Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deethie

Conservatory help...

Jen
8 years ago

Okay, this is our conservatory with horrid-coloured floating floor..we really don't like it and it is now right next to lovely hardwood blackbutt flooring (where the rug is) and a brand new kitchen and all the yellow/orange timber shelf in the middle has also gone (to be replaced with jarrah). The previous owners furniture is in this pic. I can't take a photo now because it is covered with dust and kitchen packaging and appliances...the structure is very creamy and those fabric 'sails' are also cream but can be changed.

We also really don't like the chandeliers. We have just purchased the light below (x2) because it is the only one we found that we both liked (and it was half price).

This will really change the 'feel' in this room. Now we need to decide on new flooring and wall colours (possibly all done in totally the wrong order!). The floors are really confusing me. I want to have heaps of plants in there so would prefer tiles. I'd like the kind of look as below:

A conservatory for plants and people · More Info

French Country Estate · More Info
Both of these photos have light/cream/sandstone sort of tiles. I love the French pattern. My partner is worried that it will look "washed out" because of all the light in there. I think that we don't want a feature floor as we have already done that with the blackbutt. So, will these sorts of tiles look good? Should we go dark grey? I have some other images in my Conservatory ideabook...so confused...

Comments (14)

• Vy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Jen..go with the lighter colour tiles ..something similar to that in the photos..that way your plants/pots will be a feature instead..

it won't look washed out..not if you are going to have lots of plants ..

Jen thanked Vy
  • PRO
    Vanessa Wood Interiors
    8 years ago

PS - I wouldn't go terracotta as it would offer no contrast with the timber... the tiles should tone but not try and match in depth and colour. :)

Jen thanked Vanessa Wood Interiors
  • Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I had forgotten about the plants being the feature! Thank you both for refocusing me onto that.

Vanessa - the Jarrah is just the narrow shelf between the kitchen and the conservatory on top of the half wall there in the middle.

I'm trying not to get too excited about furnishing this space...but I am actually really excited about creating an ultimate 'cup of tea and a book' area :). Can't wait to play endlessly with plants and places to sit :D

• wuff
    8 years ago
    Jen, I really like the idea of travertine or sandstone tiles, wood floor a little risky with all the plants...I love travertine personally
  • Debbie Fisher
    8 years ago

How lucky are you to have such a wonderful space to show off your good taste and decorating skills. This I'm sure will be a stunning space to enjoy and relax in ? It will be great to see the finished product. Fill it with the things you love.

• Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Debbie - I was just talking with my partner about not worrying too much about 'style' and sticking with 'things we love'. :)
  • Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What about wall colour everyone? It is currently a rather offensive creamy-brown. There is one largish wall at the end and the walls around the kitchen window. Should I go bold with a moody deep colour or neutral with a grey or green or grey-green?

Relatedly is using wallpaper in more than one room too much??

Thanks again :)
  • Debbie Fisher
    8 years ago

I like the paint colour in the 3rd pic (Conservatory for plants & people) it is probably a bit traditional but it is relaxing & inviting. I suppose you could have 2 different colours one on either side of the room. You don't really see the internal wall side until you step into the room and it could be a nice unexpected surprise when you step in.

Jen thanked Debbie Fisher
  • PRO
    Vanessa Wood Interiors
    8 years ago

Hello again! A colour that is used a great deal in these settings in England is Farrow and Ball French Gray. It certainly has a green undertone and would be perfect I think. You could then tone it down to quarter strength for instance in the connecting rooms?

Sorry - shown externally but at least you see the colour more clearly in daylight!

• Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Vanessa! Thank you so much for this because I've seen this colour but had no idea what it was (without really trying to look yet - saved me all that time!!). I like this colour a lot. Thanks again :)

• PRO
    Vanessa Wood Interiors
    8 years ago

Pleasure Jen :)

• PRO
    Vanessa Wood Interiors
    8 years ago

Wallpaper - of course more than one wallpaper is just fine - depending on where in the house! I wouldn't recommend adjoining areas but separate bedrooms of course would be fine. If going for some fun, a powder room is somewhere you never spend too much time in (hopefully) and therefore the level of WOW can be much more and your imagination can run wild! I am not a fan of feature walls and that goes for wallpaper as well. Of course, cost can be restrictive but if possible, go all out and paper all walls in a room/space.

• Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I was wondering about the feature wall thing - it might work in the conservatory as the only real wall is the ONLY wall....will have to see and am not sold on this effect here as I have some art I would also like to use. The powder room is on the list for later and I would like to have some fun there too. I was thinking about the study (where I spend too much of my time) and want to create a really cozy space so wallpaper should work well here....just to choose!! Thanks Vanessa :)