Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_basista

Help with floorplan around planned reno of 1800's farmhouse

Brenda Basista
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

this is my family farm house, built in late 1800's. The kitchen and dining room was added to the main part of the home somewhere in early 1900's. We are going to reno and make it our home. I need ideas on how to create a more modern, open floorplan. Any thoughts? Thanks!

(note: sizing/sq ft of the rooms may not be accurate and 2nd floor with bedrooms not shown)

Comments (11)

• Rusty Empire
    8 years ago

If it were me, I would get confirmation wether the wall separating kitchen from dining room is structural. If yes, I would factor in the expense of an engineered beam. It wouldnt have to run the entire length of the wall, but just expand the opening to give the room a more expansive, modern feeling rather than the enclosed spaces you have now. Of course it would have to work with the kitchen layout... but it would make a huge impact. And if there are door openings that could be made into double French doors (instead of a single door) for example the entrance off the porch into LR it would open the room up also. Any chance of interior pics to see what rooms need more light? Etc. How is the enclosed porch being used, if at all?

Brenda Basista thanked Rusty Empire
  • auntthelma
    8 years ago

Agree. What is currently the dining room should become the family room open to the kitchen by way of an awesome island with breakfast bar.

The parlor becomes a den (which can double as a guest room if needed by using a pull out sofa). The living room becomes the dining room.

• auntthelma
    8 years ago

Where is the sun? One of the porches can become a glassed in porch for morning sun.

• Brenda Basista
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So budget is always an issue but not the driving factor here. I want something I'm happy with vs. saving $$ and wishing I had made the changes. The old front porch(now enclosed) is currently a second kitchen. It's actually pretty close to the road, so I'll probably keep it closed in, maybe as an office or sunroom? #Sativa. I would be interested in thoughts around moving the staircase, I was looking at this as well.

• PRO
    Peters Cabinetry
    8 years ago

I saw your post and thought you may enjoy this early 1800's renovation we worked on a couple of years ago. 1805 restoration

• Brenda Basista
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have attached the updated floorplan, I had been working on. It seems others had the same idea - always good to know I'm on the right track. If there are other comments or suggestions, I'm open to new ideas!

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    8 years ago

In order to advise you on possibilities of moving the staircase I would need to know the layout of the second floor. As well as ceiling heights for both floors.

• auntthelma
    8 years ago

nice changes. A nice floorplan.

I don't see a coat closet or landing area for coats, boots, keys etc. Is it under the stairs?

• Brenda Basista
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@auntthelma. Good catch and there isn't one, which I know is a problem. I'm looking for a local designer to help with these little things. I have considered using the area between kitchen and bathroom(almost a hallway) as an area for this - possibly using built-ins for closet, etc. What do you think?

• auntthelma
    8 years ago

actually looks like there is an alcove outside the bathroom that could be a mini mudroom or closet.