suhi_r

Need help with my layout of my kitchen

suhi_r

This is the plan and layout of my current kitchen. I am planning to update the kitchen and I have always wanted to open up the wall between the kitchen and family and have a large island and eliminate the breakfast table. My contractor says the wall can be taken down with addition of a beam and columns.

Can anyone advise on a great layout for the kitchen with this in mind. I thought i could close the door btween the kitchen and living/dining and put the refriegerator there. i also plan to have built in oven/microwave as well as my gasrange.

Please advise. I have always been a silent lurker in ths site and u ladies are so talented and helpful.

Thanks in advance ,

Sue

Kevin Jones Builders LLC

Closing the door to the living room would work, locate the ref. in this space. Removing the wall to the family room is a great idea to open up this space. Would like to see where the columns need to be located. One thing to think about is a flooring change, looks like you have tile now which runs into the hall, bath and entry. Ideally the flooring type and color should match. Especially if the space is opened up.

suhi_r thanked Kevin Jones Builders LLC
  • suhi_r

Thanks Kevin for your comments. I have a real nice flooring tiles that are in good state and so I am not changing the tiles as it would be expensive to change all the way through. My family room is hardwood and I would keep it the same. The opening of the wall will have a beam(unfortunately) running between the 2 rooms (which still phyiscally divide the space) and the columns would be at the end of the rooms at a single run of 16 feet . We will close 3 feet of the wall so that the refrig. would be hidden within the kitchen. Idea is to have a 3 by 8 island 4 feet from the door to the outside off the breakfast area. We might break the 16' span with another column at the beginning of the island if it is might be required as an alternative. Would that work do you think?

• susanalanandwrigley

It seems like if you close the door from your kitchen to your DR/LR, you will have a long walk from kitchen to DR, not really conducive to using it. It seems to me that you should always have direct access from kitchen to DR. If you are eliminating the breakfast area, can you expand cabinets along back walland put fridge there? And maybe put cooktop or sink in island? This looks like a big project, you might want to hire a kitchen designer not just a contractor.

suhi_r thanked susanalanandwrigley