Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzibell526

Not loving my lime washed columns

suzibell526
8 years ago
Lime washed my columns as we aren't quite ready to do a full front remodel. I like it, but something isn't right. I've sanded and can sand more. I thought about painting them the same color as the trim and then sanding some. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions that are easily doable?

Comments (21)

• Rusty Empire
    8 years ago

This is why 95% of the time color washes or changing natural brick is not a good idea. Without unleashing chemicals on this to get it back to the semi-natural state there's not much to be done here. Shame, as the brick flower beds and walkway are nicely done- but now it looks like a mismatched DIY gone wrong. It may be worth an investigative demo (use a concrete blade on an angle grinder) in an unobtrusive area to see what is beneath the clad brick. Once you know you can proceed with removing carefully when ready. Best of luck.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

It is because now you have 2 different brick finishes.

• suzibell526
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm getting anxiety! The columns in their original state didn't match the rest of the pretty bricks. They were orange and flat and downright ugly. The house isn't contemporary at all. I agree with cool tone; that's the problem. Ideas on the best way to fix from here would be appreciated. Since we purchased our home the entire interior and backyard has been gutted and remodeled. Going to be some time before the front can be touched.
  • suzibell526
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I've been the lead designer on all my projects. This is the only blooper. My backyard is stunning as is my interior.
  • terry toon
    8 years ago
    Probably best to paint them now. Can you photoshop the trim color and the body color over the wash?
  • gnujko
    8 years ago
    Could you post a pic from further back?
  • sierra90
    8 years ago
    The columns look pink now, painting them in the trim color and then sanding them might look great if that's doable with the brick. Not sure of technicalities with that. I'm sure someone has an idea- it's a pretty entry.
  • carredondo
    8 years ago
    Before painting have you considered trying a stain? Hopefully you could find one similar to or mix shades to create one that closely matches or complements the rest of the brick. I wasn't sure if this could be done so I searched before posting this comment. wikiHow has an article "how to stain brick."
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Suzibell, what a beautiful home. I actually love the combination of brick and taupe. Maybe a deeper , warmer taupe though with not as much green; more gray. I would just paint the columns as you have said they are not the same attractive brick as your landscaping. This will help them to blend into the house and take the emphasis off of them.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    I suppose your other option would be to do as Rust Empire suggested. See what's underneath! Beautiful square wood columns would certainly enhance this lovely home!
  • suzibell526
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the thoughts...my gut says to paint and sand. If the bricks originally were pretty like the rest of the bricks, I wouldn't have touched the columns. I think a whole house view would have given a better picture, but didn't want my address plate showing. We probably have 4 different brick types used in the front and now that the back is so beautiful, it drives me crazy the front hard scale is so patchy.
  • suzibell526
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'll post a whole house pic in the AM. I really appreciate the ideas.
  • lefty47
    8 years ago

HI -- It will be impossible to restore the column brick back now and the wash isn't working because it clashes with the garden walls brick . I think you could paint the columns and the garden wall brick and just leave the brick on the walkway .

• rocketjcat
    8 years ago
    Since they stick out farther than the beam with your address plaque, it does seem they were added on to smaller original posts. Agree I would paint them the taupe color until you can see what's underneath.
  • emmarene9
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Your address plaque already shows. You could have scribbled it out using Windows Paint.

• aliciaada
    8 years ago
    What a beautiful front entry! On popular remodeling tv shows ( you can guess! ) the lead designer always paints the brick! Does the rest of your home have any darker accents , such as dark trim or shutters? Perhaps you can use that darker element to paint the brick columns . I have a brick house and Tahoe trim so I had board and batten shutters installed - in black- and it looks sharp. Good luck!
  • wickedwhite
    8 years ago
    I would paint the columns to blend in with your house. I would probably paint them the same cream colour as your trim. A few more pictures with a full view of the house would help.
    Btw.. If the brick didn't match your walkway to start with, it was probably the right decision to tackle the columns! You are headed in the right direction.
  • Joy
    8 years ago
    I would paint them, as you suggested. If you paint them the color of the trim you will have a designated entrance to your home. If you paint them the color of the house, your eye will see them fade into the background.
  • suzibell526
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here's my backyard, so you can see why the orange front brick drove me crazy! Landscaping hasn't been done yet. We sub contracted it, so besides an architect drawing the site plans, all design, colors, hardscape design was mine. I searched long and hard for a real stone that combined grays and taupes. Easy to find in synthetic form; not in natural. I'll get a full front pic in a bit.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Very lovely!