Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmessbl

Help! What color to pull from art for powder room?

mmessbl
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Help! I wanted wallpaper but couldn't find a pattern Ioved, with the colors I wanted to pull in. It's been months since the remodel was finished, and hubby and I just want it done.

I saw this art and fell in love with it, and it captured the essence of what I was hoping for with wallpaper. But now I can't figure out what color to paint the walls above the wainscoting.

Thank you!!

Powder Room · More Info

Comments (53)

• S Bailey
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Great room. Great art. But the way it's hung is making me a little crazy. It's not centered over the toilet. It's not centered on the wall. And it doesn't have any companion pieces to justify its placement.

In terms of colors, you have so many great options. Since this is a half bath, why not buy a few towels of several colors so you can switch out with the seasons or as you get the urge. Coral would be lovely. Deep forest green. Burgundy maybe (can't tell from the picture) or Deep brick red.

• mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you malia! The current 'color' is actually unfinished drywall, lol! I know the photos are too small for that to read. But I kind of like it all white, it makes the art pop - hubby isn't as much a fan, though. And I do worry it's a bit too boring.

• Amber S
    8 years ago
    Ooh I love your room!! Maybe something bright and warm?
  • mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah, I had another one that went with it hanging to the right and in theory it was cool, but in reality it just didn't read as well as just one. They were too big and the room too small.

• mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, Amber that was fast! And really helpful to actually see it!!

• Amber S
    8 years ago
    You bet - there's a app I used called paint tester. It's my new favorite thing, and it was free. :)
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago

A soft coral will be lovely. It will enhance everyone's complexion too. Remember a powder room can be bold, so go bold. It's also only the upper part of the room too. The ceiling could use a very pale blue. Think of a metallic copper color for the walls. You have done such a beautiful job on this powder room. Add a basket for hand towels in jeweled colors.

• mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words. If you could have seen this room before - powder blue counter, sink, toilet and tile, with oak cabinets running the length of the left wall, wall-to-wall mirror above with a giant bulb hollywood fixture, and stark white walls.

I centered the art on the wall. I don't love it, not sure why. But I get that something wasn't right before either. Thoughts on that are welcome.

Sandra, I Iike your idea. Ideally I wanted to go bold in this room, too. I love red and wanted to play that up here, with a wallpaper that had strong hints of it. Coral makes a lot of sense. But I just don't love coral... I want it to saturate itself be red, lol! However, with a pale blue ceiling it would bring in some of the whimsy and artsy I am craving. You've got me thinking...

Another thought is to go bold on the ceiling. Anyone have thoughts on that?

• Amber S
    8 years ago
    Ooh pale blue ceiling with white walls would look really cool - I like that idea. Reddish colors on ceiling would maybe pull the ceiling down too much and compromise the feel of the space.
  • mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Art centered - posted before but didn't show up!

Powder Room · More Info

• mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hmmmm, okay so what if I pulled out the very faint yellow that's in there (will post a closeup) for the walls, and a pale blue for the ceiling? And if yes, oh man, what kind of pale blue would work with this?

Powder Room · More Info

• Amber S
    8 years ago
    Yeah I don't like the art centered :)
    So blue + yellow looks like a nursery, but blue + white is cool. Baby blue and red or coral are a great combo.
  • qam999
    8 years ago

Center that art on its wall. Beautiful piece, great choice for this small room!

I wouldn't use coral for wall color.....using a prominent color from art as the wall color can overly-emphasize that color in the art. Instead, I'd recommend a soft gray. Or just staying white works fine too.

• anthip
    8 years ago

I would go for the dark grey of the leaves. I also like it centred. I think the problem is that the art seems a little high because of the wainscoating.

• classysass
    8 years ago
    I'm not into the blue ceiling, although I've had (do have in my LR and DR red ceilings) gold in a small area. I don't see where the blue will be coming from. There is no blue in your art. The only way you're going to fix that art is to have it re-framed. You'll need to measure from the center of the toilet to the right wall. Allow a couple of inches for comfort and you'll need to center the picture over the toilet. I'm sure a framer can cut the frame but you'll need a new mat. I think that will make a big difference and worth the money and effort. We get people a little upset when we mention stuff that posters don't ask about but I'll try to be diplomatic. The toilet cleaner container is one of the nicest I've ever seen but I think they should be tucked away from view. Husband doesn't get that about me. I put it away, next day it's out again. Your bathroom is very nice. Love the beadboard.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    I think you should paint this room a mid tone taupe with a slight green cast to it. Do the ceiling a couple shades lighter.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    BTW; very lovely room! Congrats!
  • PRO
    Terrence Howell Home Staging and Art
    8 years ago

I agree with qam999, center the piece, you already have to many colors going on in the painting. If you must paint the wall, lets stay at a antique white. That small room would look to busy with another color walls.

• partim
    8 years ago

I'd go with orange, coral or red. Here's my powder room. You can just see a bit of the art in the mirror. It's this Paul Klee. I love it.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Now that I see the pic close up choose a grey tone from the leaves in the picture. Do not paint the room coral. Use a lighter version , not the darkest. You want to enhance this picture not fight it. If that color looks that nice in the painting next to that flower , think how nice it will look on your wall!
  • mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone for your continued advice and ideas!

classyass, there is no way to center the art over the toilet. If you look at the third picture I posted at the beginning, you will see that the toilet is right up against the right wall. The art itself (without the matte or frame) is wider than the toilet).

Amber, it's been so helpful to see some of these ideas played out.

Red was my original desire for this room, but I'm glad some of you have confirmed it would compete with this art rather than enhance it. A bold ceiling seemed fun but I agree it would draw it down too much.

Lynn, you might be right on with the light grey pulled from the leaves - I want the red and red tones in this art to stand out and I think that's the color that would best do that.

Terrence, that's my concern that it would get too busy. It's just drywall now, so yes, I must paint the room something. :-) For me, this room is walking a fine line between being too plain and getting too busy fast. Hence, my post!

Now that I've centered the art on the wall (roughly, it's not perfect) I can see that either the light grey or a soft white for the walls and adding back in that second coordinating piece on the other wall (also centered) will complete the room.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    I so do love this piece of artwork! A companion piece centered on the other wall sounds like a great idea. The large dark piece of furniture in the corner seems to be throwing this room off kilter , maybe something lighter and not so tall.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Is this an original piece of artwork? Are there others to go with it?
  • mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sadly, no it is not original. However this one was so well done that it doesn't bother me. It does have companion pieces - here they are. Which one would you choose to go with it for the other wall?

Powder Room · More Info

Powder Room · More Info

• mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And here is a photo of when I had two together, positioned to the corner.

Powder Room · More Info

• mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

PS - I hear you on the jelly cabinet in the corner. Looking at the photos last night, it was throwing me off too. In person I think it looks better, but I will keep an open mind to alternatives.

• Elizabeth Z
    8 years ago

Honestly, I like the pic you posted with your original question the best. You selected my favorite art piece of all of the options. I think adding another one would look too matchy-matchy. I would paint the wall SW Accessible Beige (a nice light greige) or a creamy white, whichever you prefer and goes best with the bottom of the wall. Then use deep red or coral hand towels. Eventually, you might find a couple of small pics to put on another wall if you want to do so or a little wreath, etc. If you have a place to put a plant, you could use a deep red/coral pot or a white pot with flowers in red/coral. Great job on the room! You're almost there!

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Oh gosh, you misunderstood! I didn't mind if it wasn't original, just thought if it was the artist could do another in a different size is all! They really are so pretty:) I think you should paint first then center the painting, it should look fine!
  • mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ahhh, gotcha lyn!

Elizabeth, I will check out that color! Do you mean that you even like the position of the art, not centered? I like your suggestion of the red/coral hand towel and potted plant to pull it together.

I was hoping I might find some smaller, complimentary wallhangings but I am hoping to get the foundation right first and go from there. Ideally, I would love to find two square pieces to hang to the left of the art that play off the larger piece. Then that positioning makes more sense, and it would give the room the final polish without overwhelming it. That was my original thought, anyway.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Hard to tell from a screen! Just pick a grey that is closest to the one in your picture. Love the towel idea though!
  • mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh! Lol, I used Accessible Beige in my bedroom. I knew that sounded familiar, and I love that color. Well, it will be easy to put a swatch of that up on the wall. :-)

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Or just take the pic to your bedroom!
  • Elizabeth Z
    8 years ago

Actually, sorry, I looked again and I like it centered on the wall (the pic you posted that said "art centered - posted before but didn't show up!") You have great taste! I love your choices!

• mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello again! You all were so helpful in getting me past my analysis paralysis with color - thank you! I put up a couple of swatches (including SW's Accessible Beige) but in the end I went for the bold choice and pulled the orange-red (in matte finish). This color always makes me very happy, and in person it has a nice effect.

Without further ado, here are the results (and a pic of the muted color options):

Powder Room · More Info

Powder Room · More Info

Powder Room · More Info

Powder Room · More Info

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Very nice!
    mmessbl thanked lynartist
  • Elizabeth Z
    8 years ago

You made a fantastic choice! Love it! May I ask the name of the color?

mmessbl thanked Elizabeth Z
  • Amber S
    8 years ago
    Love the color!!
    mmessbl thanked Amber S
  • mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much!

Elizabeth, the color is Ben Moore's Salsa Dancing, AF-280.

• Elizabeth Z
    8 years ago

Thank you for the info, mmessbl. You took a chance and it paid off!

mmessbl thanked Elizabeth Z
  • SoCal Designer
    8 years ago

Wow, it's gorgeous! Great choice

mmessbl thanked SoCal Designer
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Looks like you nailed it! Wish the picture wasn't so honkin' big though. Would those colors work in an adjacent space where the size would be more appropriate? The red PR will be a hit with or without the picture, and seeing the picture elsewhere could prepare people for what to expect in your PR.

• mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

sandra, you called it! :-) When I hear coral, I always think of the pale version which throws me. Do you think I should still paint the ceiling a pale blue, or some other pale color? I love the artsy-ness and whimsy of that. Or should I leave well-enough alone?

Great point about the subject of the art being off center. I didn't think about that at all, but now that you've brought it to my attention I see how it played into things. I originally purchased a coordinating piece to hang directly to the right. I was thinking in terms of an interesting corner. But it was too much.

• eveuchan
    8 years ago
    Love, love, love the color you chose! I'm just wondering if the art would look better turned clockwise one turn.
    mmessbl thanked eveuchan
  • PRO
    Terrence Howell Home Staging and Art
    8 years ago

Sweet !!!!! Love it, great choice

mmessbl thanked Terrence Howell Home Staging and Art
  • Malia
    8 years ago
    You nailed it! Sophisticated AND fun! (If you decide to paint the ceiling blue, select a white with blue undertones so it's super pale.)
    mmessbl thanked Malia
  • coffeecrisp
    8 years ago

I wasn't part of this thread while you were deciding, but I just wanted to say I LOVE the new colour! Your wainscoting and moulding really pop. What's the paint colour on the trim?

mmessbl thanked coffeecrisp
  • anthip
    8 years ago

Love it!

• mmessbl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

eveuchan, the wire on back is situated to hang it this way, but I can have hubby hold it the way you suggest to see how it looks. If it's better, I can change the wire.

coffee, I think it's SW's Greek Villa. If I get a chance to check the can, I'll report back. I painted all the trim in my house with it, and I do love it (though I think I love BM's White Dove a titch more :-).

• eveuchan
    8 years ago
    I was just curious what it would look like turned. If you could put a pic on here, we can see what other houzzers think. I may be wrong. Still loving your color choice and art!
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH