Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiona45

white cabinets in kitchen with off white/cream trim in house?

fiona45
8 years ago

I would like white shaker kitchen cabinets but my whole house has cream trim. Will this mix work? I don't want to have to paint all the trim in the house!

Comments (17)

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

i think it would be fine. i have antique white cabinets with white trim. i went with a tile backsplash that hovered between the two, a marble-quartz counter (with white and cream), and an off white and black checkerboard floor. it all averaged out.

• fiona45
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have seen cream cabs with white trim but never white cabs with cream trim. I am worried the white cabinets will make my cream trim look dirty or old. I'm looking for a Quartz or granite that would help tie them together. But still concerned it won't look "right".
  • SewingLadyDi
    8 years ago

So worse case would be that you would have to paint the trim white? Assuming by trim you mean baseboards, door & window casing.

Fantasy brown granite has white, off white, cream, beige, grey & grey blues in it. Search for it on Houzz in photos to see if it is something that you might like. Love mine. I have some cabinets in a medium stain, and an island in cream with a glaze and white trim.

• fiona45
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks SewingLadyDi,
    There is a LOT of trim in the combined kitchen and family room. 4 French doors, 1 bay window, 5 regular windows, plantation shutters and 3 doors as well as base boards, crowns etc. if I painted all that would I have to paint the rest of the house trim?
    I'm thinking perhaps it would be easier to settle for a lighter cream for the cabs rather than white to make the difference less obvious against the antique white trim. I just think if I use antique white cabinets that would be too much and I think it would look rather old fashioned.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

I would stick with the white cabinets and a counter in something like Berwyn from cambria quartz

• HU-547726699
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Ok, I see this post is years old. BUT, this is my exact issue too!!! Remodeling our kitchen..off white trim through the house, which I love, but afraid to do off white cabinets. Afraid the cabinets will looks too yellow and if I do white then afraid it will make my trim too yellow. Using New Quay quartz, I think. I initally picked Fantasy Brown Marble but decided quartz would be less maintenance since we have kids. What did you end up deciding to do???

• fiona45
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    HU,
    I ended up with a new kitchen and new master bath, both with white cabinets. And painting the entire house.......not just the trim......it was worth it.......looked so good I sold the house last year to the first people to look at it for above market price!
    Good luck with your choices.
  • HU-547726699
    5 years ago

Ugh. I don’t want to paint the whole house trim. We shall see! Thanks! Glad it worked out for you.

• jcothorn
    4 years ago

HU,

Did you go with white cabinets? I’m looking to re-do my kitchen and I have cream trim everywhere that I am not re-painting. Hopefully, the white cabinets looked good still.

• albaalmann
    4 years ago

Hi and jcothorn- did you go with white cabinets? I have the same issue. Thanks

• hsankovich
    3 years ago

Same issue for me too!

• Christian Chambers
    3 years ago

Me too. When we picked the cabinet's they seemed to go better. We had a painter even repaint all of our baseboards/trim. I'm panicking a little bit because the cabinets are looking bright. I'm waiting until the backsplash/countertop go in to decide if we need to repaint the trim.

• Dr. Stasek
    3 years ago

Nervous here too. Trim is cottage white, which is a delicate cream, cabinets to be installed are artic white (they POP), thinking of doing the walls cottage white so it will be same as trim, floor to be installed is a delicate cream with light beige swirls and the granite counter and island counter are bold, so it will pop- beige, cream which identically matches trim, black, a tiny bit of bronze. So the bold countertop with white cabinets, cream trim, and either cream or white walls I'm not sure. We are also choosing brushed nickel for the hardware because it looks nice against the White and even the cream and with the countertop it pulls from the black and the countertop and looks very nice. I'll take any comments or suggestions.

• fiona45
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Dr.Stasek,
    As you can see from my previous post I ended up repainting the whole house....not cheap but well worth it in the end. After the new white kitchen cabinets were installed the antique cream trim looked awful...., yellow, dingy and outdated. I tried several granite and quartz counter top materials to try to blend them all together but wasn’t happy with any of the options. The painting changed the entire look of the house and made it look so much more modern, clean and brighter. Sadly, we had to move out of state shortly after our renovation but I was so happy with the results and as I said previously I sold my house before it even went on the market! What a little paint can do! One other note. I hired a color expert/ designer who used to work for Benjamin Moore on an hourly basis who helped enormously in selecting paint, tile and counter top colors. If you are having doubts I would highly recommend hiring someone for an hour consultation. Good luck! I’d love to hear what you decide.

• Dr. Stasek
    3 years ago

Fiona, thank you for your update and thoughts. Maybe paint all white and the counter top will give the room some boldness. None of this was on our radar. We had a leak under a refrigerator and about six very large tiles needed to be replaced once they got to leave taken care of. The tile was older and they didn't make it anymore and the entire downstairs except the family room had this tile in it. So the entire downstairs except the family room has been ripped out and the cabinets we never likes to begin with so they're out so currently our house looks like it has been bombed! And to top it off we are hoping to move in a year or so! So I feel your pain that you had to move right after your beautiful renovation but at least you got a very good deal and it sounds like you're happy with the outcome. I will try to give an update in the coming weeks when things start to get done. They are not going to start with a tile in till the 30th of November so it will be a while. Thanks again.

• Melanie Chambers
    2 years ago

Do what did you end up doing? Pic!?!😀