Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbievalencia

Suggestions for Curb Appeal

D V
8 years ago

This is my house which was built in the 1940s. I am looking to give it more curb appeal. Any thoughts on how I can soften up the heavy brick front and create a more inviting entry way?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Regal Construction & Remodeling Inc.
    8 years ago

Innovative living room · More Info

German Mortar Smear or the messy mortar look these techniques could soften up the heavy brick front.

D V thanked Regal Construction & Remodeling Inc.
  • ecpt
    8 years ago

First thoughts to soften the brick: a crape myrtle, one of the varieties that doesn't grow too high. And/or something tall and columnar like a juniper on the corner. You might consider extending the mulch bed to curve around your walk all the way to driveway and filling it in with something low-mounding like liriope or seasonal annuals.

D V thanked ecpt
  • lefty47
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

HI -- I love your house ... they don't make them like that anymore do they ?? Paint the front eves (roof edges ) and the shutters and the garage doors and trim in a black/brown like "Willow" by Benjamin Moore paints . Plant a columnar shape tree or two on the right side like an Italian cypress ... one in front of the brick and another a little further out front . Maybe add a small flowering tree where that pink scrub is now beside the walkway. Or plant a wispy tree such as a weeping birch further front of the door or some thing lacy that gives dapple shade to the front entrance .

D V thanked lefty47
  • clsarah
    8 years ago

Truth be told I think your house is lovely just as it is. The brick is such a nice brick and I don't think even needs to be messed with!

D V thanked clsarah
  • rwdebkw
    5 years ago

Your house is beautiful and has great bones. I would unify the color scheme. That can be done by painting the shutters and door white to unify with the garage and the trim on the house. The front door as is, seems to disappear in the shadow. I would also paint the black rail white. If you can afford

it, I suggest you replace it with a bit more substantial wood or composit rail and put rails on both sides of the steps. This would give it balance-symmetry. I if no funds for this now, just get two cans of no rusting white spray paint and get it done in 15 minutes. Don’t use the flat- too boring

now add a splash of color by getting a large tall pot- 20-24 inches tall in bright red since you like it and put in a tall plant like hibiscus(yellow would be perfect) or weather permitting a l

tall lemon or lime tree. Underplant these with annuals but be sure and include a trailing one like begonia. On every other step put the largest clay pot they can hold and put in annuals and your favorite herbs. Put in a horizontal mailbox at your door and a colorful doormat. No plastic if you can avoid it

Now by the brick wall you have beautiful green plantings! I would plant a taller branching tree at the back center to the chimney- something different from all the green color you already have-maybe a Japanese maple or weeping cherry tree. Be sure and check the color of the blossoms before buying. I would stick to white or red blossoms.

little gem magnolias are nice. To end it, I would get nice solar lights to go along the walkway and lining your planting bed-gunmetal would look nice and tie into your roofline. Get substantial ones and they will last. QVC and Costco always have nice ones with glass globes! Get new numbers for your address. Put this above your new mailbox. These can be individual but I think the ones you can order at Lowes or Home Depot that are enclosed in a oval or square plate design are so much more sophisticated.

If you wanted to you could get flower boxes for the windows upstairs.

i don’t see much outdoor lighting if any. You could get battery operating or solar light over the center above your garage door and get a post light that is solar and battery operated. These are so cool you can place them anywhere.

By the edge or into the edge of your planting bed near your step would give nice illumination to your entry way.

i hope I have been able to share some ideas with you that you think might stir up your creative juices, Whatever you do.... enjoy your home .

D V thanked rwdebkw
  • charaj00
    5 years ago
    Paint the down spouts to match the siding. Paint the garage door the same color as the front door. Put a potted tree on the top step. Update lighting and mailbox. Plant cypress, arborvitae, something tall and full on the right corner of the house. Spread out the shrubs along the walk way. The house is great. The colors and landscaping need to be tweeked.
    D V thanked charaj00
  • PRO
    CAP Construction, LLC
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would leave the brick alone and paint the siding more of a beige. Perhaps it's my monitor, but the current siding appears a bit on the peach side. I would change the shutters to black to give it a more classic look.

D V thanked CAP Construction, LLC
  • D V
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi everyone-

Happy New Year. I'm back with my brick house. Thank you for all the helpful comments.

I'm ready to spring to action and this time...I have the money needed to give the house a make over.

I've decided to change the siding on the house. Up close the siding is not in great shape-its cracked and chipped and the paint is peeling. I'm keeping the brick unpainted. I LOVE the German Schmear look BUT the brick and mortar are old and it might not look great.

In addition to the siding, I'm going to update trim around the windows and door and get new shutters along with new front light, mailbox and address numbers.

Here's my question...what color siding should I do?

The windows would be trimmed in white. Garage door is staying white. Step railing is staying black. So, I've already got the black and white color combo in play and now need a siding color that will be complimentary. (and I'm thinking shutters/front door should be either black or white)

Let me know your thoughts. And if anyone knows of a company that offers a service to help you see what the house would look like...please share.

One more thing...I did add really nice white flower boxes underneath the small windows on the brick. They look great-should I put shutters on the smaller window?

Again, appreciate all/any feedback.

And my time frame to start this is March 2020.

Regards,

DV

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

One: some Houzzers are great at visual changes to your photo. Two: what are your color options for the new siding? Did you choose a company?

D V thanked RedRyder
  • D V
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the response.

I am looking at working with Alside siding and have no idea what color to choose. There are so many colors to choose from. If you have any thoughts on what color works with the brick...please advise.

Thanks

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Their website seems to have an option to “try” colors on your house. I assume you would have to upload the photo you posted here. If you like a soft green, their Coastal sage is nice. Or Mountain Fern. There are so many neutrals it is hard to choose but I would avoid the yellow-leaning ones. Natural Linen is very nice.
    Here is the link I found. https://cdn.alside.com/media/29550/alside-on-trend-color-brochure-rev.pdf
    I’m assuming you meant to say March 2021... :)

D V thanked RedRyder
  • D V
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks again for your help.

I spent a good amount of time reviewing all of my materials.

Before I choose my color I need to choose which siding to go with. I have four to choose from-Conquest, Odyssey Plus, Charter Oak and Pelican Bay. Then I need to decide what style siding and then I'll choose a color.

Alsides "try colors on your house" is a little tricky. I have to spend some time figuring out how to use it.

I really like the Coastal Sage and I think it might look flattering with the brink. I also like Juniper Ridge and Tuscan Clay. I think they would each go with white window casing and black shutters and black front door.

I'm staying so far away from yellow...it looks so bad especially with the red.

And yes, I do mean March 2021!

Thank you for your help. And if you see anything that might be useful to me-please send my way.

• Jeanne J
    3 years ago

I would paint the garage door the same color as your siding. The shutters do nothing for the house. I would eliminate them. Good choice to leave the brick as is. With the right color siding your house will be beautiful.

D V thanked Jeanne J
  • HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I would do a white siding or maybe a navy. White wash the brick. New lightning. New address sign. Agree to paint the garage and front door.

D V thanked HU-187528210
  • felizlady
    3 years ago

I would paint the siding a soft blue, white trim and garage door, and a different color on the front door. You definitely need a semi-dwarf tree planted in the grass area, centered on the chimney. A semi-dwarf tree will not overwhelm the house like many standard-sized trees. Ask the tree person to suggest trees which have a root system that will not invade any pipes under the yard. Your plumber should be able to tell you where any supply or waste pipes are located.

D V thanked felizlady