Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtlondon

Is my Garden too small for a Garden room?

Ella Tomson
11 years ago
HI Houzz Community. I am having a garden dilemma. I wanted to install a garden room at the end of a small city garden that will be a much needed office space. I am however worried that the garden area itself will then be too small. As it stands the Garden is presently 6.5m deep by 4.7m wide. The garden room would be 2.14m deep by 4.7m wide and that after it is built it would leave us with the remaining depth of 4m deep by 4.7m wide. We basically need to accomodate seating a BBQ and a daybed area. Should I build the room or would it really cramp the garden? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (13)

• rinked
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If you really need the space, it's worth it. A 4x4 patio is still a nice to sit and eat.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    It would be tight but not impossible to fit the items you mentioned.

San Francisco Decorator Showcase 2009: Edible Deck Garden · More Info
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    11 years ago
    So many options with your space...i liked this one as there is no maintenance..no grass cutting. But, personalize your deck roomy enough to hold your furniture. Enjoy both of your new spaces.
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    Bamboo can be major maintenance! My mom had it in her backyard, it even grew through the neighbour's shed floor (concrete!) and it took us two years to kill it (which included digging trenches in the entire garden).
  • candicenorth
    10 years ago
    I work in housing and have seen what bamboo can do, nightmare.com but it is beautiful! You can always plant in pots, won't grow so beautifully, but does grow well :) and can work well as a feature.
  • PRO
    Solda Pools Ltd.
    9 years ago
    As a designer, I have to work on paper. Draw it out in plan view and begin to break down what the space needs, how much each activity requires and from there you will be able to determine if it is just too much for one yard.
  • PRO
    House of Green
    8 years ago

any results yet?

• laura5415
    8 years ago
    Bamboo is illegal to plant in the ground where I live. If you do put it in a planter make sure you reinforce the planter with steel sheets. Place the at least one or two steel sheets under the planter. My sister just spent $20,000 hiring a backhoe and a team of Bamboo "eradicators" to dig down pull up all the bamboo and place a steel wall in the ground thru preventing the neighbors bamboo from coming back over. My sister was sued by her neighbor because the bamboo originated two houses over, but when it spread from my sisters yard, she was libel! Grow it in a glass container in your home, don't take it outside there are so many other ways to "privacy landscape"
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    The rhizome type bamboo is what this post is referring to. There is another type called cluster that does not send out shoots. I have had a small group of Giant Timber Bamboo for 9 years and it has not spread at all. Each can has a 7 year life, then it dies, you cut them out and new canes sprout up from original container. It is wonderful privacy screen and beautiful back drop for our pond and water feature. Just wanted to put that info out there.
  • violetsnapdragon
    5 years ago

Easy folks! I think the photo was more about the hardscape than the bamboo. I like to take newspapers and tape them together (or use a tarp folded to the dimensions you want) and place them in the yard to represent the design you are interested in and it gives you a pretty good idea of how well the hardscaping/furniture will fit BEFORE you do the heavy lifting. Hope that helps!

• Sharon
    5 years ago
    Before delving too far into dimensions, what are the legal set back requirements for building? You may not be able to build anything, or size may be dictated by these. Determine that first, no need getting ahead of building code.
  • jck910
    5 years ago

post is 5 years old

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm