Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tothenines

Help, Which chairs? Can't make my mind up!

tothenines
8 years ago

Sorry if you've seen my dining room many times! ! Bare with me, I'm stuck on chairs for my new live edge table. I really wanted a MC or more modern simplistic relaxed feel. I originally used the light upholstered chairs I already had and actually liked them, they feel fresh, eclectic, interesting and fun to me, but I don't really get that MC/mod/industrial look I was going for with the room. Who thinks the light high back chairs in pics looks better or the lower back wooden style. Perhaps it depends on the look I'm going for? I'll post a couple inspiration photos to give you an idea. I posted this in a poll also, but can't determine (see) the votes, so I figured I might get more feed back here. I'm not interested in photos of other chair ideas, I've been through so many and like too many. I believe it will come down to my light upholstered or the wooden ones shown here. Perhaps the wooden one with light colored host chairs verses the black ones i have would look better if i keep the brown wooden center chairs??Thank you!

INSPIRATION ROOMS:

Midcentury Dining Room · More Info

Comments (370)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I actually think with that sideboard something a little traditional (I would put mine into the more farm/ traditional category).....would not be a bad idea with the wishbone chairs...maybe you are trying to push the modern/MC a little to heavy? Something to think about......

tothenines thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 years ago

Willow look at these slipcover chairs I found today....I just love them..

• tothenines
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Karen D.... So I made it down to DWR today. They had your chair, not in white though, only in a camel, and cream. Those are really nice!! Very heavy, feel/look like exceptional quality! They are hand stitched. I'd just check what type of leather, and how it's dyed, if you pay that price, you'd want to be sure you're getting high grade leather. My take is... If you have the money, and want a very modern/contemp chair that most people wont have, go for it! Sales lady told me that they have free standard shipping if you order in store verses on line. I guess better to splurge and love it than settle and just be satisfied. You'd have to be over the moon with them, at that price, in my book though. I'd imagine for the money you'd need to like them so much, that nothing else will do, if you know what I mean.

Also, I think they'd look great in your room. They look classically modern, not trendy, to me . You'd end up with a leather feel verses upholstered. If you wanted to soften the feel, I'd imagine a rug would do the trick.

Wow, their marble tulip table is gorgeous! I'm tempted by that for my kitchen, with some type of oval settee and a few other MC natural wooden chairs. The top on it was beautiful! I hadn't really considered it because I thought if I did a marble looking kitchen counter it would be too much marble. Now I'm thinking of doing a greyish counter, so maybe that table is a possibility. But.. Honestly..their prices are ridiculous! I saw lots of IKEA looking stuff , so not really getting the price thing at DWR?? Some things like your chairs and the tulip table are quality I haven't seen elsewhere in a similar item... But the other stuff was just...mmmm so, so looking and not worthy of the price tag, IMO!

As for my wishbone, I was pleasantly surprised and relieved that there is no need for me to spend $1400/chair for the HANS, and that the quality, appearance of wood grain, stain, and weight was no better looking or feeling than my $150.00 version with the upholstered seat! Yay!!

Now to determine if I should purchase a Rove walnut with the natural seat and hope the wood grain looks to be the same quality of the ones I have.

Also, picked up sand swatch from RH. I think sand might be a winner looks good with my living room chairs. Now, the host comes down to the square modern or the slope arm in sand. I plan to make a decision this week.

• tothenines
    Original Author
    8 years ago

HI, those ALL MODERN are cool, love the button back, but no arms? ;)

• tothenines
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Karen D, here's a sand swatch in my space. I mentioned it's so close to my living room chairs in color. I actually do think sand is prefect! I was worried it'd look too tan. Am still contemplating all upholsterd, the only ones that will fit around my table are the RH cloud, so that helps decision. They are comfy, but not sure about all the pillows at the table. They look casual though. I put a living room chairs pillow in a chair at table and kinda like the full pillow feel. Ugh..... Going in circles. ... in that case no wishbone, but after falling in love with the DWR tulip table, I could do the wishbone there. Always loved that table, didn't think I wanted a marble table though, If doing a marble looking quartz counter, in that case would need to do a more solid granite/quartz. But the shiny coated marble at DWR is to die for! Don't like the price tag though! Otherwise, I'm sticking with inspiration and and ordering slope arm. All other modern slip covered chairs at RH, are too low, hitting just below table top and to wide to fit 2 on each side. So either going with clouds all around, clouds as hosts only with wishbone sides, or back to slope arm hosts and wishbone sides. What do you think?

One thing I can say I did decide on is the sand. Saves $400

Sand swatch over my living room chair pillow, they are super close.

Excuse the plastic on other chairs, I rewrapped up, should I be selling them.

Cloud

Cloud hostess

BELGIAN SLOPE ARM

• User
    8 years ago

Wow, Willow. Thanks for the information on the chairs at DWR. I'm agree with you 100%! While I really love the Bottega chair, I'm not loving the price tag. However, I did find a picture of the off white (it looks ivory) in a setting very similar to mine and it's gorgeous in the picture. And I do think it would work nicely in my dining room, but I have to love it. I picked out the wallpaper for the ceiling. Once that is finished, I should have a better idea of what direction I want to take.

Back to your dilemma-haha

I haven't seen the marble table from DWR. Please post a picture of it. I would love to see it. I'm sure it's gorgeous. I'm sure it is very modern, though. Is that the direction you want to take in your kitchen?

As far as the RH chairs, I agree with you that the lower profile ones are too low. I haven't seen them in person, but I think they would sit about an inch or 2 above the table top. I'm not crazy about that look. I do still love and will always love the more traditional slipcovered RH chairs and love the sand color. The linen sand is actually lighter in person than on the swatch. I have a Louis bench from RH upholstered in the sand and it pretty light. It's hard for me to see how it looks in your space, since I don't know what other colors you have in the adjacent rooms, but the sand looks really nice with your table. How do you think the sand will look with the new wishbone chairs you plan to order from Rove? Something to consider....

By the way, I think the quality of the chairs at Rove are excellent. If they only had a chair like the Bottega there! If you can purchase the wishbone chairs there for the fraction of the cost there in the finish you want, I would go for it!

Do you have a picture of both the wishbone chair from Rove and the RH slipcovered chair in sand to post just to see how they work together?

tothenines thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

Also, I don't care for all those pillows on the chairs on some of the more modern chairs from RH. I do like them on the hostess chairs, though, since it is a smaller pillow.

Just noticed your comment about the art in my dining room, Willow. Thanks so much, but I can't take any credit. You wouldn't want to see any of my art...lol!

tothenines thanked User
  • drdeb1234
    8 years ago

Hi Willow. I just discovered this dilemma! You've done such a fabulous job with the sideboard, and your table is great too. I very much like the wishbone chairs for your room.

I confess I haven't read everything, so apologies if this was already made clear. Are you settled on the wishbones? with hostess chairs? And do you already own the hostess chairs?

With regard to seeing the pictures in your IB, clicking on them should do the job - in the app and the web version. Not sure why that's not working for you. The houzz support people are pretty good at helping out if you contact them with a question.

tothenines thanked drdeb1234
  • ileslie2
    8 years ago
    Finally here is a pic of my vintage wishbone chairs and table. When we moved into our townhouse our dining room rug was too large so we have yet to replace it. The table has one more leaf and will seat 10. The other two chairs are elsewhere - one in the living room and one in the bedroom. The oak ones are older but the black ones are at least 30 years old.
    tothenines thanked ileslie2
  • jbtanyderi
    8 years ago
    The table (which isn't actually live edge) are chairs are screaming to be anchored on a generous rug. Once the rug is in place, consider which chairs work best.
    tothenines thanked jbtanyderi
  • jbtanyderi
    8 years ago
    Nothing in the room suggests MC/mod/industrial.
  • tothenines
    Original Author
    8 years ago

jbtanyderi, Actually it is a live edge.? Are you referring to my dining table? Maybe you can't see from the pics. We don't really want a rug, but could see how that could help determine chairs. It might need a rug. No, nothing except the wishbone are MC. Don't know if you read, I just want to add touches of MC.I don't want an MCM house, I can't achieve it with what I have. I do however, want to introduce it in subtle pieces. I like a mixture/ eclectic.

• tothenines
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ileslie2, I love your chairs! So cool to have the originals! Thank you for sharing!

• tothenines
    Original Author
    8 years ago

drdeb1234, thank you! I'm not 100%settled. Always drawn to the wishbone and wanted to add a little MC touch with chairs and a light fixture. Really wasn't going for any sort of slip covered chair. Originally wanted a MC chair all the way around. Although not a fan of too many styles of chairs, then fell in love with an inspiration photo and came across the white host chairs at the Restoration Hardware outlet, and bought them. Since wished I would have waited for the ones with arms. This thread is long, but it shows the progression of my musical chairs. I do own the chairs, but have someone wanting to buy them if I sell, otherwise I can use them as desk chairs. I'm leaning towards the same chair with arms, but still dragging feet just in case there's something I like better. Here the inspiration photo.

• tothenines
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Karen, I'll try to gather the images of rove chair with RH. The sand actually looks lighter than I thought. I think I like it with the table. Not as stark as the ones I have, which is good, because that saves money. Yeah... Maybe too many pillows on the cloud, might fall asleep eating, haha....

I'm not sure if that DWR tulip table would be too modern? I was thinking if it's a classic it can work with a lot of things? I'm in love with the marble on it, much prettier than most marble tables. It's not dull and honed, but has a high gloss on it. It's beautiful. Not sure though if it will feel too cold with tile floors and quartz counters. I'd probably then need very subtle quartz more solid, so it's not too much of the same thing. Maybe to warm it up, an upholstered curved settee on one side and a few wooden MC chairs on the other? I can see it in my head, but that table is as much as my counter bid!! Yikes!!

• drdeb1234
    8 years ago

Thanks for the update willow. It's great that you have someone who will buy the hostess chairs if you find ones you prefer. I also tend to buy one thing at a time, without planning all my steps in advance. Mostly it works well, but not always!!!

Are you looking at the DWR tulip side table? For where?

i would certainly not think it is too modern for your home. It's as classic an MCM piece as any. There are also respectable knock-offs around everywhere, but DWR things are very beautiful (and tempting!) but often outrageously expensive.

tothenines thanked drdeb1234
  • Olga Kramar
    8 years ago
    Your sideboard and dining table, just happened across it while browsing. Looks very cohesive.
    tothenines thanked Olga Kramar
  • tothenines
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okramer, I know my thread is getting long. So wanted to post the pieces I currently have (table and sideboard) -as well as the chairs I have and am considering. I think I'm settled on the chairs 99.9%, was considering a slip covered chair all the way around, but the only one that will fit is the cloud from RH, shown a few posts up, with all the attached pillows. Trying to determine if I should switch out the wishbone with the upholstered seat to a hemp seat. Haven't fully decided. But really like the inspiration photo (also a few posts up). I felt like an upholstered chair softened the room and like the light color, and I'm in love with the MC wishbone, which I see paired with all kinds of tables. Hope this gives you a better idea of the space and items.

• tothenines
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi drdeb1234, yes looking at that DWR tulip table, oh my... It's amazing in person! I'm thinking about it in my kitchen. But...painting cabs and installing counters so not sure it would go with granite counters or my tile floor I'm stuck with. Could be too much light colors going on with it. The floor was done at same time as wood in other part of the house, I wish I would have put wood in the kitchen! The table is the price of my granite install yikes! If I could find another less expensive and with the same quality top, I'd go for it.

• Jill Hirsh
    8 years ago

In my opinion , definitely the white ones. Too dark otherwise

tothenines thanked Jill Hirsh
  • tothenines
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Jill, are you referring to doing the white RH hosts, or white all around the table. Or, white verses the sand fabric? Thank you!

• tothenines
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Everyone, I have come across two chairs to replace the end ones I have now. The RH ones I have now don't have arms, been waiting for them to show up at the outlet near me. Unfortunately the exact arm chair hasn't shown up, but today they have the Parsons with arms. In white. Who thinks I should wait for the others or grab these? They are a tab bit white though. The slope arm I'm waiting for has a pillow I like and is on casters.

Can't decide, should hold out for the slope arm to show up. Here's what they have today.

here's what I've been waiting on

Here's my room

Home · More Info

Home · More Info
    Here's inspiration photo

• Janet Mmm
    7 years ago
    I'd wait - I like the arms better on the others since not as high and it looks nicer with the pillow and the corner pleat. I would measure to the top of that arm and check it with the table before you purchase if you decide on these. I also like the ones you have already.
    tothenines thanked Janet Mmm
  • tothenines
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Janet. Very tempted, but they are also a little to white. Mine are a little more subtle. I need to continue to be patient, unless I just order on line, but can save around $600 through the outlet.

• ilesliemy
    7 years ago
    I would wait also!
    Leslie
    tothenines thanked ilesliemy
  • pnkantique
    7 years ago

try adding an animal print to give it a wow look

tothenines thanked pnkantique
  • tothenines
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks everyone. I passed them up. Decided to wait on the ones I really want and the white was too white for my house.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

To white...the others are worth waiting for!!!

• User
    7 years ago

Glad you decided to pass on them, Willow. I love the sloped armed chairs and think they are worth the wait. BTW, I think I'm going to end up with those in my dining room. Just can't decide on the color/fabric.

tothenines thanked User
  • tothenines
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update! Got the Belgian slope arm chairs! Hey everyone that followed my chair saga, the RH outlet notified me yesterday that the chairs I had been waiting for were in today! I was becoming very impatient and almost ordered on line. I'm so glad I waited, I saved $850! ! Thankfully they came in, in the color I was going to order. I originally bought the perennials fabric from the outlet in natural. Though I really loved the chair, I regretted not waiting for an arm chair. I also felt the fabric was a little too white. So, I decided to go for their standard Belgian Linen sand fabric. I will say the color is probably better with the other furniture throughout my house, but that pop of fresh white was really nice too.

The perennials fabric is a special order, and felt a little more weighty, but I'm really happy. Happy I scored these for $380 for the pair, as they had an extra, 40% off today! Happy that I have a buyer for the white ones, and am getting back what I paid for them!

I do need to steam them to get the wrinkles out. Here's a photo, hubby still needs to hang the mirror:)

Karen, I think you'll be happy if you get them, if you have wood, the casters are wonderful. What have you decided?

I have a lot of light in my house, the light shining through the sky light makes them look light.

I like the others but really wanted a chair with arms. I think either would have done though. Glad the chair search has ended!

• Janet Mmm
    7 years ago
    Those look awesome I like everything about them! The casters are a great feature too since end chairs can be kind of heavy. Very nice room!!
    tothenines thanked Janet Mmm
  • User
    7 years ago

Hey Willow, your new chairs are gorgeous. I'm so happy for you :-)

The metallic grasscloth wallpaper came in for my ceiling, so we are trying to set up a date for installation. I'm also having some photographs that we took on a trip to Africa framed and am planning to do a gallery wall in the dining room. After those 2 things are done, I'll make a decision about chairs. Leaning toward doing all armed chairs on one side and hostess chairs along with a bench on the other side. Can't decide on the color of the fabric, yet. I have it narrowed down to one of the perennials and the linen in natural.

I can't believe you went with the sand. I knew it would look great in your space, and it really is very light in person. I'm so happy you got such a great deal on these. How great is that! If only we had a RH outlet store nearby us!!!

• Dale Neal
    7 years ago
    Love the worn blue color.
    tothenines thanked Dale Neal
  • tothenines
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Karen, yeah kinda shocked I got the sand, I really like both, it was hard to decide between the lighter and the sand. I do like them, but the lighter did have a crisp pop to them in the room. I think you'll really like them in your room. Did you decide against the leather chairs?

You'll have to post your photo wall when you're done.

I have a mini one above my sideboard, I'm trying to determine if I want to change out the paintings when My husband finally hangs the mirror. Now I'm questioning if the round mirror will look okay with the pictures I currently have on the wall. I like the asymmetrical set up, not sure the round will go right with how I have the wall styled.

I really want to use my own photography, which creates a more modern feel. Can't decide......Also trying to decide if I want to put one large or two medium images on the wall at the end of my table. And if I change out the chandelier what style to go for. Those will be finishing touches.

• felizlady
    7 years ago
    If you want MC, modern, or industrial, the blue cabinet will have to go or be transformed into something more sleek-looking. You have a gorgeous table and great chairs, but the scoured blue grabs all the attention.
  • tothenines
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Too bad we can't change our original post, since I wish I was more clear, and as you begin to decorate your vision changes.

I don't want MC style over all. I should have been more clear. I just wanted to add a few touches of it, like the wishbone chairs I added. I could never part with my new sideboard. My goal is to add a fun light fixture, and let the wishbone and the chandelier give me that element I'm going for. I just haven't found the chandelier yet. I should say, overall I prefer eclectic. Have to disagree though, because I've seen this sideboard used in a home that feels more modern and simplistic than my room, and it looks fab!

I could have achieved that if I would have gone with the table shown in the picture below, I fell in love with the live edge, so it took the room in a little more rustic feel, I guess. I don't really know what overall style my room is. I guess eclectic? ?

Here's some pics of the sideboard in a more modern setting, just to show how it works, I dint think this home is ultra mod or anything, but sends a little more contemporary with rustic touches. ...

Here's my inspiration photo if you missed it, this came along after I got the table and sideboard and was trying to decide what chairs I was going to go with.

I'd imagine I could simplify or modernize the wall above the sideboard and get a totally different look. I have a mirror to hang which seems to be very similar to the one in this photo.

My inspiration. ....

• felizlady
    7 years ago
    Willow, I love the sideboard. I love the live-edge table. I just think the sideboard is WAY to the country or shabby chic side, and the table is more to the modern side. Once you make the final decisions, we Houzzers would like to see the final arrangement.
    tothenines thanked felizlady
  • felizlady
    7 years ago
    Maybe if you add a beautiful rug in the blue (of the sideboard) and the brown (of the table), plus some blue accessories, your country-modern-classic (chandelier) room will suddenly come together.
    tothenines thanked felizlady
  • User
    7 years ago

Hi Willow, I must say that I love your idea of simplifying the wall above the sideboard like in your inspiration picture.

Love this!

As far as your chairs, I think they are perfect. You made the right choice by getting the sand. It is really a very elegant color and still appears very light.

In answer to your question, I've decided against the leather chairs from DWR. My hubby and I went to the store, he sat in one, and said he thought the chair looked like plastic - clearly not worth the $$$. I'll message you when I make some more updates, so you can go do my IB and check it out. Thanks for asking.

How are things going in your kitchen?

tothenines thanked User
  • tothenines
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Karen, that makes sense, yeah those chairs were nice looking but that's a crazy price! Gotta feel good about the purchase and love it for that price; )

I look forward to seeing your updates!

Perhaps I should start a new dilemma on ideas about restyling the wall above my sideboard. The things I really want there would be a few photography images of mine, or the art that's there, the mirror, and I love the brass lamp and my glass large vase. I prefer things with a layered look, and asymmetrical. Open to suggestions though; )

I'm still enjoying it, so it's not priority,except when hubby hangs the mirror it needs to be permanent because it's heavy. Thought about centering it but can't decide, if I center it, I'll end up feeling like I need to have everything symmetrical.

I probably need the amazing Gover over here to work some wall magic with Photoshop to give me a visual; )

I think I've decided I better stay away from mentioning MC or modern, because clearly my house/Decor doesn't fall into that category, and I get suggestions to get rid of things I just bought that I like. I do want a modernized chandelier though. I recently bought one for my living room. Haven't hung yet. I basically just like a mixture of styles and having fun deciding what the finished room will look like. I am inheriting a family heirloom upright piano, similar to the color of the armoire in the room. It has to go in that very spot. So that's probably going to change the look a little. I'm thinking about what I'll want on top of it and if a want to buy an interesting bench for it or use the one that goes with it.

My kitchen is on hold because the guy I was going to hire is too busy to start it, so I'm either waiting on him or finding someone new. Still waiting on soapstone prices from him.

Here's the wall again for any suggestions from anyone. Thanks! ;)

• User
    7 years ago

Hi Willow, I really love the way you layer items and objects. I tend to gravitate toward making things more symmetrical, so it is so difficult for me to layer the way that you do. I do think your space feels much more eclectic because of the way you keep things asymmetrical. It certainly makes things interesting.

I do love your brass lamp and glass vase. You have a real talent for working with smaller objects and objects that are different heights and making them look nice. That is tricky for me. I tend to want to balance things...

I love that round mirror, btw, and think it would look beautiful above the credenza, but I understand your concerns about hanging it, since it is so heavy.

I probably would center it above the credenza and then work around it. Of course, to you, that my seem a bit boring.

Is there any way you can simply prop it up against the wall to see how you like it before you have your husband hang it? It would be great if Grover could work some magic!

tothenines thanked User
  • Maria Chiarino
    7 years ago
    I would switch them all out and get nice leather parsons chairs, with no tufted backs. Ballard designs and Grandin Road (catalog or website) have great options in lots of great colors.
  • tothenines
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Maria Chiarino, Are you serious???? Don't know, if you read through the thread, but the chairs have already been updated. I don't like Parsons chairs, they are too boring for my taste, and leather would be to much brown, (they were on the list mentioned at the beginning of the thread of chairs I'm NOT interested in). I am 100% happy with my new chair choice. I found an inspiration photo that had the idea of what I was wanting and ended up getting chairs very similar.

This is why I don't like that you can't update or change your original post. You get comments that no longer relate, if the original question has been resolved, and our taken a turn, Or the room has been updated.

Thanks for your thoughts though. Just wasn't sure if you were aware the chairs I have now are new and the original question is over.

I'd love to delete this entire thread but you can't. I will probably delete my account and start over, in order to get rid of old threads or to keep from getting outdated old comments that no longer relate. Seems to be the only way around how Houzz has structured the site.

I'll find the people I follow though after deleting and starting a new account.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Hi Willow...just found this..I think you can delete a dilemma post! Give it a try.

• w_house
    7 years ago

Hi Home Interiors, thanks! It's me Willow. I ended up deleting that account, because I couldn't find a way. I had a couple dilemmas that I was getting old comments on after updating things, and decided since I wasn't able to delete or show before and after comments/photos, I'd just start over. Thank you though! ! I couldn't use the same name on new account, and for some strange reason when I deleted the other account, it left the screen name (tothenines? Instead of user name Willow. ) I'm following you on my new account.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Ok...I will be looking for you:))

• emmieluhoo
    7 years ago
    Just wanted to say that I've enjoyed reading through this thread the past couple of weeks and learned a lot from it, so I hope it never "disappears."

Love your final choices and agree with the comment about your skill in asymmetrical layering.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
  • PRO
    sommerge LLC
    7 years ago

White ones!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Sombug77 this is a old post...haven't heard a thing on this thread since May 2016

• The W house
    5 years ago

I couldn't find my old account info, so I'm over here.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County