Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deborahjarman

Finally, dream home library! Want to incorporate game table???

Deborah Jarman
8 years ago

My husband has a vast collection of leather bound books and we finally have a home that has a space that is large enough to house them all in a home library. Cabinets are nearing completion and two leather recliners will be delivered next week. We have an antique French chandelier that we'd like to use over a game table, but not sure where the table should go. Purchased sconces that are similar in design that will be mounted on fluted faces of the book cases. Centered on the end opposite the reading area, or off to the side away from the bar area? Do not have the table yet, but am envisioning an antique pedestal table with four comfortable chairs for playing cards, board games or just sitting around with family or friends with a cocktail. Also not sure what to do under the window. Have included photos as well as an overhead scale drawing from the cabinet maker. Electrician is coming soon to hang sconces and do wiring for the chandelier, so need to determine where the game table will go. Probably around 48" in diameter.

Reading end where two leather recliners will go with Chippendale lowboy between with reading lamp.

Opposite end with bar area to the right. Bank of drawers in the center with cabinets flanking them and two bookcases on either side and shelves above center with arched top. All cases will have crown molding.

Leather recliners for reading end.

Antique chandelier that we want to hang over game table.

Comments (149)

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Gypsy. Which table are you referring to? And the round rug is growing on me too!

• gypsyrose17
    8 years ago

If I remember correctly, it was a smaller round occasional table with a clock under the glass top.

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You're funny Gypsy! The clock table happily resides in someone else's house, 1200 miles away.

• gypsyrose17
    8 years ago

Well....guess the clock table is out of the picture :)

Deborah Jarman thanked gypsyrose17
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    8 years ago

Thank goodness!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 years ago

Your chandelier is Art Deco...my best guess. If you want to hang it over a game table, I would scour antique sources for a table in that design.

Also, research the appropriate light bulb for your chandelier.

Deborah Jarman thanked JudyG Designs
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago

I am very anxious to see your beautiful library in it's completed form. It is the most lovely room I've seen for a long time. For sure outside of a castle anyway. Wiliam & you have impeccable taste & nothing from us is needed except accolades!!!!

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow Sandra! I am humbled by your very kind words and compliments. Thank you. Glad you are enjoying our "impeccable" eclectic taste. Electrician just left, so sweeping up and putting things back in place. Then it is William's turn to get back to the task of putting books away. My mother is coming for a visit a week from today, so pushing to get it done, as my stepfather is a book lover and is anxious to spend some time in the new library.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    8 years ago

Hmm, then you will need a barcode scanner on a borrowing desk.

8 years ago

Practise saying "shhh".

• gypsyrose17
    8 years ago

Absolutely "LOVE" your library, there's nothing like curling up and reading a real book, and in that room I would just keep reading until I had read them all. About the only thing you're missing is a secret passage behind one of the shelves :)

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No secret passage doors in the library, but I do have one in the kitchen which I love as much as Bill loves having a library. House in Washington had no pantry. I'm in heaven here!

• gypsyrose17
    8 years ago

Now I'm really jealous...would love to have a pantry...most of my appliances are in the garage on shelves,,,beat putting them on top or bottom shelves of cupboards.

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mine were stored in the laundry room and home gym in a cabinet. Feeling very lucky. This pantry is about the size of my former kitchen! C'mon over for a visit. You can curl up with a book and I'll whip us up something fabulous!

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lighting is in, all books are on the shelves sorted by genre and in the correct order. Have started working on adding bookends. Still need to decide on art, grass cloth/wall covering, and blank off the wiring from the tv projector and outlet on the ceiling. Getting close! The art glass piece was awful in person, so it is on its way back to Wayfair. Bill likes the table with no chairs, so I guess my search for chairs is over. Thanks everyone for your help!

• PRO
    8 years ago

Okay, Bill, but what use is the beautiful table without chairs!

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

He says he doesn't want it "cluttered up" with a bunch of furniture that blocks the view of the books. I asked what use is it to have such a wonderful library with no seating for hanging out. Does he plan on giving walking tours? He thought I was being snippy.

8 years ago

A table like that without chairs would normally have a tall sculpture or substantial vase of flowers on it. I can see that water would be a problem with antique books. What about a sculpture in the middle?

Deborah Jarman thanked Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Unless Bill is extremely short, chairs around the table should not block his view of his books when he is standing in the room. I don't think you were being snippy. More likely he was being obstinate.

Deborah Jarman thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • eightpondfarm
    8 years ago

you have some wonderful things happening in there! i don't like your rug. i think you can do better. Is it possible for you to shop for some other nice Persian rugs that might occupy the whole room (and not be round)?

Deborah Jarman thanked eightpondfarm
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

i understand bill not wanting the chairs, though i think one would be helpful. I have many reference books, so i like to use a table to open them, some are quite large. and it allows you to open more than one book for research, or bring in the laptop for alternative research. what i do not get is the tv? but to each their own.

Deborah Jarman thanked havingfun
  • Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

He's 6'4". I agree with obstinate. It has been a lot of work for him sorting and putting all of the books away, so I'm trying to give him a little latitude. He didn't want me meddling (I considered it helping), so he did most of it on his own. However, my mother and her husband are coming Wednesday for 6 days and they enjoy board and card games, so the chairs that I got on Craig's list will be in place for their visit. I think once he sees how enjoyable it is to have gaming in there, he will come around.

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Have fun: There is no tv in here. The room was a home theatre when we purchased the house a couple of months ago. We gutted it and transformed it into a library.

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks eightpond for your input. I like the hand scraped hickory floors, so do not want to cover the entire floor. The library is my husband's passion, so I'm doing my best with his very firm stance on many things.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

got you deb, sorry, did not see bit about tv before. Not having seen every thing and being new? To me, being a book lover - and always wanting a library, i think i would go with his idea? I know it seems wasteful, but sometimes?

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is the before...

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bill gives me a lot of freedom to do (mostly) what I wish with the rest of the house, so if his library is not my vision, I can live with it. It's much better than what we had in our previous home for his books.

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is my next room to tackle. It is going to be my craft/sewing room. The little house is actually 3 dimensional with actual roofing tiles and a door that leads to another room, where I plan to store sewing supplies, gift wrap, Christmas decor. Love the whimsy of the mural. It will be a happy place to get creative.

8 years ago

Post a link. "Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go!"

• Elyn's Library
    8 years ago

Ahhhh - after seeing the "before" picture, now I understand the funky window. I still like the upper bookshelf-window seat-velvet drapery thing; but I understand Bill's reached his saturation point with all the meddling/advice/suggestions for his dedicated space. Never mind - it is his Library to grow into, adapt and improve as he lives with this space through time.

That said - the only thing thing I would add at this time is a reading lamp of his choice between those two comfy looking reading chairs. Could be a table lamp. Or I have been looking at discreet but useful floor lamps that might be fun to look at - but nothing flashy to take away from those beautiful books and that stunning chandelier.

Something like this simple, elegant glass shaded lamp - [https://www.houzz.com/products/quoizel-lighting-tfas9360va-asheville-tiffany-floor-lamp-in-valiant-bronze-prvw-vr~23804013[(https://www.houzz.com/products/quoizel-lighting-tfas9360va-asheville-tiffany-floor-lamp-in-valiant-bronze-prvw-vr~23804013)

Or this mica shaded, swing arm "pharmacy style" bronze floor lamp. [https://www.houzz.com/products/mica-floor-swing-arm-pharmacy-lamp-jf-120-78-prvw-vr~16519220[(https://www.houzz.com/products/mica-floor-swing-arm-pharmacy-lamp-jf-120-78-prvw-vr~16519220)

What ever kind of lamp he ends up with, it needs to have a wide, flared bottom on the shade, to shed light on the book in your lap. As much as I love drum shades - they are, generally speaking, not very good reading lamps.

Bill has an absolutely gorgeous collection and it is a joy to see the books so carefully tended.

Deborah Jarman thanked Elyn's Library
  • Elyn's Library
    8 years ago

BTW, your craft/sewing room is an absolute delight. You are going to have a lot of fun in that room.

Deborah Jarman thanked Elyn's Library
  • Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Elyn. You absolutely nailed it when you said he had reached his saturation point. We are the best of buddies, but he was not a happy camper when I gave too much input into a room that he has always dreamed of having and wanted his own stamp on. I wish I would have thought ahead on floor lamps, as I would have had the electrician put in outlets in the floor before the hardwood went in. Oh well, can't think of everything. There are outlets in the bottom shelves behind each chair. Will have to do for now. And yes, I'm looking forward to my play space!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

oh my yes, pls let us travel along a bit on the craft room journey! positively delightful

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Your library looks beautiful with all the books in place! I'm sure when the grass cloth goes up it will look wonderful too! I think I would have added some detailing and color to the ceiling though; but certainly that could be done down the road.
    Deborah Jarman thanked lynartist
  • Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Have Fun. It will be a fun room to do.

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

lynartist, yes, down the road. My husband is ready to enjoy his library and put the task to bed. For now...

• PRO
    Cressina
    8 years ago

If you need a recliner you can also fall asleep in please indulge in one of these (which come in several colors)

Amy Recliner Chair by LAFER · More Info

Amy Recliner Chair by LAFER · More Info

Kiri Recliner Chair by LAFER · More Info

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update. After a respite of family and friends visiting and taking time out from decorating to enjoy a birthday and an anniversary, I'm back on task. Carolyn, you will be happy to know that I found a larger table for between the two leather recliners. I've never seen anything like it with the octopus base. Had to have it! Also found two very old, but in excellent condition Hickory Chair Co. chairs that I love and Bill admits are a good addition to the library. With the castors, they can easily be wheeled up to the table for games, or just provide another sitting area. I know it's a mish mosh of different styles and periods, but so am I! Bonus, the owner of the antique store and I became fast friends and she gave me a lovely antique bar set as a birthday gift. The Hickory chairs were actually from her grandfather's study in North Carolina; apparently he was quite fond of them and never let anyone sit on them. They are truly in new condition.

Still have to hang art work and shopping for grass cloth, but making progress!

Cheers!

• havingfun
    7 years ago

could not have been more to my liking if i did it myself

• Edie Strom
    7 years ago
    Beautiful room! I love books!
    Deborah Jarman thanked Edie Strom
  • Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Have Fun and castusflwr. It was a fun room to do and I really appreciate all of the help and encouragement I had here on Houzz!

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    7 years ago

If anyone is in the know on Hickory Chairs, would appreciate input on when these chairs may have been made. The woman that owned the antique store thought they were early 1900s, but I cannot find anything online that is similar. Thanks in advance.

• PRO
    7 years ago

The chairs are wonderful and also the table between them. What a splendid room you two have created!

Deborah Jarman thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Carolyn. You'll have to come visit sometime!

7 years ago

Terrific! I think the black chairs are far more comfy, than the original ones. Can you ever get your hubby to come out of there?

Deborah Jarman thanked Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
  • User
    7 years ago

That room looks like a dream. I've always wanted a private library. Congratulations on a job well done. Enjoy creating your sewing room.

Deborah Jarman thanked User
  • gypsyrose17
    7 years ago

Wonderful job! The round rug is perfect, and love the addition of your new chairs and octopus table! You have exquisite taste and style.

Enjoy!

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Awww. Thanks Gypsy for the compliment. My mother had an antique store when I was a young girl. I believe that is where I got my eclectic taste from. Was so happy to find such unusual pieces in our new little town.

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The aqua cashmere throws seemed like a good idea in here. Originally from the old guest room. Vendor accidentally shipped twice. When I called to let them know, they thanked me for my honesty and told me to keep both.