Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkybunch0

What color walls? Oak cabinets and blue/green countertops

funkybunch0
8 years ago

Buying a house & need design advice. Can't afford to replace anything but want to update paint color. Also, debating if I should leave the baseboard and doors as is (stained wood) or paint them white? My biggest dilemma is what to do with the wall color! It is currently a grayish color which does nothing for updating/brightening the space. The countertops appear more blue in certain light in and green in other lighting. The floors have grey/beige and white tones.

What color walls should I choose?? I am thinking Benjamin Moore's Huntington beige, Manchester Tan, Bleaker beige, or Revere Pewter. However the gray color (revere pewter) scares me because the current gray does nothing for the dated look. Also, would it look weird to paint baseboards white and leave the cabinets oak? Not looking to paint the cabinets I will not paint the countertops at this time. We will be saving up to do a full remodel someday. Only looking for wall paint color input right now. Specific colors would be great. And if you have pics to help me visualize, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Countertop looks green in this lighting...

But countertops look like they have blue undertones here!

So much wood.... Wondering if painting the doors would help brighten the space or if I found a complementary beige/tan that would look nice with cabinets if leaving baseboard and doors as-is would be best.

Also, the table in the above picture is not the table we have. We have a kitchen table that has black chairs/black feet. The tops is a dark walnut color. So I have to try and make the table work with the space too... I could probably splurge and buy black handles/door knobs.. Would that look ok with the color cabinets and countertops??

Comments (33)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 years ago

Move in; don't do anything except remove the window treatments. The kitchen looks clean and quite usable, but out of style. Save your money and your energy for a kitchen re do after you settle in and reassess your budget. Wall paint won't make a difference, nor will painting the cabinets (which can be expensive done correctly).

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

I find that the warm wood cabinets go better with creams and beiges than the grays. Some manage it, but I find it hard to put the warm woods and cool grays together.

I did paint my trim white, but it was initially 1970's dark stained pine and yours is nicer. I do like the combination of the white and wood. The white helps brighten while the wood keeps it warm. The white trim also seems to open up more options for wall color. I have a creamy beige with just enough color to set off the trim.

I have an idea book called "wood and white trim" and another has pics of my kitchen 'in progress' for some pics of how white trim and wood look together.

• funkybunch0
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think the cabinets are in great shape, not going to bother painting them. But would like to know everyone's thoughts on Huntington Beige vs Bleeker Beige on the walls? I feel like Huntington Beige is so classic and the warmth would pair well with the baseboard and door and would actually look nice with the cabinet too! But I'm worried it will be too brown. On the flip side I'm worried that Bleeker beige will be boring and not add much. I want to make the space my own :)

Someone suggested Sea Salt by sherwin Williams but I worry that it would look bizarre paired with the countertop color. Thoughts?

• funkybunch0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Can anyone provide input as to whether or not adding color to the walls would be a good idea? Such as trying to find a complementary color shade of blue or green??

Also so what should I go with for curtains?? Area rug in front of the sink? Having a hard time visualizing how this will look.

• funkybunch0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry, I'm a newbie to this. Can you elaborate more? I have so many varying underlying tones. The cabinets have a honey tone. The floor has a grey tone. The counter has a blue tone. Possibly green tone. Not sure of the orientation... How do I pick one underlying tone? Would Manchester Tan be best since it is described as having a tan undertone? That would complement the floors and countertops right?

• funkybunch0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hubby says the home faces north. So what is a warm color va a dark color? Is Huntington beige warm or dark?

• funkybunch0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

you think Bleeker beige would look OK paired with the floors and countertops?

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

Get the sample bottles of paint that most paint stores have. I think Sherwin Williams are a little pricier at about $7 a jar. Valspar's are about $3. If you paint a piece of foam board, you can place it at different spots and observe it in different light before you invest in a whole can of paint. Light blues and greens do go well with oak. That is why I went with light blue on my counters 19 years ago - but they are getting changed out next month. I personally like to keep my walls light and neutral and add color with decor. But, many like color on the walls and that is fine too. Here is an article with some ideas:

http://bungalowhomestagers.com/2013/10/5-top-wall-colors-for-oak-cabinet-kitchens.html

Black or oil rubbed bronze hardware does look good on oak and black and oak usually mix well. This is a picture from the above article and the dark hardware looks good.

A Roman shade or tie-up curtain would be a more update look over the window:

If all of your doors are 6 panel wood doors - then do not paint them. They actually have more value than white paneled doors. Wood tends to move with changes in temp and humidity which cracks paint at the joints - and doors have lots of joints. If painted, they will require touch ups as well as more frequent cleaning and dusting. You can still paint the casing around the doors.

I agree with Judy to move in and wait a bit. You will be so busy getting settled at first and that will give you time to make thoughtful decisions.

funkybunch0 thanked jhmarie
  • funkybunch0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jhmarie that first pic.. So perfect. The counters have similar blue shade.. Gray floors.. Oak cabinets. Gives me hope I can modernize this kitchen! I'm actually excited now. I was feeling a little overwhelmed because I love Benjamin Moore and it's so expensive so I like to get it right the first try with the color. I do think that even if I pick a neutral color (like Bleeker beige) then going with one of the shades similar to the pics you posted would be a perfect way to add a pop of color.

Regarding the hardware... Is it ever worth it to sand and spray paint? Just thinking aloud here and wondering if that would be an affordable upgrade option..? Or would I risk the spray paint smudging onto the cabinets and ruining them?

• funkybunch0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So now I've narrowed it down to:

From Benjamin Moore:

Bleeker beige

Pleasant Valley

From Sherwin Williams:

Sea Salt

if if anyone else has additional recommendations please send them my way!! Thank you!

• funkybunch0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Purehmichigan, I keep reading Benjamin Moore is such high quality paint it doesn't need primer or more than one coat when being applied to light colored walls. Is that true??

• funkybunch0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Perhaps this is an ignorant question but we want to paint the ceilings due to former smoker in the house.. What color is good for ceiling? Does it matter? I never paid much attention to these color dilemmas until buying a home

• Kelley Dockrey
    8 years ago
    SW Glimmer
  • jhmarie
    8 years ago

I have not done the spray paint on hardware though I have seen some blogs about it. I would probably buy new because I would change the style a bit too.

You have pretty neutral walls now, so probably you do not need primer, but do give your sample spot two coats. That will give you a good true color. Often, even though paints advertise one coat - so much depends on the wall texture, roller used, etc, that sometimes the under color affects the finished look.

• Jennifer K
    8 years ago

If the previous owners were smokers, you'll need to wash the walls down with TSP (wear gloves!). If the walls are permanently stained, you will need to prime with a stain blocking primer-- otherwise the yellow nastiness will just bleed through your paint. Been there, done that.

• PRO
    Colorsmith
    8 years ago

I would paint the walls and ceilings the same color if using light tones-otherwise it will get even more confusing. And I would paint the baseboards and door frames-but leave the doors wood (for now anyway) Choose a nice ivory from BM and use that, as needed, for the trim and when colors might be too much. It will provide you with continuity.

• Bev
    8 years ago

I heard and read online that painting your ceiling the same color as your walls will make a room look larger. If you paint your ceiling white, it will make the ceiling appear lower than it is.

• tombly
    8 years ago
    The woodwork on the doors and baseboard is nice and it looks to be in good condition. Painting it white will take away that, it will look no different than fiberboard moulding and hollow core cheap doors. Since you are planning on doing a remodel down the line, trying to preserve nice details so they can be present in your remodeled space would be a good idea. Until than, avoiding putting color on the walls will brighten up the space, color will make all of the flaws in the current design pop in the floors and cabinets . Crisp white walls would really help brighten up the space and provide a good base for your decor. also maybe paint the kitchen cabinets, that will really make the space look less stuffy and 1980s.
  • funkybunch0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I keep reading if washing is necessary. I've been told by several people that if we opt for kilz primer and/or latex paint primer then we should be all set.... No visible smoking stains but a faint odor in one of the rooms

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

I think you will be OK with primer (Kilz or Zinsser) for sure. Paint and primer might work too. I bought a house from a former smoker as my first home - years ago, and didn't know any better and just painted - it was a good brand of paint and I came out OK. The biggest help was taking out the carpet with the added benefit of finding beautiful hardwood underneath.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I would get a paint deck and match the counter top to a color in the paint deck and then go two or three or four shades lighter on the paint chip and paint your walls that color. Let an existing color in the room be your design start. Buy a sample and paint it next to the counter color and see what you think?

Add a Roman shade over the sink in woven wood for a more modern look. Select a print for curtains or Roman Shades the sliders. Select accessory colors from your curtain print/pattern/solid.

Here is a tan color with oak cabinets and white trim and the cabinet reminded me of your counter top. Does that help you visualize better? Check more info for additionl informtion on this room.

The wall color is C2 paint color Vicuna aka more info.

White is Vintage White by Benjamin Moore #2116-20.

The article says Vintage Wine but I think they meant Vintage White? You will have to check number with BM.

Green is Waterbury Green by Benjamin Moore HC 136

Alll done in Satin Finish.

Classic Mount Baker Tudor · More Info

• funkybunch0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Perhaps a dumb question but if I use kilz primer can I put Benjamin Moore over it? Or do I need a BM primer on top of that?

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

You can put the BM over the Kilz.

funkybunch0 thanked jhmarie
  • cahando
    8 years ago
    I agree with the primer first, and have had better luck with the Zinsser Bulls Eye over Kilz. I have also used Sherwin Williams Super Paint which includes primer. The later worked well for general smoke smell and covered the stains and scuff marks on the walls and ceiling. However, in the kitchen there was kitchen smoke and grease residue and required the primer first. Actually above the stove, I used two coats of primer, and then the Super Paint.

I agree with the reader about the paint samples. I chose two densities when deciding on paint for the living room. Larger samples definitely make a difference.

Good luck with your remodel and congratulations on you new home.
    funkybunch0 thanked cahando
  • mtnmom9
    8 years ago
    You can buy inexpensive cabinet pulls on Amazon. I bet switching them out for more modern oil rubbed bronze pulls would help a lot. Try to match the existing hole spacing.
  • mtnmom9
    8 years ago
    My other suggestion: replace your faucet with a taller gooseneck style. We replaced a similar faucet and kicking ourselves for not doing it years sooner.
  • funkybunch0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So I just came across this blog which recommends a midnight blue to help make the cabinets pop. Would this look ridiculous in my kitchen though because of the teal countertops??

http://www.thekitchn.com/this-is-how-to-deal-with-honey-oak-cabinets-paint-the-walls-midnight-blue-kitchen-spotlight-201548

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

It might be a problem with the countertop - but not if the blues harmonized. For me it would be too dark - but that it a personal preference.

• Jennifer K
    8 years ago

Blue is the complement of orange. So if you want to bring out the orange tones in your wood, then blue's your guy.

If you do go with navy, the cabinets will definitely pop. It's a look that I like but you'll find a lot of questions on Houzz about "orange wood" and how to get rid of it. Secondly, you'll need to add more lighting at higher wattage to your kitchen for the navy to work. Otherwise your kitchen will be a cave.

Whether the teal will go or not... well the colours will probably be fine together. But that's a pretty intense mix. You may find it quite wearing after a short while.

• Whitney Roman
    6 years ago
    I currently struggle with you're exact kitchen situation and I do not know what color to paint it because I have a living room with RED carpet and want to make sure that the kitchens colors can also fade and compliment the living room and dining area.

What color did you end up picking or using in the end for you're kitchen?
  • Whitney Roman
    6 years ago
    I figured I'd paint my walls this color but I don't know what it is
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

Whitney - you might want to start a new thread with pictures to get more responses - old threads tend to get passed over.

I used Valspar Savory Beige (former called Churchill Hotel Ecru) in most of my main rooms and i have oak cabinet, but white trim - pics in my "my pics" idea book, but computer monitors are poor for showing true color.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!