream-colored.

• jck910
    8 years ago

Wow, the sectional looks huge. hard to tell from pictures but it looks like TV is too high over FP for comfortable viewing

• S Bailey
    8 years ago

Your coffee table doesn't help. Maybe a longer oval one? Don't want to crowd the furniture, but that one just looks undersized

• flopsycat1
    8 years ago

Maybe take the box off the coffee table and keep one or two decorative items as was done in the staged pic. How many pieces are there in the sectional? If it appears too large, cane one single-seat section be removed? Simple ivory drapes with a liner might work for room darkening. There is a lot going on in the room, so I would avoid patterned fabric.

• mathomson5
    8 years ago

(1) Place the seating closer together, so that you may still be seated and reach your "coffee" on the table. (2) If you want to make the fireplace more formal, tile the brick -- smaller sizes of tile may be easier to fit in an established small space, especially if the wood is no longer precisely vertical. Buy a large paint chip (or make one) before painting the brick - you can change the color, but you will never be able to go back to the brick. (3) Shutter companies can stain to match the paneling for the window - consult them regarding the door -- the two treatments don't have to match, especially if you have other nearby openings (windows/doors) that have the same treatment - shutters/drapes/blinds. I would choose a wooden blind with wood paneling, and if so, you may also wish to add side drapes to ensure all of the light is stopped at the window/door -- for a rod above the door, choose a swing rod that will become perpendicular to the wall when swung away from the door to permit the door to open. if you are replacing the door for energy efficiency purposes, consider a blind inside the two panels of glass. (4) Your plasma appears to be a little higher than would be comfortable -- You may wish to consider raising the sofa, up to a seat height of 19" with different or additional feet -- and/or lowering the plasma -- are their wall mountings that swing down and out? (5) colors of window treatments and floor -- slightly darker on the floor than the stain on the walls, plus shoe mold -- and in the drapes, same/darker/lighter tones in a colorway of your choice -- so as not to detract from the screen, or to reflect ambient light in the room -- Or if you want to complement the white sofas -- a rich taupe -- accents could pick up the colors in the window treatments. Stripes or checks would be nice in an informal rooms. A woven fabric is timeless. Finally, it is easier to choose a stock color in blinds, and a custom color on the floor than the other way around -- so choosing the window treatments first allows consideration of all of the wood tones in the room when choosing the stain for the new floor -- but to be safe, consider making all choices at the same time. You can always change your mind before ordering/installation, but an overall plan will give you peace of mind now.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH