Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samayyz

How long did your Home Depot, lumber liquidators wood floors last?

samayyz
8 years ago
We have a budget of $5 sq ft max for wood floors. I know they will not be the best quality and will need to be replaced in a few years. I am just wondering how many years I can get out of them. I am interested in only the cost of the material. Budget can not be changed and we must replace the the carpet in the living room, dining room and vinyl in the kitchen. 1500 sq ft in total.

Comments (12)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    Lumber liquidators web site will tell you how long the wear is on most flooring, search their site
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    I used their flooring in my salon , I did just under 1000 feet of clearance flooring, layer it ourselves and it cost just under $250 dollars and has lasted three years already and still looks new, it is a gray washed wood look
    samayyz thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • samayyz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you both for your comments. I plan on using engineered hardwood, preferably oak. Thanks Brandi I was looking for real life experience like the one you described in your salon. I checked the site and the flooring I am interested in says 100 year warranty. I have however read countless houzz comments discouraging the use of big box wood flooring but I need wood floors within my budget.

• ecpt
    8 years ago

I know many people who have had their wood or tile done by "big box" stores over the years. Two come to mind who had problems and both were with the installer. But as to the product itself, I don't know of anyone who has had a problem.

samayyz thanked ecpt
  • samayyz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you ecpt thats great information to know.

• jhmarie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I had Bruce pre-finished solid hardwood (not engineered) from Lowe's $3.79 a sq. ft. for gunstock oak. Most was installed by a very good floor installer who then retired. He said it was very good flooring - many long pieces and only a few flawed ones. The second installer said the same thing. I have only had the floor less than a year so i cannot yet comment on how it holds up, and it is upstairs in the bedrooms which gets little wear.

Because these are solid hardwood, they should not need to be replaced for decades. However, the refinishing of some prefinished floors can be expensive because it is a lot of work to sand off the factory applied finish.

Prefinished floors have a slight bevel on the edges so they fit together correctly. I thought this would bother me but it does not. My main level floors are site finished solid oak - check out the price of that too. Here is a pic of the Bruce:

My kitchen in progress: · More Info

samayyz thanked jhmarie
  • Kivi
    8 years ago
    I put down an engineered wood floor from Home Depot about 6 years ago. It is a medium dark stained hand scraped oak. It is a daily use floor. It has no marks on it at all, nor have I had any problems with swelling or shrinking. It has been a great floor.
    We do not wear shoes inside our home. We have had an older dog. We vacuum regularly and damp mop it, if needed.
    samayyz thanked Kivi
  • annielee50
    8 years ago
    I have installed Bruce engineered hardwood in gunstock oak from Home Depot in two different houses. Both looked great after years of wear. Usual indents, etc. but beautiful floor and very enjoyable.
  • PRO
    Quality Hardwoods
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Now days there are many high quality engineered flooring manufacturers that provide flooring lines which are affordable yet still made from much better quality materials that those of say home depot or lumber liquidators. Real Wood Floors for example has their "Brick and Board" collection which we could get you well within your price range. These other brands also have a much better variety than the big box stores. If you want I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have a help you out with your decision. Here is a example of the Brick and Board line, we carry many other lines that are high quality yet still in your price range as well.

Bryan Munn

Contact Us

• John Manning
    6 years ago

@reba120 Engineered flooring is not the same as laminate flooring.

• Daniel Kim
    4 years ago

is there a big box store that sells the brick and board collection? I wish I was in your area Bryan.. I'd go down in a heartbeat...