Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinsergei

Adding some spice to my future kitchen?

robinsergei
8 years ago

Hey there! I'm about to move into a beautiful new home in about a month and I just cannot wait. We're going to make it into an eclectic contemporary palace of homey goodness and dinner parties.

I plan on redoing the bathroom, but I don't want to do too much to the kitchen due to budget and avoiding the craziness that is approving co-op renovations.

This is the kitchen:

I like it overall. HUGE compared to what I'm used to. I'm not a huge fan of the beige but I think it'll be too hard/expensive to change that. I think it's the tile backsplash, lighting, and lack of funky accents that's getting to me.

The tile is dated, right? Or am I crazy? I want to replace the backsplash. I think I like these:

Bliss Spa Stone and Glass Linear Mosaic Tile, 4" X 6" Sample · More Info

and

10"x12.63" Calacatta Gold Italian Calcutta Marble Polished Random Strip Tile · More Info

Thoughts? How else can I make the place pop with funky contemporary beauty? Vases of flowers? Any cool kitchen wall art ideas? Thanks! :)

Comments (8)

• auntthelma
    8 years ago

Menu Dropp! Fruit Bowl, Deep Red · More Info

Wood Square Serving Trays With Cut-Out Handles, 2-Piece Set, Red Orange · More Info

Retro Series Pop-Up Hot Dog Toaster in Red · More Info

Raj Salad Servers · More Info

Nest Bowl Size Large · More Info

robinsergei thanked auntthelma
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I love your kitchen and the excitement in your voice about moving into a new home full of happiness and dinner parties! I agree with auntthelma. Your kitchen is great and nothing needs to be done immediately. I love love love that it is not open floor plan ESPECIALLY for parties. I love that I can do some last minute prep (like take my store bought cake out of the plastic and onto a cake tray!) without my guests seeing. I like the lightness of the cabinets because it makes the space nice and airy. I like both of your tile selections but again, no need rush. I would wait for a year let your style develop and shop around a little more, get some quotes/negotiate a little more. I would love to see the rest of your eclectic style throughout your home!

robinsergei thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • Jillian - Interior design student
    8 years ago

I agree with the other commenters about waiting before doing anything major. Add some "spice" as you say with a few accents.

robinsergei thanked Jillian - Interior design student
  • apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. The pencil tile has passed its peak in my area. Live with the current kitchen a year before making major changes.

• robinsergei
    Original Author
    8 years ago

auntthelma, those are gorgeous! And I LOVE red! I was nervous it wouldn't go with neutral, but your comments make me much more comfortable! How cool is that drop bowl!

RugKnots, I really am excited! I've even been dreaming about it. You completely understand! We have an open plan now, and it's so much pressure to make sure all the dishes are done before guests come over! I'll post pictures of the new place! I can track down the pictures from my current apartment's listing if you want :)

tedbixby, ooh, new faucet! That's quick and easy and would make a huge impact! Haha, yes, I definitely want to replace the dishwasher. It leaks now! Good eye! Can't get enough stainless steel. I'll look into replacing those! Especially since I love to cook so much.

Jillian - oh goodness, that's just gorgeous. May have to make an exception with my love affair with red for that aqua beauty. Really ties the colors together, which is what I've been struggling to do.

To all - yeah, you're right, it does make sense to wait before huge renovations. I'll spend some time in there and feel it out.

Thanks! :)

• acm
    8 years ago

Why is there no ventilation over the stove? That's the first thing I'd want to fix...

robinsergei thanked acm
  • kayleesmimi
    8 years ago

Your big tiles on the backsplash seem more on trend to me than the multicolored thin ones you are thinking about. That trend has passed somewhat in my area too. But everything I see and read seems to indicates that large tiles are trendy.