Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mca330

Need help with kitchen remodel, please, please

mca330
8 years ago

A few years ago when I married, I moved into my husband's home. It really is not my style, but he is, so I agreed to live here. :-) He said I could change anything I wanted as we could afford, but every time I considered making changes I would get overwhelmed. It really needs everything changed, IMO. I mean, I don't want to sound ungrateful because am thankful for my blessings.

After doing very little to the house for 5 years, I think we both agree that the house doesn't work for us and we'll move. We are empty nesters here and the house is 2 stories with the master down. We never go upstairs. We want something 1 level where we can utilize the guest rooms for other things (office space, crafts, etc.) Financially we probably have to stay another year or two. So, I would like to go ahead and do some things to make it better for us for now, but also spend money wisely for resale value in the near future. I have a little bit to spend, but need to not go crazy as if I were fixing it up to stay forever. Here is what I have in mind and also, what I need advice on:

#1 the popcorn ceiling is going... I can't take it. It is too new of a home to have it. The arrangements have been made for it to go first.

#2 (ADVICE NEEDED) the light fixtures drive me CRAZY. The placement is strange and it looks like the builder went to the sale table at Lowes and just bought what was there. None of them match or even look right together. The big problem that has me puzzled are the 2 windows on the front of the house. They are off center. The breakfast light hangs in the center of the room. Which means it's off compared to the table and the windows. It really is the thing that keeps me up at night.... along with the garage light fixture in the kitchen. The little light over the bar makes no sense, it's to the side, but there's only one of them. Then the light hanging over the sink is black. Please, help? I don't know what to do. All of these lights need to go, but what should I replace them with and WHERE should the placement be?

#3 there are barely any kitchen cabinets in this house. It is a 2500 sf house and such a small kitchen. If we were going to stay, I'd do away with the breakfast area and expand the kitchen with all new cabinets and a new layout. But, I don't want to stay so I don't want to go that far. We have that ugly piece of furniture (the one with white knobs) sitting against the wall to help add more cabinets space. I keep dishes in there. The bar sticks out too far to put a regular set of cabinets on that wall, but I was thinking of putting some upper cabinets on the top AND bottom of that wall to give the kitchen more storage (make the uppers on the bottom look like lowers by sitting them on a base with shoe molding, I've seen this done). Then, paint all cabinets and add hardware.

#4 new counter tops and faucet

and

# 5 new range and microwave in stainless to match the other appliances (the oven is broken anyway and needs replacing).

#6 new paint on the walls and if there is still money in the budget at that point, crown molding on the walls.

Please see my attached photos and give advice/suggestions, esp on the lighting. (sorry I didn't de-clutter for the photos) I cannot tell you the amount of time I've spent standing there scratching my head. Any advice on ideas that wouldn't bust the budget, but would help with resale value. I am so ready to do this, beyond ready, but then I panic because I get confused on the details (lighting, the placement, cabinets, paint colors). Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, also, there is a raised bar over the sink that goes into the living room in addition to the one that's actually in the kitchen. We don't use the one over the sink. The couch is in front of it. Should I just do away with it? I mean, leave the opening, but just make it a pass-thru rather than have a bar overhang?

Comments (5)

• mca330
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thought I'd add... my drawing is pretty much to scale for an amateur.

• User
    8 years ago

Consider closing the pass through to the LR and adding upper cabinets or the new trend of floating shelves for your dishes.

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

You have clear ideas of what to do that would make it more livable for you for the next year or two. Try setting a budget range you'd be comfortable with. Say it's $2000 for concreteness. Allocate $500 or $1000 for things that make you happy, and the balance for sales preparation.

Since the lighting bugs you the most, look online for new fixtures for the kitchen and breakfast nook. Set a budget, say $200 for the chandelier and look online only between $100 and $200. If you pick the chandelier first, the rest can come from the coordinating design line. if you adore shopping, then spend days picking out each fixture. If you don't adore shopping, take advantage of the manufacturer's designers and pick the matching fixtures. Then swag the new chandelier over to the center of the breakfast table, it'll cost you $3 for a hook. Don't move the junction box because you will need to put it back in the center when the house is for sale (you'll be removing the buffet then, and centering the table).

You can check with the manufacturer to see if new cabinets are available in that line or not (hint: the name is usually on a drawer insides). If they are, add them as Patriciarhall says above the sink. You can leave an open passthrough window between sink and uppper cabinets if you wish. If new cabinets are not available, just keep using the white-knobbed cabinet, then move it out when you put the house up for sale.

Replace the broken appliances with the stainless you want. No point in suffering.

Leave the cabinets unpainted for now. If you paint them now, they will ding, chip and scratch before you put up the for-sale sign. I don't think they need painting because they are very nice wood that many buyers love, and it would cost thousands of dollars to have it done professionally.

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

I like lightingdirect.com for quick, easy shopping. They have excellent filtering for various features. http://www.lightingdirect.com. Overstock.com is also good for trendy bargains, but doesn't sort as quickly or easily.

• PRO
    Solar Texas
    8 years ago

Geez! I'd be soooo tempted to demolish that pantry and swap it out with the refrigerator. Some nice, full length double door cabinets where the fridge is located will provide more storage space without a single large door opening into the middle of the kitchen, give you more counter space, open the line of sight from the breakfast room into the living room, get some space between the dishwasher and the refrigerator, and improve workflow. New task lighting would be wonderful.