brandyn_melton

1st Remodel! Good choices I think?

Brandyn Melton
Hey everyone! starting my first remodel in a few months hopefully. Fingers crossed! I wanted to post my tile and paint choices to see what y'all thought. Going for the "spa retreat" look. With that type of look comes higher end finishes I think. I'm going with oil rubbed bronze fixtures. My shower system will consist of a hand held body wand, square rain can shower head in the ceiling, 2 body sprays on opposite wall from the hand held along with the sliding glass doors with the exposed roller hardware (barn door style). I will also have a contemporary barn door as the door to the bathroom (4 panel frosted glass). All of the tile, shower, in floor heating and vanity has been bought so no changing my mind. Lol. 12" x 24" tile is for the floor, 12" x 12" and glass accent for the shower walls and the stone grey paint is the wall color. All opinions, questions, cheers, jeers, boos, oohs and ahhs are welcome. Hopefully I will be posting some before and after pics soonThank you for your time.

McManaway Interior Design
    That is a very wide range of colors from greys to dark browns. As a designer I would not recommend a color palette that diverse. The color undertones will clash. Try finding an interior designer in your area who will help you source your design material only if that's all you need. A professional eye will give your home a designer look.
    Sophie Wheeler

The typical 40gallon residential water heat can only handle that much output for a couple of minutes. Reevaluate your water supply, as well as the waste associated with that much usage.

The colors clash. Sorry. You need a designer involved.

1st remodel

paint the cabinets a light french country mustard yellow (light). paint window sill white. i would make the walls white too. add valence with mustard and your red. I'd try to keep everything off the counter except some of your pretty dishes and a vase with flowers

I need help choosing a color to paint my open floor plan 1st. floor.

BM gray owl is another popular color and part of the company's 2016 palette, http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/grayowl

1st Remodel! Good choices I think?

I would suggest a much warmer gray for paint color, and much less cool blue tone in that. And the rest is a done deal, as you stated ( ? ) but I'd have chosen one or the other of tiles for both the floors/ shower walls.....and will just advise that a restock fee is less expensive than a rip out. Sorry to say that, but of floor and shower walls, which is your favorite, as unless It's my monitor, I think you may not be thrilled at project end. So sorry! A thought to whether you most prefer the warm or cool tones, ( you've bronze for your fixtures, a very warm vanity top/shower walls?) so I am guessing warm.......and your wall color and floor tile are much, much cooler, and the mix in total is busier than a beautiful bath need be. ......again, sorry!!!

Which 1st floor floor plan would you choose and why?

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the constructive thoughts here. We have older kids and live in the northeast. With many, many tweaks we may end up going with plan #2. Yes, it is choppier than the first plan. However I think for our family it might be better to have less noise in the family room. We would also change this slightly so that the kitchen would be more open to the breakfast room. Point taken in the front entry going straight to th back. I also thought that was very strange until I saw a similar house in person. The reason architects are doing that is because it gives you a ton of light in the entry and is very pretty in person when you see it not on paper. It's true you have to walk through the kitchen to get to the family room - that's one thing I don't like. However- I do like that because of that layout, my kids' mess would be more hidden from people who happend to come to the front door (vs anticipated guests who I would straighten up for). I also greatly appreciate the feedback on the high ceilings. We would do a vaulted, not 2-story ceiling I think. But I agree with all who said it can be tricky to pull off and will now think about that a lot as we go forward. Thanks again to all who commented!
  • apple_pie_order

Not good colors together. I agree you'd benefit from consulting a designer. You may need a smaller tile for the shower floor, too, so the floor can slope properly. Did you have a professional tile contractor estimate how much tile you need? And check the manufacturer's ratings for suitability for floor tile? It is a safety issue.

• tatts

Not only do you need to reevaluate your water heater, but also the size of the pipes.

Have you ever used a rain head? I dislike them. My daily shower isn't about having a spa experience; it's about getting clean and getting on with my life. That probably explains why my whirlpool tub has only been used 3 or 4 times in the 15 years since I bought my house (plus the fact that it takes 15 minutes to fill and uses most of the hot water in the 40-gallon heater).

Everybody installs whirlpool tubs, but nobody used them. The same is true of rooftop decks here in downtown Philly; lots of them, but never used.

• flopsycat1

Uh-oh, Brandyn. You asked for opinions about materials you've already purchased. The good thing about the Internet is that you can learn what people you'll never meet think. The bad thing about the Internet is exactly the same thing.

I hope you love your new bathroom. Please post your finished pics.

• Depo

Since you have already bought everything, paint is the only thing you can change now, unless you can return some of the tile. You need a warm grey for the walls, or even a tan, the stone grey is way too blue for your other choices.

• Brandyn Melton
    Wow! No love for the home team? That's cool. I personally think the colors play well together. Maybe I will fall flat on my face but I'm willing to take that chance. A designer was consulted in the color palette as well. As far as the water issue, my condo complex (80 units) runs on a 3 boiler system and was told by the plumbing contractor that the pipe size would be adequate. As far as the "spa treatment" vs other shower systems, why can't I get clean and feel luxurious at the same time? Thank you for your time and comments!
  • Carolina
    I have a rain shower and a spa tub. Both get used a lot. And I don't dislike your colour scheme either. Hope your project goes well. Good luck!
  • loonlakelaborcamp

I think the tiles, paint, accents, vanity and fixtures in the top three coordinate well. I'm not certain about the glass inset panel in the last photo. Perhaps the others who responded are not seeing the same colors on their monitors. Go for it.

• Brandyn Melton
    I get it. I posted to a design site asking opinions. Good or bad. What I did not do was post for everyone to agree with my choices Rusty Empire, maybe like some people posting here to feed they're over inflated ego? With that being said, I am most definitely open to suggestions and you can't stay oops until the tile is on the wall. It's just money. Maybe they will take it back, maybe they won't. The first paint color was a Behr Cool Ashes. The very first paint color picked out was a Sherwin Williams called Truly Taupe. I know the lighting is horrible but that's with two coats of primer & two coats of Taupe. It came out looking very lavender to me.
  • Brandyn Melton
    Also the ungodly carpet is being ripped up and hopefully being replaced with Hardwoods to match my existing floors. Being that my subfloor is gypcrete brings up a whole different post though.
  • Brandyn Melton
    I really do appreciate everyone's comments. Especially everyone who didn't agree with my color scheme. It made me take a step back and look at the choices I made and maybe they weren't the best. Luckily I have 6 days left to take back any tile. I believe I will stick with the floor tile I already have. The wall tile may very well change. We will see. Who knows, I might end up right back here. I just picked up 3 new paint samples and will be putting them on sheet rock shortly and we can go for round 2. Haha! Thanks again for all the input!
  • Brandyn Melton
    Rusty Empire, I agree with you 100%. I do apologize for my comment. Like I said I have taken a step back and reevaluated my choices and went back to the drawing board. I will be posting the new paint choices in a few minutes and would really appreciate any constructive criticism you might be able send my way. Again I apologize for the earlier comment.
  • Lori

so Brandy if you really are interested in help, here is the first thing I see. The vanity, floor tile, and wall tile - none of them go together. too much going on. It looks like the vanity top is marble or marble look. If so, you need to start there and coordinate with that (I assume the vanity is staying). and if your vanity marble color is gray/white, then you need to move away from the warm tile colors for the floor and walls. Instead, think gray, white - classic lines. Also, probably sticking with a nickel or silver colored knobs/fixtures etc. The ORB is warmer and seems to be more for a warm color scheme. As for the paint color -- the stone gray one -- love it! I also think that your decorative tile "might" work. it's a maybe. you will have to see when all is put together.

But, meanwhile, here is the best advice I can give you. Don't RUSH! a bathroom remodel is a huge expense and one that you will likely have to live with for many, many years to come. Take your time, get good input, pick things you love, and then go for it!

Best of luck -- can't wait to see how it all turns out!

PS: Most of the people who post in answer to these questions are really, really only trying to help. No one wants to burst your bubble, but we have all seen design go wrong, tons of money spent, and then huge disappointment. No one wants that for you.

• Rusty Empire

No problem Brandy. I'll delete the comment. Keep the forum posted on the progress.

• Brandyn Melton
    Thank you for your comment Lori. I did post knowing that some people wouldn't agree with my choices but until you actually hear people tear down your choices that you thought were right on, I guess I just really wasn't ready for that. I do apologize to anyone who I might have offended in my comments. I do know y'all are only trying to help. The vanity is a white Carrera marble top. I'm gonna have to find something that works with the ORB and the classic white Carrera look since I already have a $2000 shower sitting on the floor in my living room. I guess I've been feeling like I'm down to the "zero hour" since I've had this tile and shower staring back at me for the last 2 months. Plus this is the blue ribbon disaster of a bathroom I've been looking at for the last 2 years but yes I definitely want to do my due diligence to make sure I get it right. Thanks!
  • tatts

Okay. Here's the deal. Anything you do is better than what you've been living with for the past 2 years, so go for it! ;-)

As for my comment about the rain head, I just find them annoying. I don't want water running over my head and in my eyes all the time. I want a strong spray, but from the neck down only (unless I'm rinsing my head/face).

• Katbv Vero
    I would just find a softer gray in tile.
  • leemiller
    You may want to check out Maria Killam's blog and buy her ebook on color and undertones. What I see is a very blue grey mixed with yellow / warm undertoned tile. The marble will also be very cool. Spa bathrooms tend to have the same undertones, which makes them feel more calming since different undertones can clash.
  • Brandyn Melton
    Color update! These are the 3 new color choices for my walls. plus the 13" x 13" wall tile will be going back. It was definitely to red or to dark. To something!
    #1 is Terminal Taupe HGSW 2474
    #2 is Anew Gray SW 7030
    #3 is Temperate Taupe SW 6037
    Much cooler tones I believe. I would love to find something that will work with the silver glass accent. I just love the way it looks! Thanks for your patience and sorry about my ignorance of smart design choices. Will be posting pics again soon. Thanks for the Maria Killiam comment. Will definitely be reading more of her stuff before making anymore decisions. Hope everyone has a great week!
  • Katbv Vero
    Much better!
  • Stacey
    I like your new choices. The only tile that's throwing me off is the 12x12 wall tile. I love the other two but the wall tile looks too brown or copper on my pad.
  • T. Z.

I'd be curious about your progress. A lot of us are hear to learn, not pro's just people who want a warm and happy place to call home. Something you can be proud of. Please post pics of your progress. I think your off to a great start!

• happyleg

Hardwood not for bathrooms. I like your other choices.

• sandradclark

With the 2 shower head choices, you're great. If you don't need to shampoo the hair & just want a quick rinsing the hand held will do fine. Just make sure you can make that choice.

I am having a problem knowing which tile is for which surface. I see the vanity with the marble. It is wonderful. Maybe the horizontal small tile is for the backsplash over the sink. You will need a very small tile, perhaps a one inch mosaic for the shower floor. I love the choice you made for the door. Will this be the BR entry door from the bedroom? Are you showing the wood floor as a choice for the bath or is it only there as this is where you are displaying the choices?

• Brandyn Melton
    Definitely no hardwoods in the bathroom. The 12" x 24" tile in the previous pics will be going down on the floor in the bathroom. I have a 12" x 12" sheet of 1" square tiles that will be on the floor of the shower itself. As for the shower system, I can do 1 of the 3 or 2 of the 3 (hand held sprayer, rain can in ceiling, 2 body sprays) at any one time. Never all of 3 at the same time. I'm hoping to put down hardwoods in the rest of my condo to match my existing floors. Problem is that the subfloor is gypcrete which is a whole other story in itself. Here's a blueprint of my condo. 800 sq ft + / -, bathroom is just under 65 sq ft. Haven't decided on the bedroom yet. New carpet or hardwood. Budget depending.
  • Depo
    I'm on an iPad mini, so I can't really expand the pictures, but from what I can see, paint color #1 really goes nicely with your new floor tile.
  • frostedsleet

Hi Brandyn. I'm fairly certain I used the floor tile you chose on my bathroom floor. It has a tinge of subtle sea blue/grey running through it. I continued it onto the shower wall. I love this tile. It was supposed to be 24x12 but I'm fine with larger. My iPad lighting is a bit off (photo is looking yellow but I used SW ACCESSIBLE BEIGE paint and does not look yellow in person. Still I may change paint to SW Sea Salt)...anyway, it certainly looks like your floor tile. I have a narrow master bath with white vanity & grey steel granite counter. Flooring continues to toilet room and large walk in shower w/seamless glass door. Again, I love the floor tile and used in another full bath and my laundry room. Other floors are dark hardwood and looks nice with tile. My shower floor is small square tumbled tile matching trim tiles. Have fun with your project!

• Brandyn Melton
    Frosted sleet, that looks great! I will definitely consider running the tile through the entire shower. Thanks a lot for sharing!
  • Natalie

Hi---

Interesting combo, I think you could work with it. A paint color that relates to the carrara marble, glass doors, and glass tiles will balance well with the warm wood and tile hues. Here are some Benjamin Moore color charts I think you would find helpful. :))

Keep us posted. Good Luck!

• Carolina

If you can return the 12x12 tile and swap it for more of the 12x24 and carry that through on the shower walls, it will look calmer and better. It's funny that frostedsleet mentioned the slight blue/grey tinge running through it, because that's what I saw too, which is why I don't dislike your first choice of cool blue/grey paint.

Think: less is more. Your bathroom isn't huge, so I wouldn't go for too many different materials.

• Brandyn Melton
    Hey! Back to let y'all know I've decided to definitely take the wall tile back. Now I'm planning on just taking the 12" x 24" through the entire shower. Run it on the vertical since the tile on the floor will be running that same direction just on the floor. I believe I want to try and use the silver glass accent with it. Come in maybe 12" - 15" in from each corner on the 5' wall and run that vertically as well. I think that would look a lot cleaner with the just the one tile and the glass accent running vertically would keep your eye moving up and should seem taller I think. Or maybe not so much? Still to busy? I really like the Terminal Taupe with it.
  • Ann

This situation is improving enormously! I like the floor (and now shower tile) very much and I also really like the terminal taupe with it. I wasn't liking the glass accent at all until this picture, where it looks quite nice.

• Natalie

Are you changing the vanity?

• Brandyn Melton
    Natalie, the vanity is staying. Already bought and paid for. Just like my ORB shower system. I do like the glass accent with the tile and how the brown in the accent plays off the dark tone of the ORB but the silver almost metallic quality of the glass plays off the Terminal Taupe as well. I just hope it's not going to seem to busy looking.
  • Brandyn Melton
    Natalie the barn door you have pictured is the style that I'm getting but the one in the pic is a 28" and I'm getting a 36" door. The finish on my vanity and linen cabinet is an expresso type finish I would call it. Very dark. Very much the same tone as the ORB fixtures. The Door will be raw wood when I get it so I can finish it to my liking. I was thinking instead of matching the finish of the vanity and linen cabinet I would just put a couple coats of clear polyurethane on it and let the natural beauty of the wood shine. At the same time I have absolutely nothing else in my bathroom or the rest of the condo with the natural wood look so I might very well be off base in my thinking. Maybe I should go with a little bit of stain on the door. Just to soften it up? This 3 panel door was my first option but found the 4 panel later. I like the smaller glass panels of the 4 panel.
  • sandradclark

Liking the changes you have made in the overall look. You will love it I'm sure. Where does the door go?

• sandradclark

I was typing while you were. I have the answer you gave. Leave the light wood with a poly finish on the vanity.

• mmessbl

Wonderful progression, that looks so much more cohesive. The silver glass accents will now stand out beautifully! I can picture your tile design, and I think it will look very nice.

I do worry that the marble top doesn't coordinate as it has cool tones, and the rest of your choices have warm tones. Doesn't sound like there is anything you can do about that having bought and paid for it already, unless you are willing to try and sell the marble top and source a new one? It should detach easily.

• Brandyn Melton
    Vanity is prefinished in a dark expresso. I'm finishing the linen cabinet that will butt up next to it to match the vanity. I believe you were thinking the vanity is unfinished? The pics of the barn doors in the last comment were just examples of what I had first found.
  • Brandyn Melton
    Here is another little tidbit I will leave with you. Talk about dodging a bullet? The square wall tile that is thankfully going back now had a little surprise for me. I had 7 boxes of that tile for the shower walls. I opened up 1 box and took the first 4 or 5 out to put against my color choices. Never once did I think about opening up any of the other boxes to see how the shades & tones varied. I finally did last night. Damn! Some of the tiles from other boxes were very dark. The back left tile in the pic wasn't the darkest I found. So thank you so very much to everyone that had time slap me around a lil bit on Sunday. Thank you so much!
  • Depo

Brandyn, I love the way you have re-thought things! Your bathroom will truly be beautiful! The glass accent tile is really nice with the floor/wall tile. Running it vertically will really give it a modern look!

• Brandyn Melton
    Since I haven't commented enough yet, lol, A big thank you to frostedsleet for posting her tile pic of the same tile on the floor and in her shower. And thanks leemiller for mentioning Maria Killiam's ebook How to choose paint colours. Downloaded it last night! Very interesting so far and it shows just how blind I seemed to be sometimes.
  • happyleg

I'm loving the look with it all. It will be chic!

• leemiller
    I'm glad you are enjoying her ebook. I hired her for a consult when we painted our home's exterior and am very glad that I did. Her blog also influenced my kitchen choices even though I was using a designer.

Do you have any photos with the tile and other choices and the vanity? Just to throw out another color, I like BM's pale oak with my marble backsplash and hardwood floors. I think it may be a bit cooler than what you've picked.
  • Kris G
    While it sounds like a dream shower... Be aware that much of the country and world for that matter live in water crisis areas- please use flow regulators so none is wasted.
  • happyleg

I hope you got your tile sorted out by now.

• Brandyn Melton
    This is the layout I'm going with in the shower. Now just trying to figure out where I want to put my corner bench and shower niche. I would think I would want them on the same side. Niche right above the bench? I'm thinking on the right side 3' wall. That way I don't have anything breaking up that entire wall of tile. I'm going with frameless sliding doors instead of a hinged just because it's a very tight spot. The hardware will be in ORB. Gonna be starting another thread soon to get some advice on the rest of the flooring. My gypcrete subfloors have thrown a monkey wrench in my plans.
  • happyleg

I love it & details. Make sure to install a vent for moisture.