Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_hulme

no more white.

Mike Hulme
8 years ago
need some help on the exterior paint color. We can't figure out what color we should paint the house, shutters, new door and add a new roof. (dk gray)

...and we'll get to the landscaping at a later time :)

thanks

Comments (8)

• marylut
    8 years ago
    Considering new roof color, do you like the siding color of any of these homes?
  • emmarene9
    8 years ago

I like the white. I like this style house in gray but I think yours would be nice in a grayed blue. Pale yellow is also charming. Can you put cedar shingles on the middle section?

• Mike Hulme
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    ive trended towards colonial colors (we're in central nj btw) like the colors in those pics. i do like the second one but that would mean a lighter gray roof?

thanks!
  • emmarene9
    8 years ago

I think your current roof color is fine. I would not want the house to be darker than the roof. Are you planning a new roof also?

• Bette P
    8 years ago

Beautiful setting for this house!

You have a lot of roof showing which makes the left side lower level appear low or short. Hard to tell by the photo, can the upper level be changed to siding rather than shingled again? Or is this 'wall angled' like a roof and not vertically straight like an exterior wall would be?

If you keep the shingled area as is, I would think if you choose a roof that is dark grey, you will need a deep paint color on the lower level. Otherwise, your eye will think the lower level will not support the heavy looking roof. I would start saving photos in an ideabook to see what you are drawn to. I entered Mansard roof with dormers and deep roof as a search in exterior traditional photos in houzz. Try to find images that have a dominant deep roof. Trim colour will really define your windows and the peak on the right side.

When it comes time for landscaping, I would keep plantings below the windows, be sure to choose shrubs or perennials that do not grow up above them.

Sears Road · More Info

Cape Cod Shingle Style · More Info

New Cape Cod Home · More Info

Salem Avenue Renovation · More Info

Woodland · More Info

exteriors · More Info

Blue-Green Renovation · More Info

Bozeman bungalow · More Info

• Mike Hulme
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    yes to the roof. we had a kitchen fire so we're replacing the 20 yr roof all over, not just the burnt.

it is angled not straight vertical. going to keep it, mansard roof but only in front not on the back of house.
  • katinparadise
    8 years ago

Hi Mike. Your Mansard roof is a very dominant feature of your house. My concern is that if you go with a dark grey roof, it's going to make the house look very top heavy unless you plan on painting the house dark as well. If it were me, I would stick with a lighter roof-I think it will give you more options for house colors.