fragrancenutter

fragrant roses that produce abundant perfect cut blooms

fragrancenutter

I really like mixing my cut roses when I arrange them but there are many varieties that will produce enough blooms per flush to perfection that they also make great single variety bouquets. All these varieties below have this ability and they were all cut from a single bush per variety.

Augusta Luise

Barbra Streisand

Beverly

Evelyn

Firefighter

Frederic Mistral

Granada

Happy Child

Madame Isaac Periere

Memorial Day

Comments (1.2K)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

You certainly are, fragrance. That's an incredible number of roses and bouquets. And all are stunning. I keep looking and simply can't pick a favorite. Will you be giving some of these away? I'd love to fly down to Australia and do a little begging for bouquets. In the last photo, what is that enormous rose at the middle of the bottom row? What a cool center it has with the swirl. These latest bouquets are some of your best, and the roses seem to love autumn, judging from their beauty and health. Diane

fragrancenutter thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • pink rose(9b, FL )

Fragrance

Wow such spectacular bouquets even end of season ! We are in the rainy season here in Florida so most of the blooms are ruined .

fragrancenutter thanked pink rose(9b, FL )
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Oh, fragrance, sometimes when I see your bouquets it brings a tear to my eye with such beauty that you have been able to produce . I enjoy your bouquets and the pictures of them so very much.

Picture number 6 is that a months did would?

fragrancenutter thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Kristine that’s funny... I bet you were using the talk to text feature. Months did would.... Munstead Wood? ;-)

Fragrancenutter I bet your bouquets lift the spirits of so many people at your work. Your friends and coworkers are all very lucky. :-)

fragrancenutter thanked Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Haha I guess I should check what I write before I post it

• fragrancenutter

Diane, that enormous rose in the last picture is Neptune. The roses do look their best here in Autumn - no sunburn, higher petal count, larger flowers, no thrips damage, and extra fragrant! I just love it! I shouldn't speak so soon as there is a storm coming tonight...

Kristine, those are not Munstead Wood or months did would, but Young Lycidas! ;) They also smell great in Autumn. Munstead Wood have a really dark wine colour in this cool weather. I should probably cut some of them too!

• fragrancenutter

Frederic Mistral, Firefighter and Granada are still quite productive in early winter.

A little gift I put together for a friend

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Fragrance. You are the Qween of flower arrangements. Each one is winner. It is hard to pick a favorite , they are all so gorgeous.

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Wow! I really like how you used the strappy leaves in the gift for your friend. Did you pin them? Tie them?

They’re all fantastic!

• poseidonprincess

Your roses are a dream. The bouquets are inspiring. You can see the progressive sophistication of the arrangements. Thank you so much for sharing. This thread is heaven.

fragrancenutter thanked poseidonprincess
  • fragrancenutter

Thank you all!

Cori Ann the palm leaflets have been bent with tapes at the bottom end. You can also thread them through each other or a slit in the leaflet lower down. You can also twist them before you fix them for a different effect.

Poseidonprincess, sophistication is a big word... I am not sure if my arrangements are getting more sophisticated but I am certainly getting quicker and quicker at putting them together!

• fragrancenutter

A few more in the cold weather. Brother Cadfael has been good this year late in the season, producing some nice big fat very double blooms. Other reliable late producers include PJP II, Granada, Nehema, Memorial Day, and Crimson Glory. I have use more palm leaves in another gift box arrangement, Cori Ann!

• fragrancenutter

A few recent bunches. Nahema is having a decent winter flush.

Was trying out some asymmetric arrangements.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois

Fragrancenutter would you consider starting a part two for this thread.

• rosecanadian
    last year

I am deeply in awe! You should write a book about arranging/growing roses...it would be a beautiful coffee table book too with all the pictures you have!!! I would buy it for sure!!!

Carol

• Lisa Adams
    last year

Fragrance, it’s been a while since I’ve looked at your thread. I’m struck again with how incredibly beautiful your rose bouquets are. They really are works of art. It’s always such a pleasure to visit this thread. I also love to arrange flowers, and enjoy getting fresh ideas from your pictures. It’s an extra bonus that we live in similar climates, so what grows well for you, also grows well for me. I’ve forgotten the name of the green and white foliaged filler that you use so often, but I like it so much that I’d like to grow it myself for bouquets. It sets off anything and everything so perfectly.

‘Neptune’ must be a very heat tolerant rose. Somehow I’d never noticed it in your arrangements, until today,( in the last May 22 bouquet, the rose Diane asked about). I was visiting my sister in Hanford last week, and spied a gorgeous lavender tree rose from my spot in the swimming pool. It was beautiful and loaded with blooms, despite being in full sun, and 95F-105F temps being the daily norm all summer. It was ‘Neptune’, a rose that had never been on my radar for hot, dry climates. I was so impressed with hers. It really was outstanding. Today, as my eyes eagerly your bouquets, I see a gorgeous, enormous, swirled, lavender rose, and low and behold! There’s ‘Neptune’ again! Where has this beautiful rose been all my life? It’s just stunning, and obviously quite heat tolerant. Can you tell me anything about it? I’d love know a bit about Neptune’s size, growth habit, bloom frequently, and vase life, if you have time. It was just so lovely at my sisters, and now I see your beautiful pictures of it.

I enjoyed them all very much, Fragrancenutter. Thank you for keeping this thread going. I love it! Lisa

• lavenderlacezone8
    last year

I would love to hear more about Neptune too as I'm trying to decide what to do with them! I had two last year that arrived smashed up but in spite of it, I had a couple of little blooms that we exceptionally fragrant and assumed that Neptune must be very vigorous.

So I ordered a third one this spring and that one is still sitting there doing nothing like the earlier ones. Since they are only six inches tall in a row where I have to constantly prune to keep it at four feet tall, I finally threw up my hands a few days ago and dug them up to put them in a less conspicuous spot.

They had no root system to speak of! Mine are own-root by the way. So now I'm wondering if I should just try another vendor or if it just doesn't like it here? Or doesn't do well own-root?

By comparison, Lisa's wonderful recommendation of PCdMs have only been here a couple of months, are constantly blooming and have quadrupled in size. Own-root and same hot conditions.

• fragrancenutter
    last year

Yes Neptune is a very heat tolerant rose. Mine is next to hot pavement and gets full day sun all summer and it does not get burnt. It is one of those roses that takes a few years to build up its size before performing well - similar to Dolly Parton.

• fragrancenutter
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have been busy with many projects lately and have not had time to do much with my roses. Cut a bunch today to make a birthday present. The snaps and sweet peas are doing well too.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year
    last modified: last year

How fun that this thread popped up

It is fabulous to revisit all of your gorgeous roses and arrangements. I look forward to many more.

• Lisa Adams
    last year

I was just thinking about your roses the other day, fragrancenutter. Sonia Rykiel is so beautiful! I’m looking forward to your Spring arrangements very much! Lisa

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    last year

Oh, gorgeous, fragrance. Are those humongous sweet peas in your arrangement? They are stunning. Of course, Sonia is beautiful as well. I hope to see more of your garden this year. What have you been propagating? Diane

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    last year

Fragrancenuter ,

Waiting for your Fall pics !

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    last year

Fragrancen, I'm missing you and your beautiful rose bouquets. I hope all is well with you, and you'll return soon, and that you haven't been having trouble posting on dear, old Houzz. This has really caused some problems for all of us. Hurry back, Diane

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    last year

Fragrancenutter, your pics help to get us through our winter season! I’m wishing you loads of roses and beautiful photos to share!

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Fragrancenutter: Your arrangements are so lovely! What area do you grow them in? I’m in SoCal Zone 10b - Sunset Zone 22... about 6 miles from the Coast.

Can you tell me the name of this rose?
    The color and shape is so striking... it reminds me of a peony... I need this rose in my life.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Fragrancenutter: I also love making floral arrangements with my roses... here’s one I just made of one of my favorite single varieties... the rose that started it all for me... Eden Rose.

• Diane Brakefield

Ann, here you are again. Your bouquet is just exquisite--perfect in every way. I love Eden, too. Fragrancenutter is from Perth, Australia, and we have been missing her for the past year. Her roses are superb, as are the other flowers she grows. She's a master sweet pea grower and a surgeon to boot.

Fragrance, where are you? We need you back and you are missed. Nanadoll/Diane

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Diane: I sure hope she’ll come back and join us on here. Her roses and floral arrangements are gorgeous. I would love to see and learn more from her.

• Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago

I love this thread and have often referred to it for rose inspiration! I would love to see updates from Fragrancenutter and her gorgeous garden.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Chris Martins: Here’s some more inspiration for you... I made this boutique for my friend’s birthday.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Perfection!!!

• Diane Brakefield

Ann, what is the beautiful rose--I love its exquisite coloring? Is the white lacey stuff orlaya? I have a lot of that finally blooming and can't wait to use it. Your friend is lucky to receive this bouquet. Diane

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

And a few more... these are my White Eden Rose.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Ann, you have clearly been holding out on us!!!

• Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago

Ann, those are beautiful! Thank you for the inspiration! :)

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Diane Brakefield: the white lacy flour is...
    Daucus carota, whose common names include wild carrot, bird's nest, bishop's lace, and Queen Anne's lace (North America), is a white, flowering plant in the family Apiaceae, native to temperate regions of Europe and southwest Asia, and naturalized to North America and Australia. It randomly grew in my grew garden and I was curious to see what it would grow into and boy did it surprise me with lovely Lacey blooms.

• Diane Brakefield

That's interesting, Ann, because I grow Daucus carolta Dara, the brownish purple form of wild carrot, and it's invasive around here. Four feet tall and comes up all over the place. I like it in small doses. Orlaya is a lacey substitute for the more invasive types. watch out you wild carrot carefully in case yours becomes invasive, too.

• Tina_Dallas

Ann: Is that eden climber? How you get so many blooms at once? It must be established. I just started this season and lucky to have 2 roses bloom at once. Anyone have experience with white eden? Too bad edens are not fragrant climber..

• Tina_Dallas

Ann: how would you rate white eden with just eden? where would you recomm getting it from? David Austin online?

I am curious how to grow fillers such as statiice (I worked at a floral shop one summer in college).. I have white liatris already.. Queen ann would be substitute for babys breath.. I saw astromeria plant as well

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Diane Brakfield: Thank you for the tip on or Orlaya “white lace”... i’m going to try and see if I can get some seeds so I can grow it with my roses. Do you grow Orlaya?

While I love the look of Queen Anne’s lace… I agree with you on the concern over it’s invasiveness… So I pulled it after I cut off all the blooms. And also, it grows too big and tall for my garden space. So something more compact like Orlaya will be perfect. Now I need to search for Orlaya seeds.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Tina: I love both my Eden and my White Eden... honestly I can not pick a favorite. Both are climbers... but I train them into looking more like really large shrub roses by bending the canes down into a loop and tying it to itself.

You have to be very patient with Edens... 3 years to get well established before you’re truly rewarded with massive blooms. Mine are about 6 years in the ground... I think. I think they’re well worth the wait.

My Edens have a faint scent... lovely... but faint.

I love planting Budleia “butterfly bush” in my garden to go with my Edens for floral arrangements. The budleia smell like sweet lilacs. I have one planted by my front door to greet me and guests with a sweet scent when them come for a visit.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Tina: also, I second what Diane recommended... check out Orlaya “white lace”

• Diane Brakefield

One of our forum members, Lisa, grows orlaya (she's recovering from surgery and isn't posting for a bit). She lives in the San Diego area, and buys single plants from Annie's Annuals (get one of their wonderful catalogs) which then reseed to produce more plants and seeds. She generously shared some of her seeds with me, and that's how I got my orlaya. I would like more plants (I may regret that), so at this point, I'd like it to reseed. You could try the Annie's route, or try to find seed for sale. I can't remember if I've seen any orlaya seed in the catalogs. Maybe try Googling it, too. I think the white wild carrot/Queen Ann's Lace is prettier than the purple Dara. Diane

• Diane Brakefield

Tina, you could try orlaya, also. For more informal bouquets, I like the yellow daisy form of heliopsis, a perennial false sunflower. It has slowly reseeded and makes a lovely display of its own, but the plants are large. Even Shasta daisy makes a nice filler, but it doesn't bloom nearly as long as heliopsis.

Ann, be sure to check out Lisa's bouquets when she starts posing again. Diane

• rosecanadian

Ann - GASP!!!! Your bouquet of Eden is so dreamily beautiful!!! I'm in awe!!! And then you have that gorgeous arrangement for your friend!! You are very, very talented!!!

I, too, want Fragrancenutter to come back!!! She brought so much to the forum!!

• Diane Brakefield

Ann, I was curious why my Proven Winners butterfly bushes don't have a scent (I checked), and PW describes most of its BBs as scented, including the ones I grow. I wuz cheated. Seriously, why is it so hard to get a good scent around here? And I checked during a light drizzle, so it wasn't dry, which does depress scent. And your white Eden is just stunning. I wasn't aware this rose had a white variation. Diane

• Tina_Dallas

Thanks! I wikl look into orlaya as well. Although pincushion flower has that airy light look.

I have several dwarf butterfly bush but I do not detect any great scent. May I ask where you buy Eden (I have not ordered roses online before)

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Tina: I tend to like to see my Roses in person and pick them out myself whenever possible… So I purchase my Eden’s from Roger’s Gardens in corona Del Mar, California and also from the Plant Depot in San Juan Capistrano, California.

Tina & Diane... that is so strange that your butterfly bushes do not have a scent. I grown A few different varieties… And they all have a scent... that’s one of the reasons they’re worth growing for me. I was actually just at Roger‘s Gardens this past week… Checking out some different varieties of butterfly bushes… And again they all have scent.

Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource