Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimha32

Oakie dokey..need ideas for a home that has oak cabinets and trim!

M A
8 years ago
I'm moving to a beautiful home in a month, it has traditional honey oak cabinets and trim throughout the house and solid oak doors. It was built in 2000. Is oak out of style? I know it was really expensive, but I don't love it, I was wondering if I could paint the kitchen cabinets or would it look weird. There is a beautiful two way stone fireplace that divides the kitchen from the family room. It too has an oak mantle. I love Joanna Gaines style on "Fixer Upper". I just updated my current home and I have white cabinets and the room is Light Silver Sage, that I love. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments (18)

• Rusty Empire
    8 years ago

You should really upload some photos of the space to go with your question. But no, oak does not paint well at all. (And how does wood go out of style?) The question should be does it suit the house? Send those pictures in.

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

Last week Joanna did a house with wood cabinets and trim (Cedar and oak wood used):

From Fixer Upper:

The idea that oak is dated is a silly HGTV notion. Expensive home surfaces do not get dated. People cannot afford total redo of the style of their home because the property brothers think something is in. I have seen people ruin timeless aspects of their home, like paint a beautiful fireplace, in an attempt to be "in fashion" and then the trend is over and rather than be timeless, it is now "dated".

The oak is appropriate for your home's style. That said, there can be too much of a good thing. Painting the trim only in your house may help you like it more, but trying to change the whole house over to the currant white gray trend will cost a fortune, and when the rend ends, be "dated" anew.

Oak is not a paint grade wood. It can be painted but the texture of the wood shows through so the cabinets will look like oak cabinets that have been painted. Also, wood moves with changes in temp and humidity cracking paint at the joints - so touch up is required. Most painted cabinets are made of MDF or MDF and wood combined which is more stable and makes a better paintable surface.

Many people are very pleased with their painted oak cabinets, but I want you to be aware of the cons so you are not disappointed in the results - especially as you have a factory painted white kitchen presently. If you have high end oak cabinets in your new home, a poor paint job will devalue them. If the oak cabinets are worn and "builder's grade", you could paint them with the possibility of getting new cabinets down the road.

It is also hard to get warm oak to work with the cool grays. Sherwin Williams Sea Salt or other grays with blue or green tones may work.

White trim and oak combined:

Quiet Casual Home: Entryway and Stair · More Info

Beacon St. Residence · More Info

• M A
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @ Rusty Designs thank you for commenting;) I don't move in until the end of the month, so I can't upload a photo yet. It does suit the house and it does look nice, I'm just brainstorming to see how I can make it my own. I guess I should start with paint color and window treatments. I know only certain colors look nice with oak.
  • Rusty Empire
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

They may have limed or bleached the wood to achieve the paler surface seen in the bath vanity - which if done by a pro may be worth considering. But that ain't paint. Oak has a tricky grain to deal with. If you do paint or refinish consider only using only oil based products as they won't raise the grain as much.

• M A
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @jhmarie, thank you so much! yes you are right it is a trend and I don't really think I could bring myself to paint those cabinets. Thank you for the pics, how could I have missed that episode of Fixer Upper? I guess when I move in, I'll focus on paint color first. I can''t wait to move in and post pics to see what you think.
  • grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

I am sitting in my oak kitchen....29 years old. There are white ash floors. We have changed the wall color, removed wallpaper, replaced countertops, gotten new curtains, updated appliances, etc. I still love it. It is not dated.....it is just different from the gray and white kitchens with the white quartz countertops of today.

When I get tired of the current look it is very easy and inexpensive to make changes that are still NOT dated. I think you will be so happy that you did not paint your cabinets.

I wanted to add that 3 days ago I was sitting in the gray/white kitchen in our second home. We did not want to go to the expense of changing it...so I live with it. BUT.....I much prefer my oak kitchen!

• PRO
    Bates Design Associates, LLC
    8 years ago

We frequently repaint these for remodels and get great results! Make sure your painter properly prepares the cabinets by sanding and using a base product to help fill in the grain of the oak and then paint with an oil based paint for the very best finish. It is a huge difference! Good luck on your project!

• Rusty Empire
    8 years ago

VEB has written a humorous manifesto. I abhor waste and this obsession with keeping Au Courant - where would our classic heritage homes be if they all put in new cabinets every 10 years? Good quality is what matters. That's why I'm saying to hell with popularity and refuse to embrace wildly veined stone countertops. IMO they will be the expensive version of shag carpet in a matter of years and just end up looking overdone and dated in short order.

• miacometlady
    8 years ago
    With the right backsplash, hardware, lights and counter- I don't see why you couldn't achieve a fresher look without grabbing a paint brush. How about storing some cabinet doors and have open shelving too? When people want doors, yours will be in basement.
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

ah the tyranny of wood.

cabinets aside, dont force yourself to accept a small choice of colors to go with the wood trim that is throughout your house. if it makes sense to keep the wood in the connected public rooms, so be it, use the sage greens there. for bedrooms you have my full permission to paint the windows and baseboards and paint the rooms whatever color you like.

to be badgered into keeping it (even in a nice way) is no different than to be badgered into painting it.

• PRO
    Armoires Cuisines Action
    8 years ago

Please keep the oak cabinets!! If you feel the look is outdated, change the wall color and the decoration, hang new art to the walls or new window treatment. We agree with previous commenters suggesting to go with white trims: it's classic and will never go out of style. And maybe if the whole kitchen in oak is too much for your taste, you could get new cabinets just for the upper section and get a two-tone twist. Hope this helps

• PRO
    Holly Stryker Homes
    7 years ago

I have Oak cabinets and for me the Oak is a dated look (for now). My painter came in and because we weren't living in the home yet, he was able to "lacquer" the cabinets an off white. Lacquering the cabinets is a much more extensive and smelly process. Yes, when you look closely, you can see the grain, but most folks don't notice. In reality, follow the style that feels right to you. It's your home and you're the one living in it... make yourself happy no matter what everyone says. If it feels good, it's right for you.

• jimoe23
    6 years ago

What color is that on your cabinets? I love it!

• kellip
    5 years ago

I just want to point out that white cabinets aren't anything new. In times past, cabinets were often built with whatever materials were lying around - and painted to make them all match. My great-grandmother's original farmhouse had off white cabinets!

• Yvonne Kinley
    5 years ago

I also live in a house with loads of oak. My oak kitchen goes with the rest of the house. My issue is the grain is raised and greying on some of the doors. Any suggestions on how to refreshen up the cabinets?

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

following>>>

• violetsnapdragon
    5 years ago

We had nice oak cabinets and, over the years, changed out the tile square countertops and the backsplash and the floor, but kept the cabinets (the most expensive component). My husband wasn't nuts about oak, but I had a hard time justifying tearing out perfectly good cabinets. Keep in mind that whatever kitchen you install now, it will, too, be "not in style" ten years down the line. Maybe try living with the cabinets as is for now and if see if they still bug you in a year.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert