Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spataro_linda

Update or sell?

Linda
8 years ago

My kitchen is the original and our house is going on 22 years old. The large amount of counter space was great when we had 4 kids living at home, but now it is just the 2 of us and renovating the kitchen seems overwhelming. We have white tile floor, light oak cabinets, a dark green countertop and backsplash that is white but with dark green and burgundy accent tiles., and white appliances. Where do we start??

Comments (17)

• qam999
    8 years ago

It all depends on:

* Your goals (just freshen it up? prepare to sell? make it cozier for 1:1 usage? plan for big adult parties? etc.)

* Your budget ($100 to $300,000)

* Condition of what's there (cabs are shot, so-so, or still great condition? etc.)

* How well or not well you like the existing colors and layout

Without knowing any of the above, I'll just take a blind shot and say, replace countertop and backsplash with something more neutral and sophisticated. Perhaps a limestone-colored engineered stone (aka "quartz"), and vertically-oriented elongated subway tiles in a pale shade. Then update hardware and perhaps faucets.

Linda thanked qam999
  • PRO
    Jason Chambers, Architect
    8 years ago

First question. Do you like the neighborhood/town you live in? If yes, the renovation stuff will work itself out. There is a value in YOUR home. And the challenges you face are organization of space and possible upgrading of finishes. And I second the comments above. But answer the first question first.

Linda thanked Jason Chambers, Architect
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

run away! run away!

ok... but consider if you would love to live in a slightly different area. after our kids were gone from the house, we moved from the outer suburbs (good schools, more land, etc) to the inner suburbs of boston. so much fun! on buslines! walk to library! great restaurants (and good restaurants) just a block away. never need to find a parking spot at the post office again. not to mention when my husband decided to change jobs he could drive out to suburban companies or mass transit in to the sexy new high tech areas.

not to mention its easier for our kids to visit us now instead of a traipse to the boonies.

anyway, your kitchen is going to need to match your house, so don't go all minimalist if you will move without renovating it yet again.

my advice: if it doesnt need to be renovated to sell (a realtor can tell you) don't touch it right now. think about if the two of you want a change. doesnt have to be a big change.... but its fun doing something new on your own, without having to consider how good the schools are.

Linda thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Linda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That is my response! I loved this house, but it's meant for a family and we have 4 full bedrooms no longer in use - not only am I tired of cleaning it, but it is a bit lonely. My husband will move if I find the perfect new house. Changes don't always come easily....

• Linda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In answer to the neighborhood - yes! Love our neighborhood and neighbors - however, it is inevitable that we will move at some point...I still want a house and yard. We currently have a pool which is fun for the grandkids, but would not likely buy another home with a pool.

• Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We downsized from 3,800 sq ft to 1,700 and are so happy, but it was not easy to find a suitable home that we loved (took us about a year) and we got discouraged in seeing room sizes and knowing we would have to get rid of a lot. Take your time before deciding on the kitchen...if you don't start at least researching, you'll never know what is out there and the type of lifestyle you could have. We love our new open floor plan and that helped with being in a smaller home.

Linda thanked Maureen
  • Linda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would like to update with the intention of moving within the next couple of years. I paid for one decorator to come in and look, and within 10 minutes I wanted to cry. Her advice was to repaint everything beige (walls are currently a light buttercream), change all hardware to brushed nickel, paint the kitchen cabinets, etc.......almost too much to take in considering I work full-time and have to be realistic about the time I have to shop, make decisions, etc....

• Linda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much - those are my instincts. We have almost 3500 sq. feet - I thought going to 2,000, even 2,200 would make a difference. The other thing is that when we all have dinner together, we have outgrown our dining room - so I just need a house that would allow for us to be in the same area for a meal. Are dining rooms ever big enough? We are now a group of 14 - and can still grow....

• Natalie
    8 years ago

Hi---

I say take the advice of the designer and paint all the walls, cabinets, change hardware, and perhaps countertops, because whether you stay or not, those fairly inexpensive renovations will increase your chances for resale. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

Linda thanked Natalie
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

we were fortunate that we could buy before we sold, so the 'paint everything blah color' happened after we were out of the house.

its not too early to have a peek at a couple of open houses in the direction you'd like to go.... its so exciting to see concrete possibilities and makes moving on that much easier.

• Maureen
    8 years ago

Open concepts are the best for entertaining larger groups. We sold our formal pieces and have a harvest table and armoire and with it being casual and comfortable, are using this space daily and lots of people can be accommodated with a flow from kitchen/living room/dining room.

Linda thanked Maureen
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

one other point... i think its better to move sooner rather than later. lots of time to make new friends, while keeping up with the old ones.

• Lisa G
    8 years ago

With the intent of moving relatively soon, I would definitely replace the kitchen counters with one of the nice laminates that resemble granite. I wouldn't necessarily paint the cabinets unless they are in rough shape but you can price out resurfacing them where they put veneers on the cabinet boxes and you get new doors. The backsplash may need to be replaced but that depends on how outdated it really is. Your paint color should be fine unless it screams yellow vs creamy.

• Linda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

All great advice - beginning to look around, take some weekend drives to look, and just open that door a bit. I agree with moving sooner rather than later - I've always had a great deal of energy to zip through cleaning, painting, etc... I want to make a move while I still feel good, and can enjoy a new neighborhood and getting out.

• Linda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lisa, considering that we have a lot of counter space plus an island, I would like to consider a laminate. One person who does remodeling felt that my white tile floor should be changed also - does anyone have any opinions here? My appliances are white and fairly new -

• Maureen
    8 years ago

Do you think that changing the laminate and perhaps the floors will give you more money when selling? I would have a few real estate agents in to give their opinion. They know the market and your neighborhood and might be able to advise if worth it. All the best.