Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidi121212

Counter Depth French Door Fridge....help me decide!

heidi121212
8 years ago
I am in the market for a new fridge. I have narrowed down my choices to: Jennair CYE22TSSS or GE Cafe CFE28TSHSS. My main concerns are quality, durability, and the need for repairs. I welcome any advice or feedback you may have on these products (good or bad). Please help me decide!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    8 years ago

Those are both really good companies: the only ones that I try to avoid are Frigidaire and whirlpool.

• leelee
    8 years ago

That's funny, when our GE Cafe freezer went out the repairman, who sees them all, said Whirpool is the best. GE's are nicely styled but I'm not pleased with the quality.

• chloebud
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I've discovered appliance reviews can be almost paralyzing. Personally, I wouldn't go with GE based on some bad experience. Wwhen our 4 yr-old Whirlpool washing machine died, the technician who came to our home said KitchenAid was a good choice for anything in the kitchen. Who knows, but I'm still looking for a washing machine.

If it's any help, in my search for a new washing machine, I've been told GE is one of the lowest selling brands from some 6 or 7 different salespeople. Also, I'm pretty sure Jenn-Air is marketed by Whirlpool.

• Tony V
    8 years ago

We're in the same boat, we're probably going for the Whirlpool next month when we move into the new house. Going with a french door bottom freezer model that doesn't have an ice/water dispenser though as it takes up a lot of room, and we never used it when we had it in the old house.

• chloebud
    8 years ago

Heidi, sorry if I sounded too negative. We've just been through frustration with the quality of appliances these days. Gone are the days of a Maytag lasting years and years!

If you're set on those two fridge choices, I'd probably go with the Jenn-Air. I'm not thrilled with Whirlpool right now, but our technician did mention that, along with KitchenAid, Whirlpool still had some integrity. Maybe our washer was just a big fat lemon!

• heidi121212
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks to all who responded. I learned some valuable info today. The GE Cafe CFE28TSHSS has been discontinued due to problems with the water/ice machine. Sooooo I am definitely going with the Jennair. Thanks again for all the feedback! And just as a side note, it does seem to me that appliances are not built to last as they once were :(
  • grewa002
    8 years ago

Have you looked into LG and Samsung?

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    8 years ago

Samsung is by far my favorite- for customer service and longevity.

• chloebud
    8 years ago

@Tony V...lol, that will definitely last longer than my Whirlpool Cabrio did!

Regarding LG and Samsung, they're definitely top sellers from what I've been told. I found an LG washer that was a possibility until I started checking the reviews. I'm not sure if this is true, but I've been told the parts for both LG and Samsung are made in South Korea making them more expensive and harder to get...??? Again, it's all so darned frustrating. I should probably just hold my nose and pick a new washer!