Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tommyflan

POLL: Metro tiles - hit or miss?

Tom Flanagan
8 years ago

The tiles we all love to hate (and love). Some call them stunning, some say they belong on the subway. Some say they're trendy, other say they're strictly for the toilet.

So - where do you stand on metro tiles?

Kitchens · More Info

Hit!
Miss!

Comments (56)

• PRO
    IT Tiles
    8 years ago

There are hundred of types of Metro tile styles ! The basic white bevel are a bit old hat but something like these however,

• carole_fordham1
    8 years ago
    Just about to tile our kitchen in small flat sage green metro tiles.....
  • PRO
    The Inclusive Home
    8 years ago

We have them in white in the kitchen and olive/sage green in the bathroom - they are a hit in this house!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Tom,

Yes I do really like these... I also like glass ones.. : ))

Or a whole wall of them... They add texture and interest..

Herringbone....

• neotoma
    8 years ago

You need an "other" category. Used in the right way in the right place they look great, but I can't learn to love the white with grey grout trend - it just makes me think of grubby public toilets.

• PRO
    Rob Crawshaw Photo
    8 years ago

A big hit for me, when used in the right space.

• PRO
    Bluesuntree
    8 years ago

When you add the right accessories this can be a great concept.

• PRO
    Chris Snook
    8 years ago
    Hit! Especially as it's my photo!
  • PRO
    Camouflage
    8 years ago

Hit! Stylish, versatile and always a classic.

• Jo DP
    8 years ago

in small doses, & handled carefully, lovely. They suit all budgets & are a stylish alternative to stratosphere-priced Tiles &, hopefully, are pretty timeless.

The coloured ones, apple green, smoky blue etc are a particular favourite & can be teamed with some fab paint colours & finishes to particular great effect.

They can look victorian, rustic or modern depending on how you treat them.

Personally, not keen on the Gents Lavatory look.

Topps tiles sell quality ones for a remarkable price.

• PRO
    Granite Empire
    8 years ago

Always HIT!. Very classy, they look great on the walls.

• Tina
    8 years ago

I agree with Jo DP, they do look great Victorian, rustic, modern... or any style. Thought twice about using them when tiling our house a few years back but I still like them.

• Kelly Blanchard
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Loving my new handcut blue denim subways in my guest bathroom - just waiting for the plumbing to be finished!

With sand coloured grout.

• rselfridge
    8 years ago

Definitely had their day, they always looked too much like a UK public toilet anyway!

• Josephine Geeson
    8 years ago

Trends - come and go as always, just have to wait this one out! I quite like them especially the various patterns to be made disguising them.

• tiredoldwoman
    8 years ago

I love metro tiles . They remind me of old kitchens that I did holiday jobs in when I was at school , big old gas ranges , scalding soapy water , toasters that you had to watch all the time, silver toast racks and butter curlers ! Silver tea and coffee pots with an extra hot water one , busy, busy then well earned tranquility and toast once the guests had gone out for the day . Oooh .

• Josy Conolly
    8 years ago

Being French, they are too much like the Métro and public toilets, I admit that a good colour and an exciting pattern might make it less so..but there are so many fabulous tiles out here why not be a tad different.., or is that a dirty word nowadays?

• k11agl
    8 years ago
    I'd still go with glass splash back all day long :)
  • Marion
    8 years ago
    They are a fad that won't last. This look is going to date really quickly.
  • faymcdade
    8 years ago

The white ones are ok, tho as people have said they do have a whiff of public loos...but I hate the black ones in kitchens! I'm property-hunting at the moment and it seems every other place that has had a kitchen refit has black metro tiles! I love rooms to be as light as possible and these tiles make the kitchens seem so dark- esp when teamed with dark appliances as well - I wouldn't want to work in them, so for me they're a def turn-off.

• pblakelock
    8 years ago
    Metro tiles are a classic, I'm not a tile historian but I think they are well known for being used on the Paris Metro at the turn of the 20th Century. Practical, modern and chic. The may have been 'trendy' recently but even when the trend is over they will remain part of a longer/older design story.
  • lorrainert
    8 years ago
    Included in my last place when we refurbed the kitchen 8 years ago so maybe a longer lasting fad. Have kind of fallen out of love with the look of late.
  • Sandra
    8 years ago

We've just moved from this house, brought the range cooker with us so hoping to recreate some of them so as I loved the red tiles so much . We've bought a new cooker hood to match

• Janie
    8 years ago
    Who wants a home to look as if it's a cross between the underground and a public lavatory? Tiles leave me completely cold... Building a house in Spain many years ago and we had tiles everywhere. All the bathrooms were tiled floor to ceiling, the kitchen, the floors thought the house with marble, cold, cold cold, so uncosy... We are about the start a major project, completely gutting my husbands family home which hasn't had much done to it in 4 generations. There will be no tiles, apart from inside the showers. It will, thank goodness, a tile free house.
  • Caroline Miles
    8 years ago

Sorry to be so negative but they remind me of cold, damp and smelly school loos, the grey grouting just about puts the flnal nail in the coffin! But.... everyone has their own likes and dislikes and these tiles leave me feeling empty!

• PRO
    P & P Maintenance Services
    8 years ago

They are a design classic and have stood the test of time. We seem to be installing these on about a third of our kitchen installations, so they remain very popular, even more so that the range of colours has increased as well as coloured glass options.

Various Tiling Projects · More Info

• marybee553
    8 years ago

I must say that I completely dislike the white/grey grout ones - yuk!! However that said, I fell 'head over heels' for the red glass ones I saw in a recent photograph.

• PRO
    Regal Kitchens
    8 years ago

Love metro tiles! Practical but stylish.

• Vivien Lee
    8 years ago

Sorry def with the Miss camp - they remind me of underground loos!

• sandy
    8 years ago

I started off liking them but now they're everywhere so they have become common and boring.

• Kim Oldfield
    8 years ago

They do look nice in some places. But on the whole, they remind me of old fashioned public toilets, the underground and old hospital corridors. I look at them and think of wee, germs and dirt. But, it's a personal taste thing and I know some people love them, its your home after all, not everyone would like my tiles, but I do, and that's all that matters :-)

• Sandra
    8 years ago

I have to say, I don't like white ones, they do mresemble public loos ,,especially school,ones .

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

I like the aesthetic of the London underground. I make enamel surfaces in London underground colours.Working in a factory that prints the underground signs.

• PRO
    Premier Kitchens & Bedrooms
    8 years ago

We like the light tiles, with the light grouting, like in this kitchen we have recently completed.

Shaker Alabaster Kitchen with Subway Tiles · More Info

• Kelly Blanchard
    8 years ago

I don't mind the white back splash tiles but together with everything else it looks like a bit of an igloo. It needs some colour or variation?

• PRO
    Han & Hall
    8 years ago

definitely a hit!

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

I guess it all depends on personal preference and the general decor and feel of the room. I like them, they can work magic, but not everywhere.

• PRO
    Travertine Direct
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Metro tiles are great, small format tiles (especially polished) will reflect the light and open up the room more!

• moiraford
    7 years ago
    A miss for me, they still have the whiff of Victorian public convenience. Sorry.
  • User
    7 years ago

This is definitely a hit in our opinion.

• PRO
    Yeo Design
    7 years ago

Not to keen on white on white.

• PRO
    R. White and Sons Tiling.
    7 years ago

beautiful tiles

• PRO
    tabo
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hit

• PRO
    Kontour
    7 years ago

Alot of clients want them now, last kitchen project we worked on, it was cream cabinets with sage green metro tiles, the client will be happy for years to come and they can change them if not longer 'on trend' but will still keep cabinets.

• PRO
    SMD Tiling Services
    7 years ago

Here at SMD tiling we think its a hit. Never go's out of style, and here to stay.

• PRO
    Olga Lucci Interiors
    7 years ago

Very nice work!

• User
    7 years ago
    I used white ones with white grout as splash back around hob and just up to window height around the rest of the kitchen. They were inexpensive and look quite stylish and unobtrusive. I would never opt for coloured or patterned tiles as they would inevitably date and tiling is SO permanent. I do however hate them with dark grout.
  • PRO
    Premium Panels B.V.
    7 years ago

Love those tiles. Something different from all the other tiles.

• Coco Nuts
    7 years ago

Too faddish, hate them

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!