0

Warm weather! - when to start winter sowing?

pegleg48

Hi all,

I'm planning on doing some winter sowing this year (saving up some great juice jugs), but the weather has been so unusually warm here in Toronto that I'm afraid everything will start sprouting prematurely. It's going to be 6c later this week, and no sign of real snow or cold temps in the forecast. I'm sure it's coming, but who knows when.

With that in mind, should I wait until we get a good snowfall before starting? Or just put everything out in mid/late February and see what happens?
Planning on trying whatever I can this year and see what sticks. I'll start a few seedlings indoors too, and see what does better.

• morz8

pegleg, 6C so about 42F? That's cold enough for the moist chill for those seeds that need it, but not warm enough your other types seeds to sprout. I can think of a few seeds that will germinate while temperatures are in the 40's but after many weeks of moist at that temperature - so I think you are safe in beginning your sowing.

I have a lot of days and nights here on the coast in the 40F range, it works just fine. Seeds will begin to germinate when the weather starts to warm up in a couple of months. If I had to count on snow, I'd never have a seedling ;) We had a little snowfall of a few hours on Jan 4, none again since and it was gone by afternoon.

• Linda Ziegler

The seeds that you start outside will be overall healthier than the seeds started inside.Trust me.