Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raestr

Pink Frost at Lowe's

I picked up 2 gallon size Pink Frost Hellebores at Lowe's today for $17.98 each. I really wanted 3, but I hadn't planned on spending that kind of money today on plants. Just thought I would pass this along in case anyone else was interested.

Comments (10)

• pugetsoundgardener
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I got a couple Hellebores (not sure what type) at Home Depot for $13 a couple weeks ago. I've started my collection!

• posierosie_zone7a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I got two hellebores that look similar to pink frost from trader joes for $9.99 each. They have a nice upright habit. Restraint had me buying *only* two.

Please excuse the red amaryllis photobomb

• pugetsoundgardener
    8 years ago

Yeah I used restraint and bought only two, as well. But now that I have them in the ground, and they look fabulous, I'm heading back for more. Oops...

• posierosie_zone7a
    8 years ago

High five pugetsound! I told my husband I got a deal based on the prices here (wink)

• sam_md
    8 years ago

'Pink Frost' just in time for Easter. I must say, as a potted plant they are really handsome. Shown here at Wholefoods in Baltimore this morning. 6" pot full of flowers sells for $15.99

• raestr (z8 Central Ala)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Our Lowe's is sold out. I went in last week to check out their Clearance racks and I made a point to look for the hellebores. All gone, but I did pick up a few armeria and dianthus that had been marked down to $1 each. They had a bunch of Easter lilies and Knock-Out roses also in the Clearance section, but I didn't check to see how much they were.

• Brenda Philips
    7 years ago

I purchased these at stop and shop one year and now they are in my garden. They've been blooming for a while and just transitioned from pink to a deep rose... just beautiful. Does this species come in other colors? I love the way the foliage stays beautiful through the growing season...other hellebores leaves look don't look so nice once the flowers are gone.

• aluvaboy
    7 years ago

Burpee seeds in PA had a similar one - Kingston Cardinal - at 50% discount a week ago. Regular price is $17.95. Since it was offered at the discount, I bought 12 to do a mass planting in an area in my garden. I just received them on Friday by UPS and the plant looks healthy and strong. I won't be able to see the blooms until next year. I had previously ordered 5 different types from Burpee at full price. I think I am hooked to this. LOL.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

bph, Pink Frost is an interspecific hybrid of H. niger and H. lividus. That limits the coloring to either white or pink or some combination thereof :-)) Other ballardiae hybrids will produce very similar coloration - look at Merlin, Maestro, Cinnamon Snow, Mahogany Snow - they will all look very similar with just subtle variations of color. And yes, the very attractive and persistent foliage is one of the major attractions of these hybrids.

aluvaboy, Kingston Cardinal is nothing like Pink Frost. It is a so-called oriental hybrid, xhybridus, and comes from completely different parentage than the ballardiaes. It also grows differently, has a different hardiness rating and tolerates different growing conditions. If a range of color in your hellebores is what you are looking for, then the xhybridus varieties are the way to go. They offer the widest color selection, with flowers ranging from green, white, yellow, apricot, all manner of reds, pinks and purples, slate blues to almost a solid black flower. And many with spotting or picotee edges, as well as the doubles like Kingston Cardinal.

And just an aside, 'Kingston Cardinal' was "appropriated" by Burpee's when they purchased and subsequently closed Heronswood Nursery in Kingston, WA, just up the road from where I live. Heronswood was owned by world famous plant explorer and nurseryperson, Dan Hinkley, who developed this hellebore selection among others and the credit for bringing this plant to market rightly belongs to him and NOT Burpee's.