Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
entropy2502

cost of reconfiguring existing 5x6 ft. full bath VS. cost of addition

entropy2502
8 years ago

Help!!! Please?

We are finally renovating our home, which we purchased in 2003 from a real estate "investor-renovator" with zero concept of design or regard for space planning. After 1 years of repairing and replacing the previous owner's "renovation" mistakes our plumbing, electrical, roofing, and structural systems are intact but our budget for anything design related is extremely tight. Therefore, I'm asking for your help with designing a functional master bath in a 5 ft x 6ft space. The alternative would be building a very small addition to accommodate this much-needed full bathroom, but I need to maximize every dollar and lack the vision of everyone else that seems to follow houzz!

By reconfiguring the layout of an existing poorly-laid-out-full-bath, we could gain a bit more square footage in our existing living room and have a tiny 5ftx6ft full bath that uses the existing plumbing line & vent stack.

My husband, however is convinced we need to build a tiny 75sq ft addition to our existing laundry room. We've been told we can tap into laundry room plumbing to add the shower, sink and toilet. This may not bother anyone else but if we build the addition we would alter the footprint of this home for the first time since it was built in 1840, which I'd rather not do.

I know I've probably not provided enough information for you all to offer advice but I'd be grateful for any suggestions you have or provide more information based on questions you ask. I really do appreciate your help, even if you advise me to knock the house down or sell it to someone with the resources to give proper attention to making it a great house like I know it can be.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It was good just to rant a bit about this mess.

M.A. in Richmond

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz