Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkotov

Pics -Design and color of cabinets dilemma? Experts please help - thank you!

Denitza Kotov
11 years ago
I am lost - my floors are golden oak hardwood original for 1952 house.
My first pick was off white dark glazed cabinets with maybe darker stain on the floors later but now looking at the painted cabinets pricing, I probably should stay with some type of wood stain finish ( budget is tight). I have trouble picking the color - my dining table is more rustic dark brown stain and the house is not modern ( transitional ). Which color of cabinets should I go with so they don't fight with the golden color hardwood and dark table and chairs. I don't like really dark kitchens, I want something warmer but which will be in the same color palette and not too red or orange.
I am not a big fan of shaker style – like more sleek door but not too modern - thank you!

Comments (10)

• ld05241
    11 years ago
    our floors are the same color, and our dining room table is similar - a mahogany. The walnut cabinets worked fine with the different woods. Our home is a 1925 bungalow, so we tried to modernize many of the more traditional elements- like going with a wider shaker frame without the center stile and flat front drawers, clean, simple lines and lots of natural light.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you! You answered all my questions :) after posting the picture of your beautiful kitchen.
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    Are those the cabinets you have now, in the photos you showed? If so, they look great (maple?). I don't like the wavy trim around the window, but the cabinets themselves look terrific. Why don't you keep them, and change out the pulls. If I changed anything, it would simply be the countertop. I'd go with a really nice granite, maybe-- but unless I'm not seeing the cabinets as they really are-- I'd keep them and update everything else, maybe.
  • Carolina
    11 years ago
    dkotov: you're welcome. It's not my beautiful kitchen though, I have another beautiful kitchen ;-), but I found this one in the contemporary kitchen photo section here on Houzz. I just browsed until I found one with non-shakerstyle doors, a golden floor and some darker wood. Et voilá.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    yes, those are my current cabinets ( very old and not standard ) - we have two doors that we are closing so 1/3 of the kitchen doesn't have cabinets - we need new ones to add and change the old ones. I am also removing the peninsula since it's too tight and adding a small 3x4 island in the middle.
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    Yes; I can see removing the peninsula. Still, the wood on the cabinets looks really sleek-- very nice. It would be great to be able to find something that complements the remaining ones. I do like what carolins posted above.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have a dilemma now which wood and stain to pick - I am going for a slab doors - clean look but don't know which wood as far as grain is not that busy. Trying to figure out whether I should go lighter or darker stain or maybe clear coat.
  • PRO
    Design Mode
    11 years ago
    I like the look of these contemporary cupboards with floors that looks similar to yours. The turquoise backsplash & counter are not my taste, but they are dramatic in the space.
    [houzz=
    Divine Kitchens LLC · More Info
    ]

The pic came from an article on house: 12 Great Kitchen Styles
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/12-great-kitchen-styles-which-ones-for-you-stsetivw-vs~7983584
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you - great tip! The wood is veneer though and with veneer some cabinets look better than with natural wood :) I like to have a sleek look of a slab door a little bit woody but not too much grain, warm feeling but a little modern, probably white/bright quartz counter tops and I like green for a backsplash, not too shiny as glass tile but maybe some olive green ceramic type of more classic tiles - not subway though - am I high maintenance?
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH